Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for games with some strategy for larger groups, ages about 30, with college educations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance: Avalon -- 5-10 players, plays in anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes. Social deduction game that is completely awesome. Costs maybe $15 on Amazon, so an awesome value proposition, just like...

Citadels -- you already have it, so I won't explain it.

Not really strategy, but Dixit is fantastic, and if you get the right version of one of the expansions, you get pieces sufficient for 12 players (I didn't get the right version, or I'd give more specific advice there). You could also just make your own additional voting chits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek S
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels is only 2-7, unless you modify the rules/cards yourself.

Saboteur is a good one.
Red November Inn, if you combine 3 sets of it.
Dominion with the base and intrigue sets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MP Szakos
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to consider Upon a Fable (1-6 players) and add its expansion Upon a Fable: New Kingdoms to bring the number of players to 8. A really fun looking abstract strategy, territory building worker placement game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really strategy games for 8+ seem to be rare! For such big goups there seem to be mostly partygames like Werewolf! Saboteur is ok, but simple, no strat. game imo.

The problem about serious strategy games is:
in a strat game your turn lasts "long" so the downtime would be extreme, if playing with 7 others!

Maybe it will be easier if someone is ill(; 7 wonders for example plays with 7 ()

Another aspect: Are you willing to buy an expansion to play a game with 8?? There are several (good) games where expansion allow higher numbers of players (carcassonne, bonanza,...)The 2 posts above mention such game combinations. This would be interesting for further answers.

And what are "games with some strategy"?? Maybe you could give an example out of the "small" games. Should it be as strategic as Village, Puerto Rico, or even Agricola?? Name any games you know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I saw now, you own 7 wonders. If you like it, I'd go that way. I now it only plays with 7, but maybe you could arrange it!! I think it manages the problem of being a strategy game and being playable with many pretty well!
Or did you want to buy a new game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Citadels, Mascarade is by the same designer and plays up to 13. It's a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomdude wrote:
Citadels is only 2-7, unless you modify the rules/cards yourself.

FFG's print ships the with the Dark Cities expansion, which accommodates 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best bet is probably Eclipse + Rise of the Ancients, which will play 9. You get a pretty complex game, with a variety of ways to win. It has both ameritrash and euro appeal. And it will play in under 4 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Break into two groups. It's your best bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D is really fun and can handle up to 10 players, though I don't know if that falls in to what you're calling "strategy" or not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:

Maybe it will be easier if someone is ill(; 7 wonders for example plays with 7 ()

Another aspect: Are you willing to buy an expansion to play a game with 8?? There are several (good) games where expansion allow higher numbers of players (carcassonne, bonanza,...)The 2 posts above mention such game combinations. This would be interesting for further answers.

No need for someone to be ill, 7 Wonders with the leaders (not cities) expansion plays 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for Speed Circuit, it's Formula De for strategy fans. You all pick your speeds at the same time each turn, and there is little room to maneuver. One of my all time favorite games, and not hard to find despite being long out of print. Also has a 2 page rulebook.

I ran a 10 player game with 3 new players, a 2 lap race, and it ran just under 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this: http://boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=rank&advsearc...

- It's an advanced search for games for 8+ players, minimum 200 votes, 6 - 10 in rating, and listed in order of highest rated to lowest rated.

But as others have mentioned, you are way better off seperating into two groups..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Of all people who have nothing to say, those who say nothing are the wisest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered ladies and gentlemen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jukujin wrote:
Break into two groups. It's your best bet.

This is a better recommendation than you may think. There will be less downtime and everyone is more involved. You can always choose medium length games ad switch up the groups in the middle. Lastly, with two different games, people are less likely to get voted into a game they do not really enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek McGuckin
msg tools
Not exactly strategy but lots of fun with big groups is Cash n Guns with the Yakuza expansion. Hard to find though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmb
Vivajavais actually meant for a large group like this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fairly chaotic, but Panic on Wall Street! is tremendously fun, and it works best with large numbers (maxes out at 11 players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Resistance and Citadels and your best bets ... however

Magical Athletes can be rather good with 8 (check forum for how to play with 8) ... but I wouldn't call it heavy on strategy.

In fact there really aren't any 8 players strategies or reasonable length for 8+ IMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks All,
I agree with the many who suggested breaking into smaller groups, but it's a request for a gift, so thought I'd ask the experts (you all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was really helpfull, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
Your best bet is probably Eclipse + Rise of the Ancients, which will play 9. You get a pretty complex game, with a variety of ways to win. It has both ameritrash and euro appeal. And it will play in under 4 hours.

Now that I know you can't split up, I'm gonna jump on this suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig the fallen
United States
flag msg tools
Keen to the scent -- the hunt is my muse. A means to an end, this path that I choose
badge
Wake the White Wolf! Remembrance At Last (by Miracle of Sound)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance is a cheap (about 15 bucks) game which goes from 5-10, similar to Werewolf.

Also check out Two Rooms and a Boom if you want a fast game for a large group, similar to Werewolf and Resistance.

For a less strategic (but still requires thought) game, I'd go with Dixit in some form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klbush wrote:
Thanks All,
I agree with the many who suggested breaking into smaller groups, but it's a request for a gift, so thought I'd ask the experts (you all).

How much do you want to spend? are you willing to buy an average game PLUS an expansion??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.