Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Hey all...
I'm probably in for another long day with the following build, but the game is fun to play and we've got an enjoyable group playing it.

Here we go:

Enterprise D (28)
Picard (6)
Sulu (3)
Spock (5)
Total (42)

Galaxy class (26)
Sisko (4)
Scott (5)
Total (35)

Miranda class (18)
Captain (0)
Total (18)

Elite attack die (5)

Fleet total (100)

The thought is that the Miranda class will be strictly planet oriented, while the two Galaxy class will be planet oriented on the first turn only.

The intention is to not use the Miranda class for any action against other ships. I'm relying on four attack dice from each of the Galaxy class, which probably isn't going to be enough offensive punch to matter, but I'm hoping that the quality of the four dice will help.
Besides, I'm stubborn about a faction pure build.
Our other Fed player has cracked a little and is allowing a "non-blue ship" in today's action.
I told him he's currently on probation from the Federation...

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us know how it works out for you. I am especially interested as I have a friend who is stubbornly purist about fleet building, to the point of making himself non-competitive in the first of his two OP 2 events (he did score the Ch'Tang in his second event as he witched up a bit and also bent on "purity" allowing for Romulan plasma torpedoes on one of his ships... he did have an extended in-universe explanation for how this was allowed... something about the novels and the Gorn or something). So, I would be curious if your build works. Also, did 4-ship builds seem to be the order of the day (with one dedicated to planetary action only)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Use Scotty instead of Spock with Picard, you will be much happier.

360 5 dice attack with Battle Stations happy
Also on the Galaxies I would put shield boosters, I have surprised of late how often you can boost shields if you had the card to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
Use Scotty instead of Spock with Picard, you will be much happier

He has Sulu already. You cannot activate Sulu and Scotty in the same turn. Spock on the other hand does activate with Sulu, removes a defense die and on 4 hits, will statistically add one more. I really like Scotty and have used him with these other two guys in 50 point builds, but you'd have to Swap him for Sulu in this build if you so felt led.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A N/A
msg tools
Uss defiant 24
Picard 6
Sulu 3
Q torps 6
=39

Defiant class 22
Sisko 4
Data 3
Q Torps 6
=35

Reliant 20
Terrell 1
=21

Command Pips 5

Total 100

Just some food for thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
jmdt784 wrote:
ryolacap wrote:
Use Scotty instead of Spock with Picard, you will be much happier

He has Sulu already. You cannot activate Sulu and Scotty in the same turn. Spock on the other hand does activate with Sulu, removes a defense die and on 4 hits, will statistically add one more. I really like Scotty and have used him with these other two guys in 50 point builds, but you'd have to Swap him for Sulu in this build if you so felt led.

Yep, this is my thinking.
Allowing for the obligatory first couple of turns "planet stuff," it seems like tripling up Picard, Sulu and Spock would allow for activating Sulu on most every turn, and then choosing the second action based on the position. A scan would potentially allow Spock's ability to kick in, while taking a target lock (assuming low threat) or battle stations (assuming high threat) would also still be an option.
That's the theory anyway.
Thanks for the feedback.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Romero
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmb
The problem I see is that your opponent focus fires the Miranda and now you are down on points if you don't destroy an enemy ship and he refuses to engage. OTOH, with good maneuvering you might be able to fire first. Another worry, if your opponent uses two ships with Advanced Weapons Systems your torpedoes are likely to be useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
underling wrote:
The intention is to not use the Miranda class for any action against other ships. I'm relying on four attack dice from each of the Galaxy class, which probably isn't going to be enough offensive punch to matter, but I'm hoping that the quality of the four dice will help.

It'd lose you another attack die, but if you replaced the generic Galaxy with the Defiant, you could put Terrell on the Miranda. This is pretty similar to my current plan (and Mattorium's, it seems, give or take a few torpedoes); it's obviously great news for Sulu, but also a Terrelled Defiant is just about the best possible opportunity to use Scotty's phaser boost.

