Popular Tags: [View All]
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still awaiting to receive this Kickstarter game, but from watching the walkthrough videos looks very interesting. Currently I'm wondering if the pirates are anything to be concerned about. It appears the range in value is from zero to maybe 4 or 5 negative points.

With such a small penalty, players may be better off just doing other actions than building up cannons to defend against the pirates (since other actions can ultimately yield values of at least 4 or 5 points). So why not just do these other actions (that lead to points) and accept the penalty?

I suppose if the negative points are for each ship, but not sure if that's the case. There are improvement tiles that cause opponents to lose even more points (by not defeating the pirates) which would likely make more sense to invest in cannons.

But right now I'm guessing if nobody takes these harmful tiles there is not a strong need to build up cannons for defense. I'm sure I'm missing something, and Feld surely wouldn't have an unbalanced rule/penalty if it didn't have an impact.

I was also surprised to see the small scoring track! It seemed like players could score well over 100 points with the various multipliers for completing islands and building up trade goods & field plantations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh...

Answered my own question. The pirates are cumulative! So the first year you fight ONE pirate (of X value). The next year you fight TWO pirates (totaling X value).

So never mind :-)

I wonder what the average winning score is for this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Essner
France
Nissa
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On my only game, the score was :

133 / 123 / 118 / 107
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demainlesdauphins wrote:
On my only game, the score was :

133 / 123 / 118 / 107

you here on BGG cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
From a few 2/3 player games FYI.

214/208
191/151/123
162/147

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For a two-player game: 223/235

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p.l.ayed my first game today after receiving my KScopY yesterday. The point difference between four players was only 14 points. it would have been smaller, but the Winning player [doug the devious] used in advance on the progress track to pick up the token that made all other players fight again two extra cannonS in the last round,and the two other black cube in the tower never fEll.

152 points was the high score. I a 4p game. All first timers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scores definitely depend on how charitable your cube tower is. The first time I played it kept around 7 cubes in and we scored in the 180s. This time, it kept around 15 and the pirates were 4-3-2-0-1, and scores were in the 130s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miklos kuti
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you decide to ignore the pirates you can lose a lot of points over five rounds since their numbers add up and keep growing.
in my first game an opponent had a knowledge tile from the third round that added 2 to the pirate numbers for everyone else. I ignored the pirates and lost 1 point in the second round, 6 in the third, 8 in the fourth and 12 in the fifth, that is 27 points. my final score was around 130, so it is around 20% of all points, not negligible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lund
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even when you calculate the number of pirates correctly, there are still opportunities to ignore the pirates. For example, the nicest pirate mix is 0,0,1,2,3 facing 10 total pirates over the course of the game. The meanest is 4,3,2,1,0 facing 40. Those are quite different challenges. Depending on pirate mix, and the frugality of the cube tower, there could be rounds (particularly the first) where it's totally worth ignoring the pirates and just taking gold for instance. From my observations, a 3 gold payment is fairly common, and if that comes up early on, why not put up with a little pillaging later to take 3 gold now?

Here are some puzzles to think over:

1 In the black phase of round 1, 4 black cubes and three white come out. The pirate total is 3. Everyone is on the start space of the special action track. Do you a) take 3 gold, b) load 4 cannons, or c) move ahead on the SAT?

2 Same as above, except you have 1 gold saved up, and the only cubes spit out are 6 black and 1 white. Do you a) take 3 gold, b) load 6 cannons, or c) spend 1 gold and load 7 cannons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Nixon
United States
McLeansville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EyeInSky wrote:
I wonder what the average winning score is for this game?

The only game I've played the scores were high. I came second with a score of 185. I don't know the exact other scores but I know the winner broke 200. The fourth player was in the 130s so there was a very large variance, but it was the first game for all of us but the winner (it was his copy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karlican Gamer
msg tools
Each canon is a victory point if you actually use it to fend off a pirate. Otherwise it's a waste. On any given turn, try to decide if you can get more than one victory point per action; if not, spend it on canons.

I played Amerigo last night, and--assuming we have the rules right--we reduced a canon for each pirate attack fended off. So if there were 4 pirates attacking, and you had 5 canons, you'd subtract 4 canons and end up with 1. If there were 4 pirates attacking and you had 0 cannons, you would lose 4 victory points.

I don't remember if you get to turn excess canons past 12 into gold. If you do, then those are victory points whether you use them or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.