Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Am I understanding the Kickstarter information correctly? The Kickstarter version is a premium edition only available thru the campaign and there will be a more basic version when it hits retail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
What daring! What outrageousness! What insolence! What arrogance!... I salute you.
badge
Conan! What is best in life? Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
Helljin wrote:
Am I understanding the Kickstarter information correctly? The Kickstarter version is a premium edition only available thru the campaign and there will be a more basic version when it hits retail?

Yeah, basic version meaning plastic vs the resin figures that will come from the KS. There is no example of the regression of quality between the two and I am not an experienced miniatures gamer to know what the difference is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helljin wrote:

That's my understanding.
As far as I can tell, the retail version will be cheaper, but will have single part plastic models instead of multi part resin models. I think I saw £60 quoted as the retail price but I can't find that now so could be wrong.

To quote one of their comments;
Prodos Games wrote:
Thomas: Let me pull this from the main page to illustrate the offer: If successful this KS project will allows Prodos Games Ltd to produce the AvP The Hunt Begins Board Game in a bespoked and limited (to KS) fashion specifically for the model connoisseur and collector alike by May 2014. So in effect there will be no retail price for this version. We are not offering a 'bulk sale' on the KS instead a highest quality and expensive to produce product for the collector, connoisseur and AVP fan. If you'd rather have a retail version with 1 or 2 part plastic models (like the KSs that offer bulk discounts), and buyable at ToysRUs, then that will be doable late 2014. Hope that helps clarify?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless they changed something, the only thing resin about the kickstarter is the add-on resin terrain set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
tuathail wrote:

That's my understanding.
As far as I can tell, the retail version will be cheaper, but will have single part plastic models instead of multi part resin models.

Awesome, now I know to wait for the retail version, I have no interest in building the models myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of these models look too complex to be single-part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:
Unless they changed something, the only thing resin about the kickstarter is the add-on resin terrain set.

You are mistaken. The majority of the models are being made in polyurethane.

Polyurethane is one of many plastics that is referred to as 'resin' in the miniature industry. I believe they're using the more specific name polyurethane so people know exactly what they're getting as different resins are more annoying to work with or more prone to miscasting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't aware. That definitely helps explain the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking forward to the retail version of this. No way I would ever buy this in pounds.

I wonder why this wasn't a US KS project. Perhaps there's a bigger demand for miniatures in the UK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also surprised it's UK based - but even more surprised it follows the Mars Attacks: The Miniatures Game KS, also UK based! We must be doing something right in mini production...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the fact of it not being in the US is about the IP.

One tung in don't understand is why they are going to change the piece Count come rretail.
I understand going with a lower cost plastic for retail.
But what throw the molds out for the figures made from KS?

Why not keep using the molds and making a premium resin version since the molds will already be funded by the KS?

Which leads me to a concern I have.
If I buy in now and get the awesome detail minis, and then by more later on come retail to expand into the war game, is there going to be a massive difference in detail.
Like eye sore difference.
I now there will be some, but if the difference is too great it'll keep me from buying anything come retail, unless they keep selling the multi part high detail figures....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
ropya wrote:
I think the fact of it not being in the US is about the IP.

One tung in don't understand is why they are going to change the piece Count come rretail.
I understand going with a lower cost plastic for retail.
But what throw the molds out for the figures made from KS?

Why not keep using the molds and making a premium resin version since the molds will already be funded by the KS?

Which leads me to a concern I have.
If I buy in now and get the awesome detail minis, and then by more later on come retail to expand into the war game, is there going to be a massive difference in detail.
Like eye sore difference.
I now there will be some, but if the difference is too great it'll keep me from buying anything come retail, unless they keep selling the multi part high detail figures....

I was having some of the same thoughts. I was thinking they may be able to reuse the molds with a lower grade plastic for the retail version. Or continue to sell the higher grade mini's as an after market add on so players can upgrade their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The molds will not be useable for the two different materials. In fact, I bet they go through several molds just delivering the KS figs. They materials used for the hand cast resin molds coupled with the casting techniques generally mean you don't get a ton of castings from each mold (one reason resin figures are more expensive than their metal counterparts).

I suspect they will continue to sell resin versions of anything which is not KS exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
The molds will not be useable for the two different materials. In fact, I bet they go through several molds just delivering the KS figs. They materials used for the hand cast resin molds coupled with the casting techniques generally mean you don't get a ton of castings from each mold (one reason resin figures are more expensive than their metal counterparts).

I suspect they will continue to sell resin versions of anything which is not KS exclusive.

Thats true.
I'd forgotten that.
But don't they have a master mold of which to make the molds from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like the option to be able to get the cheaper plastic retail box as part of this Kickstarter with the extra resin KS bonus figures added to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean King
United States
Stevenson
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Northern Gamer Archeology
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we know if they are still producing two different versions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thenorthman wrote:
Do we know if they are still producing two different versions?

apparently,they are now going to produce a "lighter" as they call it version which includes lower grade packing [thinner box?].and less tiles and taking out the measuring things for the tabletop gaming side of it to cut down on costs.as the ones they have already made are costing a lot more than originally planned for.and they can shift them quicker for distribution.
I don't know what else they are cutting down on in the box.so,i guess you could call this a different version from the ones some of us have been lucky enough to get so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the 'new' retail versions seem to be shipping. Thinner card for the tiles/counters, less tiles, smaller box, still has the KS Exclusive resin figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.