Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Childers
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love Bohnanze but never play the published two-player variant anymore. We play this instead, which was inspired by a thread somewhere where a person describe dumbing it down for pre-schoolers.

Hands do not need to be a queue; you can play any card in your hand at any time.
Red beans through coffee beans.
Deal six cards to each player to start the game.
Each player has three bean fields and cannot buy more.
Go through the deck once.

Each round has three actions. Both players perform a given action before continuing to the next.
1. Pass two cards to your opponent. Do not look at received cards until you have passed yours.
2. Plant two cards from your hand.
3. Draw two cards to your hand.

The key to the game is that the only way a card gets into the discard pile is by harvesting. Thus as cards are given and not planted, the content of hands becomes more known. This causes a lot of bluffing and angsty decisions but it plays quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bannwart Perina
Brazil
Americana
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this looks really interesting. I'm always sad I can't play this game much, since I find it more fun with more players, and I'm usually only with my wife.

Will try this today if possible and I'll post the results here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bannwart Perina
Brazil
Americana
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MainiacJoe wrote:

Red beans through coffee beans.

Joe!
I tested it with my wife, but I think I got that part wrong...
Exaclty what beans should we play with? (or, if its easier, with what beans should we not play with?)

Very excited with this new variant. Really makes a 1 on 1 game shine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Childers
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for trying it! It's actually been a while since I've played it with my wife, I may have to dig it out myself.

When I say "red through coffee" that means use these (from the base set):

8 Red
10 Black-Eyed
12 Soy
14 Green
16 Stink
18 Chili
20 Blue
22 Wax
24 Coffee

I did not playtest and try different combos, I just thought it would be best not to include the rare Garden and Cocoa beans with their odd payouts, and it worked. You might try other ranges of beans; if you do, let me know how it goes.

- Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bannwart Perina
Brazil
Americana
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Joe! It works and it rocks!

We're doing one aditional thing: since both players do all the phases simultaneously, at the end, when only two cards are available for draw, we immediatly end the game. Everyone harvests what they can, but we don't plant anything anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.