The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newbie Location ruling ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Homchuck
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Just learning the game and playing solo. If I complete travel through a location prior to the defend/attack stage do I still need to encounter the enemies before I place the next location card? I am assuming I should. Also curious on timing of placing the new location card and resolving its text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean quest card? If you do indeed mean location card I'm not sure what the issue is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your terms are all messed up, so I can't really understand what you are asking about.

Traveling means taking a location from the staging area and making it the active location.
Location cards are different from quest cards.

If you have a look on the exact terms and repost your question, I think I could help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Homchuck
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Sorry about my poor use of termilogy. Let me try again.
If I manage to place 2 travel discs on a Location card requiring 2 to complete the location I place it in the discard pile and can choose to travel to one of the quest card "locations".

If I complete a Quest Cards travel requirments during the Quest Phase by meetin the progress token requirements, does the next Quest card ie 2B or 2B get flipped over immediately or do I wait until all 7 Phases have been resolved and start with the Phase 1: Resource phase and then flip the new quest card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bodasafa wrote:
If I manage to place 2 travel discs on a Location card requiring 2 to complete the location I place it in the discard pile and can choose to travel to one of the quest card "locations".

Again, there is a mix up of terminology here and I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say. Quest Cards and Location Cards are two different things.

Bodasafa wrote:
If I complete a Quest Cards travel requirments during the Quest Phase by meetin the progress token requirements, does the next Quest card ie 2B or 2B get flipped over immediately or do I wait until all 7 Phases have been resolved and start with the Phase 1: Resource phase and then flip the new quest card?

The next quest card is flipped over as soon as the previous one is fully explored. Any when revealed effects on the new quest card take place then also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever all requirements of the quest card are met, you advance to the next stage immediately.
However, keep in mind that when this happens as you place progress tokens, excess progress tokens do not go to the next quest card. Progress tokens gained against a specific quest, do not carry over to the next one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bodasafa wrote:

Typical locations (those without special rules) can be cleared in a couple of different ways.

1) During Phase 3: Quest, Step 3: Quest Resolution, if your willpower exceeds the threat in the staging area, you must place progress tokens on the active location before the quest card. If you place enough tokens to match the quest value on the card, it is explored, and leaves play (meaning that there is now no active location). Any excess tokens go on the quest card.

2) If you play a card or use an ally that can place progress tokens on locations, either in the staging area or on the active location (or both), then the location can be explored at some other time (e.g., Snowbourne Scout could clear the location during the Planning phase, or Northern Tracker can explore during the Commit Characters set of questing).

3) If you defeat a character with Legolas, or using a Blade of Gondolin, then progress tokens from that effect must go on the active location instead of the quest card. This would happen during Combat.

Regardless of when you explore a location, you only ever have one time when you can select a new active location: Phase 4: Travel (barring certain card effects). Just because there's no active location doesn't mean you get to select a new one; you always have to wait until the next Travel phase. Usually that's after you quest, but the above cases demonstrate that that's not always the case.

As for questing, when you put enough progress tokens on the quest to match its requirements (or meet other requirements), the quest card resolves. You then resolve any effects of this, plus the setup requirements of the next card (unless you've won), before doing anything else. It interrupts everything except Forced effects of the current quest card.

This is all correct to the best of my understanding, and therefore may not be correct; others will be happy to correct where I've gone wrong. I tried to be comprehensive, though, since you seemed a little confused. Hopefully this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bodasafa wrote:

Any overage questing tokens (e.g. Beyond the two the location required) are placed on the actual quest. Any overage quest tokens beyond that needed to complete the quest are lost - they do not pass to the next quest.

Quote:

If you fulfil the quest card (e.g. 2A), you flip it over immediately to the other side (e.g. 2B).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Bodasafa wrote:

Careful, you're referring to the Quest card as a 'location' but this can cause problems. Quest cards and Location cards have nothing in common besides both collecting progress counters to complete. Sure, sometimes a Quest card can look like a Location (eg A Fork In The Road) but the card is not defined by being a place/location - it's more abstract, defined by being the next stage in the story you're trying to complete.

You can only add progress counters to a Quest card when there's no Active Location. In your example, you resolve an Active Location, and may have some excess progress counters. They immediately go onto the Quest card. If this resolves the Quest card as well, you immediately advance to the next Quest stage (eg from 1B to 2A etc). Now, turn order wise you were still in the Quest Phase (3rd phase) and now continue with the Travel Phase (4th). Do you want to travel to a new Location? Since it's now Travel Phase and there's no active Location anymore (you resolved it), you can travel to a Location currently in the Staging Area, making that Location the Active Location. This finishes up the Travel Phase, and you move on to Phase 5 - Encounter Phase. Etc. etc.

Happy questing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually get what you're saying and the answer is yes.

You travel through a location and get travel discs (more commonly called progress tokens) during the questing phase. So if you get enough tokens on the location, it is discarded.

The next phase is the travel phase, and you can travel to a new location, since you are no longer currently at one.

After that comes the encounter phase (where you determine if enemies will automatically attack you), and then comes the combat phase, or the defend/attack phase as you called it.

Does that answer your question?

Also for your other question, if you get enough tokens on a quest card you immediately go to the next quest card. It is a great thing, but at times I have found it works against me as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.