Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rafael saiz perez
Spain
cordoba
cordoba
flag msg tools
I have some questions about the following things:

- [9.3] Explanation of retreats in combat results: the retreating unit cannot zigzag. What happens if it does not follow a straight line (but still ends up 2 hexes away from the defending hex) in order to satisfy all the conditions stated in the rules? (avoid EZOCs, enemy occupied hex, ending in friendly occupied hex, etc.) Would the retreat movement be legal or not?

- [10.2] Russian replacements: it is clearly stated that there can be no stacking in cities when the russian replacements appear. But what happens with the other type of terrains? Can several replacements appear in the same hex and obviously be stacked? I have this doubt because in [8.2.2] the rules state that there can only be one unit per hex at the end of each movement phase. As replacement comes before special rail movement then it could be possible to stack the replacement units in one rail hex and move them after just to end up with one unit per hex at the end of the special rail phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rspsen wrote:
I have some questions about the following things:

- [9.3] Explanation of retreats in combat results: the retreating unit cannot zigzag. What happens if it does not follow a straight line (but still ends up 2 hexes away from the defending hex) in order to satisfy all the conditions stated in the rules? (avoid EZOCs, enemy occupied hex, ending in friendly occupied hex, etc.) Would the retreat movement be legal or not?

They define "not zigzag" to mean that "each hex of retreat must take that unit a hex further from the defending hex)" so making a gentle turn (60 degrees) after the first move, so that it still ends up 2 away from its starting space, is fine. It doesn't have to move 2 hexes in a straight line.

Quote:
- [10.2] Russian replacements: it is clearly stated that there can be no stacking in cities when the russian replacements appear. But what happens with the other type of terrains? Can several replacements appear in the same hex and obviously be stacked? I have this doubt because in [8.2.2] the rules state that there can only be one unit per hex at the end of each movement phase. As replacement comes before special rail movement then it could be possible to stack the replacement units in one rail hex and move them after just to end up with one unit per hex at the end of the special rail phase.

The rules say:
rules wrote:
Newly placed Russian units (i.e., those being brought in from off the map) appear by being placed along the northeast, east, and southeast edge of the map, along the red border, in any empty hex not in an enemy Zone of Control – OR – in any empty, friendly controlled city ...

I guess you are thinking of placing 2 replacements simultaneously into a single empty hex? Interesting; I suspect the intent is that the replacements arrive sequentially, not simultaneously. Especially because of rule 8.22:
rules wrote:
[8.2.2] Stacking: A unit can enter a hex containing a friendly unit, but there can only be one unit in a hex at the end of each Phase.

The Replacement Phase is a phase, so there can only be one unit in a hex at the end of it. So you couldn't put 2 new units into a hex in the Replacement phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rafael saiz perez
Spain
cordoba
cordoba
flag msg tools
Thanks for your reply.

Concerning the 8.2.2 rule I first understood that it was related to the movement rule and so to the movement phases but I think it makes more sense to link it to any phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rspsen wrote:
[9.3] Explanation of retreats in combat results: the retreating unit cannot zigzag. What happens if it does not follow a straight line (but still ends up 2 hexes away from the defending hex) in order to satisfy all the conditions stated in the rules? (avoid EZOCs, enemy occupied hex, ending in friendly occupied hex, etc.) Would the retreat movement be legal or not?

Russ' response is essentially correct -- the unit doesn't need to move in a precise "straight line," it can change direction when retreating, as long as it ends up two hexes away from its starting point.

rspsen wrote:
[10.2] Russian replacements: it is clearly stated that there can be no stacking in cities when the russian replacements appear. But what happens with the other type of terrains? Can several replacements appear in the same hex and obviously be stacked? I have this doubt because in [8.2.2] the rules state that there can only be one unit per hex at the end of each movement phase. As replacement comes before special rail movement then it could be possible to stack the replacement units in one rail hex and move them after just to end up with one unit per hex at the end of the special rail phase.

No, you can't "stack" reinforcements/replacements. If you don't have enough free/open hexes to put them in unstacked (which can easily happen if the Soviets are bottled up in the NE map corner around Moscow), the unused replacement points are lost.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Campaigns in Russia" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.