Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious about the wording on the "New Icons" card that came along with Chemical Chaos expansion cards, specifically the text for Poison which reads:

"Instead of scoring immediately add this compound to any scientist's stack of completed compounds..."

My question is, why is there any need for players to retain a stack of the compounds they completed? Wouldn't it simply have made more sense to have stated that the chosen player loses 3 AP and then moved that player's token back 3 AP back on the victory track?

I mean the victory track is how scoring is being recorded after all and I can't see a reason for players to re-count their atomic points from a stack of scored compound cards after the game ends.

Or is there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Players keep their completed compounds as they score them, as stated in the rules. I believe it serves as a handy way to verify score and experiment levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Moller
United States
Wyoming
DE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My memory is that it's for score verification purposes. Yes.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a use/need for those cards to be retained that way in the future. ...but that's just wild speculation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haccpmonkey wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a use/need for those cards to be retained that way in the future. ...but that's just wild speculation.

The obvious suggestion here would be to use the compound cards for secret scoring. For example, secret objective cards handed out at the start of the game that indicate bonus AP the player could earn, like say +1 AP for every 3 compounds that raises the Discovery experiment or +3 AP for every "Volatile" or "Grant" completed compound.

In addition I always felt there should be an additional scoring method known to everyone, for example +1 AP for every 4-of-a-kind compound set you have completed. That might have players checking their completed compounds against the research field so they can gain these bonus AP.

Of course the compound stack does raise a question with Lab Partners. Namely, who gets to hold onto the card when it's completed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leftmost claim token, since that was the first scientist to place their claim?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rwaszczuk wrote:
haccpmonkey wrote:

The obvious suggestion here would be to use the compound cards for secret scoring. For example, secret objective cards handed out at the start of the game that indicate bonus AP the player could earn, like say +1 AP for every 3 compounds that raises the Discovery experiment or +3 AP for every "Volatile" or "Grant" completed compound.

In addition I always felt there should be an additional scoring method known to everyone, for example +1 AP for every 4-of-a-kind compound set you have completed. That might have players checking their completed compounds against the research field so they can gain these bonus AP.

Of course the compound stack does raise a question with Lab Partners. Namely, who gets to hold onto the card when it's completed?

*whistles innocently into the conversation*

I CAN confirm, that the scientist who claimed the left spot on the Lab Partners Compound is the who should retain it.

As pointed out, it's currently not important to hold on to the compounds... Yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
getlouder wrote:

As pointed out, it's currently not important to hold on to the compounds... Yet.

We are nothing but big teases at DHMG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I were talking about new mechanics, for an expansion. One idea that sounded interesting went back to an older idea.

The older idea involved the elements bag. Unlike Settlers of Catan, where players would be forced to trade for resources whose lands/hex their settlements did not border, in Compounded every player had access to the same resource pool, which was only limited by quantity and chance. It was suggested that maybe 2 bags with common and exclusive elements could be introduced, and the Lead Scientist would decide which bag was used during the Discovery phase. In this way they could deny other players access to the elements that were exclusive to the other bag.

The newer idea was, what if on completing certain compounds you were rewarded with an element you couldn't find in the element bag. And then this element could be used to complete advanced/complex compounds in a new row of compounds (i.e. 4 advanced compounds). In this way a player could score more AP, but might need to trade if they had only one, of say two, such elements. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.