19 Posts

Crokinole» Forums » General

Subject: My First board cheap or go Hilinksi? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noodles
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, I'm going to grab a crokinole board and was wondering if I should go with a cheapy board or go with Hilinski? I can afford the Hilinksi, just wanted to see if the difference was worth it or not. I've only played on the crokinole/carrom ones. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a good board....you won't regret it. I'd get a Muzzies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Go Hilinski.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you play crokinole on a good board like a Hilinski you never want to go back to a cheap one. I have a hilinski board for 9 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played on several nice boards and on a Mayday board. I've also tried to play on the back of an American Carrom board (like you I'm guessing). The difference between the American Carrom with the plastic rings and any others is like night and day.

The Mayday board had some shipping/packing issues, but once together it plays rather well and looks nice. I know that others have not had the same experience. If you are looking for something to get your feet wet or you don't want to be concerned about damage then something like this might fit your needs.

The nicer boards have heirloom quality craftsmanship and I would definitely recommend them if you are looking for years of enjoyment, want to display them, and hand them down to other generations of gamers.

Like a lot of things you have to decide whether you're okay with an economical but functional choice or a more indulgent luxurious choice.

Of course if you are just looking for justification to buy a nice board then coming to the crokinole forums is the right place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noodles
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long does it usually take to get a hilinski after order is placed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really sure how long it might take. I think I bought mine when they usually always had some for sale. Since their boards seem more popular now it usually seems like they sell them as fast as they can make them. Their website today says they currently do not have any for sale and to check back at the end of November. Probably best to e-mail them and they could give you an ideal of how long it could take. They also have directions on their website of how they make their boards in case you want to tackle the job yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played crokinole it was on one of the hilinski boards. My friend then went out and bought a cheap one which was okay. But it is better playing on a nice board. We each ended up buying a board from the Hilinski brothers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Or go Willard. http://www.mrcrokinole.com These are the boards most often used at the World Crokinole Championships.

Either way, buy a good one ... you won't regret it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Bergeron
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that paying cheap cost more on the long run... always go for quality.

It will last for years and the gameplay feeling will be top notch for each pitch. Darkest night and shiny day difference!

If you get cheap and wanting quality later it will cost more... and if, for some reasons, you don't want it anymore(thats impossible anyway), your quality board will selling itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noodles
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! I was leaning that way. Just wanted to hear your opinions. Hilinski it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned five boards - A Mr. Crokinole Executive, a Mayday (first Generation), an Allinent (Ebay Seller), a Toad Hall (my first board, a real cheapy) and a Puzzler.

My Executive hangs on my wall as a piece of art. The Mayday has been given to my church. The Allinent goes camping with me. The Toad Hall board was sold off to a friend. And the board I play on, day in and day out, is The Puzzler. By far my favorite board, and the board I recommend to everyone that is looking to buy their first board. I don't know if you've placed your order yet, but I really do recommend you at least take a look at Joel's boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hentzau wrote:
And the board I play on, day in and day out, is The Puzzler. By far my favorite board, and the board I recommend to everyone that is looking to buy their first board.

This. And don't forget to buy the disc box too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for a cheap extra board or discount board you may want to hold off until Black Friday, possibly something like THIS will be offered again.

Custom Carrying Case
Mayday Custom Print Board (Factory Second)
4 colors of discs
Scoring Box
Crokinole Clock Accessory

All for less than the price of the carrying case and clock together normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Muzzies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
hentzau wrote:
And the board I play on, day in and day out, is The Puzzler. By far my favorite board, and the board I recommend to everyone that is looking to buy their first board. I don't know if you've placed your order yet, but I really do recommend you at least take a look at Joel's boards.

Do you have a wood surface or a solid acrylic surface?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone familiar with Lee Valley boards?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/gifts/page.aspx?p=45287&cat=4,10...

I saw a post (from a few years ago) that they were decent boards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Martin
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I've got nothing up my sleeves
mbmbmbmbmb
maydaygames wrote:
If you are looking for a cheap extra board or discount board you may want to hold off until Black Friday, possibly something like THIS will be offered again.

Custom Carrying Case
Mayday Custom Print Board (Factory Second)
4 colors of discs
Scoring Box
Crokinole Clock Accessory

All for less than the price of the carrying case and clock together normally.

Since this thread got resurrected, I'll make use of it to say that the Mayday cherry/sapele boards in their "flawed but free" $100 accessory bundles look WAY better than any of those $75 print boards. The "BLACKMAYDAY" 20% coupon STILL WORKS which makes it $106 shipped, which is amazing. That's the board, plus the nice carrying case, plus two extra sets of disks, plus the clock. Okay, that last one isn't anything to get excited about BUT STILL.

I ended up with a sapele board with a few surface blemishes, but it plays great. I then used the Hilinski instructions for rubbing out the board, starting with 600 grit sandpaper, and it really "rubbed out" well, leaving it with a glassy-smooth surface, and most of the surface imperfections removed.

EDIT: It was pointed out to me recently that shipping rates might make this deal better for some than others. It was only $26 shipping for me in North Texas, which might be unusually low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. That looks really nice!!!

Shipping is $44 to me ... But the code does still work.

That looks like a great deal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.