Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had the chance to try this out but I noticed that no one has put up a review of this tile. It seems like this would change up the strategy quite a bit so I thought I'd see if anyone would give there insights on this mini expansion. Does anyone prefer to play using this tile and meeple?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We've played it and we had mixed feelings - I quite liked it but my other half was less sure!

I would say, be very careful when you are reading the rules; my understanding of them is this:

- The tile is available Spring, Summer and Autumn and when you win it, you win the Ghost, however, it has to be returned if you don't use it.

- When you play the Ghost, it frightens away the winning bid and replaces that bid.

- Thus, the winner is not changed, but is now "locked" and the player who used the Ghost wins the scared meeples.

I've hear lots of people say it is over-powered, but they all seem to think that the person who used the Ghost wins the tile and the meeples, but this is not my understanding of the rules. Played as above it is certainly NOT a game-breaker and is just another thing you can do.

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Yep, you don't get the tile when you use Ghost... to clarify..

The rules say:
Quote:
"The ghost is used on its own to frighten away and replace another players winning bid."

So now we know that when another player is winning, you can play ghost to win instead.
then
Quote:
Place the ghost on the same side of village tile as a winning bid and replace the worker(s) that form that bid with a ghost.

You then replace the winning bid with Ghost.

Quote:
The player who played the ghost takes the replaced worker(s) and places them behind their screen.

The player who played the Ghost now gets all the meeples that formed the winning bid. So it is used to steal meeples.

Quote:
The ghost will always win the tile that it has been placed next to. No workers can subsequently be placed onto the tile which the ghost is winning.

This part you've played correctly. The ghost does "lock" the tile.

But let's read onwards, for final clarification what really happens afterwards:

Quote:
Any workers played on the village tile before the ghost was played remain on that tile. At the end of the season, these workers will be claimed by the player who won the tile as normal. (i.e. by the player whose bid was replaced by ghost)

The USER of Ghost doesn't get the TILE. You only get to steal the WINNING BID (meeples) when you use it. The VICTIM of Ghost (the player who was winning the tile already) gets the tile.

To original question, I think it's nice little addition, but not essential by any means. It's worth couple of euros that it generally costs, if someone is asking for more then don't buy it. If you find it cheap and play Keyflower a lot then it's nice little addition. Farmers expansion is addition I really recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried it once the other day, and liked it a lot. It's another fun thing to strategise around, both if you have the ghost and if you don't.

You can lure the ghost player to your bid if you know he needs a certain color. If done right this can be used to deny other players from getting a resource they need, and to make sure the ghost player will get the meeples he needs to screw over another player(not you, if you planned it correctly).

The players who used it did not win a lot of meeples with it. The strongest thing about it is the fact that you get the meeples you steal immediately, so it can be a great way of getting more meeples of a color you desperately need, to get that one tile or resource you need to pull of your combo.

I think the ghost is a nice catch up mechanism for players unable to get what they need, they can bid for the ghost instead and empower their next round with it.

Having the ghost in the winter is very good, so people should bid for it in autumn to make sure it won't be cheap.

The main weakness of the ghost tile is that newbies might underestimate or forget about it, especially in autumn when it's most important to bid for it. Like the summer boats, teaching players should remind newbies of it's power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." - Salvador Dali
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower is one of my all-time favorite games. We don't always use the Key Celeste when we play, but we usually use it when there are no beginners playing. I enjoy the new dynamic it brings. It adds a way for a player to acquire immediately usable keyples, and it gives bidders an additional variable to consider. On the one hand, they can try to make a bid large enough to entice the use of the ghost, and thus lock in their bid. On the other hand, they may be hesitant to do so, if the acquisition of the keyples would be a significant boon to the player with the ghost. One of the things I enjoy in games is having a lot of things to consider when making a decision. The Key Celeste enhances Keyflower in that respect and not, in my experience, in a game-imbalancing way.

Plus, a haunted ship is pretty cool. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.