The main thing I'm wondering is how well the Miranda can hide behind the planet while still being within range 1 of your attack ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Romero
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmb
kobold47 wrote:
underling wrote:

It'd lose you another attack die, but if you replaced the generic Galaxy with the Defiant, you could put Terrell on the Miranda. This is pretty similar to my current plan (and Mattorium's, it seems, give or take a few torpedoes); it's obviously great news for Sulu, but also a Terrelled Defiant is just about the best possible opportunity to use Scotty's phaser boost.

The main thing I'm wondering is how well the Miranda can hide behind the planet while still being within range 1 of your attack ships.

Line abreast or the two Galaxies on front would do nicely to keep range 1. Not hard with some thoughtful maneuvering. Also, keeping the weaker ship on the rear forces your opponents to get a bit closer if they want to hurt the Miranda or Defiant. The thing to keep in mind is that Terrell would move first, so you must be careful as to not to bump and lose actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Okay, I thought I'd give a quick recap of the three games today. I didn't write anything down, so I don't remember what each opponent specifically had.

#1 loss
Opponent: Federation-Romulan mix (no cloaked mines). I got shut out, through not so great maneuvering (isolated my generic Galaxy against a two ship attack), opponent's fairly good die rolling, and my not so great die rolling. I think he's a fairly experienced player, though, with also a lot of X Wing experience.

#2 win
Opponent: Klingon-Federation mix (no cloaked mines). This player was a new with minimal AW experience. He got my Miranda on the last turn of the game, but I had taken down a 30 point ship of his, and also controlled the planet.

#3 loss
Opponent: Klingon-Romulan mix (three cloaked mines). This guy was an experienced player who's been playing roughly the same force throughout the OPs. He finally was able to track down the Miranda about 2/3 of the way through the game, had control of the planet, and I wasn't able to chase any of his ships down.

Several recurring themes stood out:

* Circling the planet.
* Squishiness of the Miranda.
* If you want to win roll better.

The scenario was fine, although I heard several comments on how it got a little boring because it seemed to boil down to endlessly circling the planet. The mines weren't too bad to deal with, although they can certainly influence your action choice, your direction of movement, and how long you stay in a mined area. I suffered a little damage from them, but scanning seemed to keep that to a minimum.
I also didn't feel too terribly under-gunned, although it's still tough getting through a cloaked defense. Picard and Spock, along with the elite attack die, seem to minimize the low quantity of attack dice.

All in all it was a good time, although I'm thinking that the Defiant suggestion, with Terrell on the Miranda, may be a better build than what I tried. Any small ships that you can't keep protected in this game are really in for a fairly short stay on the board.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
underling wrote:
Okay, I thought I'd give a quick recap of the three games today. I didn't write anything down, so I don't remember what each opponent specifically had.

#1 loss
Opponent: Federation-Romulan mix (no cloaked mines). I got shut out, through not so great maneuvering (isolated my generic Galaxy against a two ship attack), opponent's fairly good die rolling, and my not so great die rolling. I think he's a fairly experienced player, though, with also a lot of X Wing experience.

#2 win
Opponent: Klingon-Federation mix (no cloaked mines). This player was a new with minimal AW experience. He got my Miranda on the last turn of the game, but I had taken down a 30 point ship of his, and also controlled the planet.

#3 loss
Opponent: Klingon-Romulan mix (three cloaked mines). This guy was an experienced player who's been playing roughly the same force throughout the OPs. He finally was able to track down the Miranda about 2/3 of the way through the game, had control of the planet, and I wasn't able to chase any of his ships down.

Several recurring themes stood out:

* Circling the planet.
* Squishiness of the Miranda.
* If you want to win roll better.

The scenario was fine, although I heard several comments on how it got a little boring because it seemed to boil down to endlessly circling the planet. The mines weren't too bad to deal with, although they can certainly influence your action choice, your direction of movement, and how long you stay in a mined area. I suffered a little damage from them, but scanning seemed to keep that to a minimum.
I also didn't feel too terribly under-gunned, although it's still tough getting through a cloaked defense. Picard and Spock, along with the elite attack die, seem to minimize the low quantity of attack dice.

All in all it was a good time, although I'm thinking that the Defiant suggestion, with Terrell on the Miranda, may be a better build than what I tried. Any small ships that you can't keep protected in this game are really in for a fairly short stay on the board.

