Subject: Replacing resource cards with cubes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Massey
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted some pictures in the gallery for submission.

Hoping the player shields and cubes make the game a little more enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you use the cubes for activities too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Massey
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeke
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is genius!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Massey
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picture is here for those too lazy to seek it in the gallery:

Presumably you draw the cubes from that bag (?) on the left? Sure beats shuffling and stacking those little cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Massey
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have the cubes in a smaller silver bag now.
Now I just need a more consistent game group to bring this out more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This is such a brilliant idea. Did you collect the cubes from other games, or did you order them just for this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
msg tools
I had this same idea last night after a game, and it's nice to see that someone else has already implemented it.

My only concern was the matter of player's hands. I see you've used player screens to prevent players from seeing other players 'hand' cubes, but they also prevent players from seeing the number of cubes other players have, which can effect decisions on whether of not to use Draconians (since it's less reliable if players only have one or two in their hand versus three or four). Has this been an issue when using this system, or have you found the effect negligible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried the game with the cubes last night (including with two players who were new to the game).

The new players adapted extremely quickly to the idea, reading the word "card" on buildings as "cubes". Holding cubes in the hand, or behind a screen, or in deep-ish pots (as we ended up doing) worked fine. The game took up less space than with the cards, and moving things around was slightly easier; it also seemed to play slightly quicker. We got around the difficulty of not being able to see how many cubes the opposing players held by asking them - or just getting on with playing Draconians "blind"; either approach worked.

Personally I didn't think that the game was vastly improved, though I would probably feel different had the game been designed with cubes instead of cards from the ground up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Anderlini
United States
Daly City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a fantastic idea. I am going to give this a try. Did you use 35 cubes of each color, or were you able to cut down on the total number in the bag?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stuck to 35, on the basis that there might be some "magic" in that particular number when it comes to getting a run of resources in the same colour. I also had a ready source of cheap wooden cubes (although I did need to dye 35 white cubes orange). You also need some player screens, unless everyone's happy keeping their fists full of cubes for the whole game.

It has several key advantages. Setup time is faster - no shuffling. It's neater - a bag to hand around, rather than a big pile of resource cards. it's more compact on the table - only small cubes floating around, not cards. It takes up less box space - especially if like me the cards were sleeved. And nobody blames me that the resource deck wasn't shuffled when they can't seem to pull a resource of one much-needed colour!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm glad this thread is seeing more activity, because it reminded me that I never pulled this together. Originally I had planned to borrow pieces from other games, but it turned out no one game had enough to cover 35 of each color. All of my game customizations so far have been two-dimensional (cards and mats) - is there a cheap source for wooden cubes, or a game that has all the colors needed in one package? Even on cheaper sites like thegamecrafter it looks like I'd be paying about $25 at the end of the day and for that much I might as well get a whole new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/item.php?id=1810&name=250+w...
£16 - or about $25. I dyed some of the white ones orange, and I still have a LOT of cubes left over (I've used some in other games, eg to add a sixth player colour in Pax Porfiriana).

Yes, I could just buy another game. But (i) £16 doesn't buy much game here in the UK - maybe the US is different; and (ii) I'd rather spend £16 pimping out/modifying a game that I enjoy than I would spending the same amount of money on a game that I might not enjoy (or which would probably end up sitting on the shelf next to all my other unplayed games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks! Games are pretty cheap here in the US. $20 is usually my maximum and I'll buy any garbage for $10 or less. Your point about unplayed games is well taken... But for me some of the fun of a new game (even one that never gets played) is figuring it out for myself. Yay, blatant consumerism!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.