Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sjoerd Sindram
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love picking up boardgames, but have a severe lack of good ones. 2 players would be with my SO, and 4 would be with 3 pals. Any solid recommendations? (preferably not TOO hard to pick up)
Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 player:

Try the new deck building game Trains. It's easy to learn, plays quick and fun, yet offers variety (since different stacks of cards are available every game), and has a decent amount of strategic depth.

Two games that play very well with 2 and are great for a significant
other:

Takenoko

and

Stone Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Dann
Germany
Mannheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia could be a choice for you. It plays well with two, three and with four players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjoerd Sindram
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@David B
Trains seems like a fun game, I'll look into it! Takenoko and stone age seem to be preferably played by more than 2 players though? Or would you still full heartedly recommend them?

@Thorsten Dann
Suburbia looks fun, but somewhat hard to find for a good price here in NLsoblue

Also for 2 player games, how do you guys think about '2 de Mayo' or 'Battle Line'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Licul
Austria
Krems an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
My wife and I really enjoy playing:

Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island and Legends of Andor

We also like very much to play The Pillars of the Earth and World without End even as two players; though it is much more relaxed (and some would say more enjoyable for couples) than when those are played with four players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both Stone Age and Takenoko many times with 2 and I think they are both great with 2. If you want a neat game that was designed ONLY for 2, take a look at Targi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2 (I also play with my SO):

The Castles of Burgundy
Balloon Cup
Morels

For 4 (and also recommended with 2):

Kingdom Builder
Stone Age
Lords of Waterdeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great recommendations so far! Stone Age and Trains are both favorites with two (my wife and I.) Takenoko is also a good choice as well.

I recently picked up Targi and I like it but it has not hit the table at home yet.

Other favorites for my wife and I are Carcassonne the City (highly recommended!) and Ticket to Ride India.

If you are looking for a lighter game that plays well with two we enjoy Sushi Go using the 7 Wonders two player variant..how is that for a confusing description? PM me if you are interested and have questions.

A more expensive option (I built my own) is Crokinole. That is a game that I could literally play for hours and never get bored.

Happy Gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
For 2 player exclusively: I second the nomination of Morels and recommend The Duke

For 2-4 players I'm gonna do what I do whenever given half an excuse and recommend Puzzle Strike - it's a deckbuilder developed for 2 player competitive tournament play, and works as a great head to head game. It also scales up to 4 with a less-intense, more social free-for-all variant. I'll also give a shout out to good old-fashioned Scrabble here, as a game which works as both a serious head to head game and a multiplayer social game for up to 4.

Another odd little game I can recommend for 2-4 (but better with more than 2) is Starbase Jeff, a great game of reading opponents and building a faulty space station for profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark D. Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taluva

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oceluna (jueguetistorias)
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, have you ever played Revolver 2??? It´s a good option for two I like too Blood Bowl: the team manager. Both of them are card games. Troyes (Eurogame) is a good one that works well for two players.

For 4 players... Chaos in the old world as Ameritrash, or as Eurogame, for example, Speicherstadt (a bidding game with quite interaction). If you want push your luck in the arena, try Spartacus

How difficult is to choose... I like near all boardgames!!! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjoerd Sindram
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, these are all some great recommendations, I'll look into buying a couple soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lefebvre
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For a two player game, you can't go wrong with Jaipur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2:
Seasons (accommodates up to 4, but best with 2)
The Duke
ZERTZ

For 4:
Dominion
7 Wonders
Power Grid
Cosmic Encounter
mahjong (great for gambling)

Pandemic can accommodate both groups, and would definitely recommend On The Brink (expansion). I find Citadels fun with anywhere from 2 to 8 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shintora wrote:
For a two player game, you can't go wrong with Jaipur

Don't know how I forgot this one...Totally agree. I bought three copies for me and other couples and it has been a huge hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2-5 Core Worlds (and the excellent expansion Galactic Orders).

The 2-player game presents more varied games because you see less cards during the game, the 5-player game presents more varied games because the other players have their own strategies to thwart you.

A 3-player game can be played in 90mins (around 120min with the expansion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shi Chan
Philippines
Cebu
Cebu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy playing Agricola with my sister. And it's also fun with 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo D'Elia
Brazil
Rio De Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have any good recommendations for 2p as I don't usually play these, except for LCG (AGoT and Netrunner).

For 4p I highly recommend City of Remnants. The game has a mash of mechanics that may seem complex at first but it's actually very simple and integrates together quite nicely. I can't believe how this game isn't more popular.
If you're into some direct conflict but also enjoy building economical engines this is an excellent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.