Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fatih Inan
Germany
Langen
Hessen
flag msg tools
mb
The way I understand the card is that I can just win the game before the city watch does his win condition check, but I still have to have enough gold to win, which seems kind of extremely underpowered compared to the treasures of the other two...
So could you please correct me if I'm wrong?
Btw: is my copy the only one that has been kinda "poorly" cut as in the cards are not centered? It's not really bad since all the cards are like that, but still... :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Treasure map is a 4 value treasure that can only be used for the merchant victory condition. Think of it as a diamond that cannot be used except for the win condition. The merchant must still wait for the city watch to pass before winning, so it doesn't let you take priority from city watch.

Its actually very powerful because a 4 value jump towards winning witbout using the treasure pile catches most players off guard. The thief also doesn't like stealing it because they don't get to keep it. There is one notable combo with treasure map. That is trash to treasure. Those two cards combined give you five treasure cards on one turn. Combined with the lone diamond card, it is a two + two combo with a chance of repeat with beurocrat and treasure pile reshuffle.

Finally, a starting hand with treasure map can end games very quickly. Once it revealed to players (IF it is revealed), the Thief and City Watch are now faced with a turn clock on how they can possibly hold back the Merchant in the next few turns. It was powered down significantly in testing as it proved to be the strongest treasure and to many original playtesters still is.

Sorry about the card cuts. I don't know how that happened, but I'll make sure to let VPG know. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fatih Inan
Germany
Langen
Hessen
flag msg tools
mb
Oh lol I didn't realize that it counts as treasure, was thinking about how that card could be useful at all xD
Thank you for replying so fast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Roy
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Still not quite sure about the mechanism for using this card. It states, "This treasure card can only be used to purchase the Untold Riches card". However, it looks like this card doesn't "cost" anything to use... nor is it played as an action. If it is in a hand during the end phase... and its 4 points would give the merchant the victory... it just does... Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Roy
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Just found the FAQ... and the answer to my question...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.