Subject: Runewars session report: Daqan Lords vs. Uthuk Y'llan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely love the format of these replays, thanks for enriching the community by posting them.

This game is a real gem and I would love to see it get a bit more press.

EDIT: It appears this replay has been deleted along with the original posters entire BGG account at his own request. A real shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marlow
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

We are relative newcomers to Rune Age. We have played a few games, in amongst all the Battle Cry, Elder Sign, and Talisman, etc. We wanted to play a fantasy-themed card-game. We didn't want to deal with a bottomless pit of a bazillion cards divided over endless expensive expansions. Rune Age seems ideal as a self-contained deck-builder that isn't going to break the bank.

We recently played this exact game. My wife was the Daqan Lords (Humans) while I was the Uthuk Y'llan (Demons). We rolled for the scenario, which came-up Runewars. We incorporated the Oath & Anvil Expansion. All the cards are sleeved, the die is freshly polished, the table is laid. So far, so good. The game started with frequent attacks, ignoring everything else.

My Demons started off well and I was expecting to spend the rest of the game tearing apart the Human army. I got as far up the food-chain as buying Blood Sisters and Chieftains. Then my wife discovered Human Bowmen. Every time I laid down a card, it was instantly destroyed by a Bowman. My wife bought EVERY last Bowman.

As soon as I detected this change in Human tactics, I tried to start any attack or defence with Berserkers, before using Flesh Rippers and Blood Sisters, to minimise expensive losses. I took advantage of every opportunity presented by the Event Deck, to no avail. The highlight for the Demons was destroying the only Human Siege Machines card in the game.

Despite all this, the Demons decline was steady and marked. There's not a lot you can do if the game simply becomes you play a card, you lose a card. In the last round I only had a combined total of five cards left in my player deck and discard pile. My understandable first response when I lost the game was, "That was disgusting".

My wife played according to the rules. I don't think the game is broken. I don't think I am a bad player, either. Both my wife and I are as equally familiar with the rules and how to play. Nevertheless, I am convinced the Demons can beat the Humans in an agreed rematch. I am just trying to think of how the Demons can overcome the Human Bowmen to win the game.

I think I should avoid attacking the Humans at the start of the game. I should instead build Gold and Influence, spending the Gold on lots of Berserkers and Flesh Rippers. I think that buying Blood Sisters later on, will mean being able to destroy the expensive Bowmen.

I think that replacing cheap Demon Berserkers is going to be easier than buying more expensive Human Bowmen. Either side can only hold five cards at any one time, at least one of which will be a Gold Card. Each time a Bowman card is used, a card must be discarded from the Human-players hand.

Therefore, in any one round, the Human-player may only use a maximum of two Bowmen and no other cards.

I would greatly appreciate learning how other player's win with the Uthuk Y'llan or what the Demon-player can do to beat the Humans in the Runewars scenario. Feel free to criticise the above strategy I outlined.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow great response. i don't really have anything to add to this extraordinarily complete response!

our most common game is uthuk vs daqan, it's a good fight. The second suggestion (not the second item of the first suggestion) is pretty critical. You always start battle with some low level guys to act like feeders and hopefully draw out their killers.

getting down to 5 cards can be great in this game, assuming they're the right 5. it's one of the reasons rune age is the only deck builder i really like; i hate big piles of cards. when you have more than 5 cards, war chieftains are great to keep the ones you want in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.