Popular Tags: mold [+] [View All]
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my ebay copy of B-17 and it is basically unused, but you can tell it had some mildew problems at one point. The white counters have faint green spots on them, as does the inside of the box.

I plan to store the box in a zip bag while on the shelf, the board(s) in a frame, the cards sleeved and the counters in a GMT container. So, is there anything I should be worried about, mold wise? I don't mind the spots, personally, and it doesn't smell , and it shouldn't spread since it wont be touching my other games and my house is climate controlled. Just wanted to see what other vintage gamers have to say about this, since this is my first vintage game. Thanks for you help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a boy, we lived on a boat. My "room" consisted of a berth, two drawers and two cabinets, plus the storage space under my berth. All of these were next to the hull itself. Mildew was a huge problem. I lost my box for a non-wargame (Scotland Yard) to it. Plastic bags fanatically sealed will stave it off but know of nothing to really ever get rid of it once it hits. I lost more than one item to it but B"H no actual games, just a box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
I think Peter (Kenosha_Kid) is the expert on this. Hasn't he been known to lightly bake his games? (I'm serious.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Sounds half-baked to me.

I've washed spots off with something - vinegar I think.

But, if it's a bad molding, the print will be damaged anyhow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't expect to get rid of the damage done (it isn't super noticable), and I know it will always be dormant. I think the damage done to it was some time ago. But with the precautions I've taken, I don't have anything else to worry about, right? I mean I assume the spots won't multiple or affect my other games even if I play them on the same surface (or use the same tweezers), or that the card board will just fall apart...or will it? These probably seem like really silly questions, I've just never dealt with any paper products older than me! I just don't know if there is a problem playing it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
mysteryreadersinc.blogspot.com/2012/09/how-to-remove-mold-and-mildew-from-books.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
This is what happened when I left a copy of "Tito" unattended over just a weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Kluvon wrote:
This is what happened when I left a copy of "Tito" unattended over just a weekend.

Funny. When I don't pay enough attention in Tito, usually the swarms
are red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kenosha_kid wrote:
Kluvon wrote:
I think Peter (Kenosha_Kid) is the expert on this. Hasn't he been known to lightly bake his games? (I'm serious.)

Yup. I acquired a copy of 'Croix de Guerre' about a year ago that had mildew on some of the counters. Baking the counters at 275 degrees for an hour did the trick. Got the tip from a library website on preserving old books for archival purposes.

Funny side note: my iPad autocorrected 'Croix de Guerre' to 'Croissants de Guerre', which is strangely appropriate.

The inevitable after effect of Croissants de Guerre:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cowen
United States
Union Springs
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
setting it out in the sunlight for awhile might help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the mold is dormant, you should never have issues as long as the humidity is low enough. I don't know what low enough is. Keep in mind there are always mold spores floating around pretty much everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
If the mold is dormant, you should never have issues as long as the humidity is low enough. I don't know what low enough is. Keep in mind there are always mold spores floating around pretty much everywhere.

Thanks. I look forward to playing this one very soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing you can do is to spray the counters with a clear-coat paint. That would at least mostly encapsulate the mold/mildew if you're really concerned about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
fractaloon wrote:

Which suggests that maybe putting some desiccant in the bag with the game might help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.