Kevin

You handled the mines well. The interesting result of the mines was how they affected your movement. The game started with you chasing me and finished with my Praetus and Valdore chasing you as I was able to lap you as we flew around the planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
underling wrote:

#1 loss

I was your first opponent and yes I do have quite a bit of X-Wing experience, but I don't rely on it in this game, mainly if I did, I would lose alot.

In my small world of gamers, my dice rolling is famous for being "on the spot" when I need it. So don't feel to bad about that..

You played a great game though, I just landed a few great shots in the beginning that hampered your fleet effectively. Hope to see you on the other side of the table again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
hockeyjedi wrote:
Also, did 4-ship builds seem to be the order of the day (with one dedicated to planetary action only)?

I didn't see this part of your question yesterday.
I didn't get around to all of the games, but it seems like the majority of the builds were three ships. One player playing Klingon actually brought five, with four of them being D7s.
In my case, as well as those I played, it was a mix of ships that affected the planet. The Miranda was my designated planet attacker in every game, but if the two Galaxies weren't occupied with opposing ships, they also threw their attacks that direction. In most cases the planet battle was decided in the first two or three turns anyway, so you could afford to have their attacks directed toward the planet.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Thought I'd see what you all thought about a variant of the list I used yesterday.
This is based on the feedback I received.

Enterprise D (28)
Picard (6)
Sulu (3)
Spock (5)
Total (42)

Galaxy class (26)
Sisko (4)
Total (30)

Defiant class (22)
Terrell (1)
Total (23)

Elite attack die (5)

Fleet total (100)

The thought is that by adding the Defiant class and eliminating the Miranda class the fleet will be a little less squishy. Assuming Terrell's ability is used, it should have a little more staying power. I found that I didn't use Scott's ability very much anyway.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john of valor
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Nice ideas,

I'm also a stubborn federation purist.

As a 4 ship I am thinking
Galaxy
Defiant class
Constitution
Miranda

Terell and sulu in defiant
Generic captians
Sideboard
Khan
Cheat death
Anti matter mines
Scotty

Or a possible 3 ship
Enterprise d
Scotty

Uss defiant
Terrell
Sulu
A mine

Reliant
Riker

Sideboard
Picard
Spock
Cheat death
Photon (3 point/4 dice version)

Havent played either yet but will soon.

Your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Romero
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmb
johnofvalor wrote:
Nice ideas,

Galaxy
Defiant class
Constitution
Miranda

Generic captians
Sideboard
Khan
Cheat death
Anti matter mines
Scotty

Or a possible 3 ship
Enterprise d
Scotty

Uss defiant
Terrell
Sulu
A mine

Reliant
Riker

Sideboard
Picard
Spock
Cheat death

Your thoughts?

The sideboard can be used only once per turn, and you will usually have better things to do in your action economy than spend actions setting things one ship at a time. Every time you change one thing you are not beaming down troops, acquiring target locks, etc. The sideboard sounds great in theory but in practice…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoggieMon wrote:
johnofvalor wrote:
Nice ideas,

Galaxy
Defiant class
Constitution
Miranda

Generic captians
Sideboard
Khan
Cheat death
Anti matter mines
Scotty

Or a possible 3 ship
Enterprise d
Scotty

Uss defiant
Terrell
Sulu
A mine

Reliant
Riker

Sideboard
Picard
Spock
Cheat death

Your thoughts?

The sideboard can be used only once per turn, and you will usually have better things to do in your action economy than spend actions setting things one ship at a time. Every time you change one thing you are not beaming down troops, acquiring target locks, etc. The sideboard sounds great in theory but in practice…

Agreed. As a points booster, it really does lack some oomph due to the action requirements. However, I think its greatest use is in making 'all comers' lists, so that you can switch from an anti-cloak build to an anti-shields build as you're approaching your opponent - but even then, you're limited on what fleets it would be best in - most of the time, you'd be better off cloaking than swapping in your sideboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john of valor
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Never thought about it that way.

Thanks for the insight.

My OP is next week, the reigning champ is a pure romulan build, the tourney allows faction crossing but I am a fed "purist" (I say purist because I count the reliant Khan crew as "close enough")

What would you guys suggest for a "pure" fed build? I have one of each fed ship/upgrades to work with....

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.