Subject: Beware of the hunters... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tom tom
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.

I'd like to tell you guys about my 2 last games because during those games I saw my opponent choose a strategy I never thought about, and boy was it efficient...

Just fyi, my group plays with Glory Points limited to 3 max out of stashing and 3 max out of trading.
The idea was to find other ways to get GP, such as rumors and missions. Or more...

First game:

I was playing Alexandre Villon and my opponent was Cinco de Irapuato.
I decided to begin as a pirate even if I think it's more efficient to begin with trading in a flute to get some GP and gold before upgrading to a frigate and go for piracy. Also a fregate is obviously better at raiding than a sloop.
Anyway I wanted to try something different.

My friend was playing Cinco so he chose a flute. He did some good trading, bought much ship modifications and then went to St John to get a frigate and transfer all modifications from his flute to the frigate.
This made for an impressive vessel.
Afterwards he kept trading and moved toward Cartagena while I was trying to score Glory Points out of piracy (I didn't do so bad actually) and out of rumors and missions (this was a tad more frustrating).

In Cartagena Cinco stashed gold then he attacked a merchant. No need for a roll there. I thought "Here we go, Cinco's going for piracy". But no. I was wrong.
He was actually going for the bounty so he just had to enter areas with NPC frigates to be scouted, fight them and grab eventually 3 glory points out of victories against NPC.
Some battles were really epic but with his strong frigate and some nice glory card, Cinco won them all, and it was well deserved.

In the end my friend reached victory first and I don't know whether I can say I did well: I had 5-6 GP and 20 gold stashed... He had 7 GP + 3 out of stashing but he had 50 or 60 gold in his chest.

Second game:

Last night I played against my girlfriend. Things went even worse.
I was playing Nicolas Jaurès and chose to begin with a flute.
She was playing Machiel van Riebleeck, and picked a flute too.

She quickly scored Glory Points and made a lot of money out of trading.
She tried to grab rumors but Machiel's poor influence just let her roll one die each time so she never actually got to score GP out of rumors.
Missions weren't really favoring a captains with a low influence but she made it later on for a very interesting mission suiting her captain's style...

Before that she made it for St John, bought a Galleon, and transferred her modifications.
I had a feeling of dejà-vu, but it was too late.
She sailed and went for the pirate hunter mission (I don't know what it's called in english).

She moved then toward the area were the pirate frigate was and sunk her so fast I was absolutely amazed.
I mean... 2 Glory Points with so little loss... I knew I was doomed.

Afterwards my girlfriend went for the pirate sloop, scouted her herself and boarded her as the sloop captain, Olivier La Bouche, tried to flee. I had hoped the bonus on +1 in seamanship due to the boats difference in maneuverability would help but her single success allowed her to board the sloop and butcher the pirates.

She traded a tad more afterwards on her way to St Marteen in order to stash enough gold to claim victory.
I was seeing it coming but it was way too late for me. I was still around 5 points on the Glory track and I hadn't stashed much. I couldn't even reach her in a desperate attempt to attack this mighty captain in his powerful galleon with my average frigate.

This time there was no wondering whether I did well or not.
I was just humiliated, adding to this I was playing a captain I had praised in a post on BGG the day before (or so).

All in all...

Those games were great, but I realize I do have to stop playing as if I am having a nice friendly stroll in the Carribeans during the 18th century.

There are players out for blood out there, and they don't give quarters nor show mercy.

Now, who said M&M wasn't competitive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Juul Jacobsen
Denmark
København S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting observations. I guess we will both have to try for a tactic towards NPC ships the next time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup but 2 things came to my mind:

- The NPC ships on the boards look like threats but they can also be preys, provided you have the right ship and the right captain yourself.

I mean with 3 in Seamanship and 3 in Leadership, both Machiel and Cinco are captains built for fighting.
And their boats were quite formidable in these games, especially Machiel's galleon.

- But this strategy is risky too if you lose the fight because you can lose everything there, captain and boat.

For instance, as I said, Cinco's fights were epic, and his 2nd or 3rd one did raise the tension around the table because he got scouted right after a battle (the next event card moved a nearby frigate).
Cinco had a damaged ship he hadn't had the possibility to repair yet, so he was the underdog in this fight.
But his skills, a couple of glory cards and a critical re-roll during a seamanship contest did the trick.

So I'd say if hunting NPCs can be a way to win glory points, you'd better know what your doing because some captains thinking they're arrrh might end up zombie on the Flying Dutchman lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.