4 Posts

Citadels» Forums » General

Subject: Bluffing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I was playing this last night, I started to wonder why this game is referred to as a bluffing game? There was no bluffing at all, not sure if I'm missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
So you always just took the character that was most convenient, and best for you, never worrying about who took the assassin or the thief.

There is/can be bluffing when selecting the characters, although it's not the most prominent part of the game IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ans the first player for the turn, either take the assassin or note it is buried and state, "I'm assassinating the Merchant." Then you either assassinate the Merchant, or you don't. But it will be one more thing everyone else has to think about when selecting their roles.

Bluffing isn't the main mechanic, but every game with hidden information can rely on misinformation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
I built a merchant district first hand in a 3 player game. Second hand, took Merchant, got assassinated. I reasoned that it would be stupid to make such an obvious move, therefore noone would expect me to do it. I realized that 2nd order strategy wasn't enough, I had to shoot for 3rd order.

By luck of the draw later in the game, I had 4 merchant districts after a round with Architect. I drew my character first and realized the Merchant was in the hole. So I took the card that was the least favored by all in the current setup. The next player took the cards, was sure I took Merchant, and took Assassin. Then the Assassin announced he was taking out the Merchant. I expressed my faux disappointment by grumpily throwing my cards down with the announcement. Then when the King announced my second character, he said "Oh, that one must be in the hole."

I flipped my card, then when I took my second turn, there was a moment of shock. Everyone had played as if I was assassinated, and didn't see it coming. I went on to win. You have to get opponents to expect a certain move, then do something different, that's the bluff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.