M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious who else has gone through Skinsaw with Seoni solo yet, and how you handled the Scarecrow Golem. I don't have a weapon on Seoni, and not being able to cast attack spells leaves you with ... d4. Even with a blessing that's basically a hand wipe. If you get stuck encountering the Golem in the Shadow Clock location, I'm not sure what to do.

I know what I did... I *died*. 5 cards in deck and the ability to recharge spells you'd think you'd be safe from death, but I couldn't recharge spells if I couldn't cast them...

Seoni #2 (yes, I replayed all 13 scenarios) actually killed it - Sage's Journal, Blessing of Lamashtu + Poog gave 4d4 + 3, which came out right on 12.

But he's a brutal card for Seoni, and not much better for Ezren.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have not tried my solo seoni against the golem, but hand her take it on in 2 character game, kyra was lucky to have a Bo Gorum and aid while seoni had a BoG. Squeaked by with a 13 on the roll. Very impressed you did it solo. I am now dreading how my solo seoni will handle this, need to get some evade spells before, and hopefully get through the scenario without having to encounter it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is you're (almost) stuck having to clear the Shadow Clock first, so if you're unlucky enough to have the Golem there its very hard to evade. And having to banish an ally to close that location is also very annoying, since there are no new allies available in that scenario playing solo, so you might have to banish an ally that's actually good.

Seoni also really hates the Guard Tower in the earlier scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think I would definitely choose weapon as my first card trait, if I soloed Seoni, just in case. You could then attack with a crossbow and a blessing for 3d8, which averages out to 13.5 -- the roll is even pretty save if you managed to pick up a blessing of Erastil or Lamashtu (for 4d8 total).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the only card in the entire game (so far) though where a weapon beats her built in attack ability. And even if I'd known of its existence when I chose an additional card slot for her, I'd still pick an extra spell again.

Plus at the Shadow Clock you can't even control what will be in your hand when you encounter the Golem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
medwards wrote:
This is the only card in the entire game (so far) though where a weapon beats her built in attack ability. And even if I'd known of its existence when I chose an additional card slot for her, I'd still pick an extra spell again.

Plus at the Shadow Clock you can't even control what will be in your hand when you encounter the Golem.

I'm betting there will be more. DnD has a range of monsters, who are at least partially immune to magic.

A weapon should be quite useful in other situations as well, for example in later the adventures I'm guessing it is probable that the monsters you encounter are either weak (so you can kill them with a weapon) or strong (so you definitely need one of your spells).

And you do know what cards you are going to get, because by the second or third time you explore the Shadow Clock, you should have already recharged your whole deck and know when the weapon will come up again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But not when the Scarecrow Golem will come up. Or are you going to only explore every 3rd turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
medwards wrote:
But not when the Scarecrow Golem will come up. Or are you going to only explore every 3rd turn?

You only discard your hand when starting your turn there, so you can always move there with weapon in hand. Do you have the spell Detect Magic? If so you could possibly even know when the Golem is coming up.

I mean I'm just offering suggestions here -- which I thought you were interested in. I don't see the point in arguing this over and over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, sorry, and I appreciate the suggestion (its just too late for me since I had already used my card feat to add a spell). And I am mulling over whether to take one the next time I have the opportunity, because you are probably right about its usefulness in defeating easy encounters without burning a card, and it would certainly make a location like the Guard Tower much less annoying. So, thank you.

The problem with the Shadow Clock though is that you lose a blessing from the timer if you go to other locations (per scenario instructions), so if you bounce around locations it makes the timer much harder.

And the biggest thing I've since realized is that Seoni #1 was a complete idiot, because she could have retreated to the Temple and not died.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
medwards wrote:
Just curious who else has gone through Skinsaw with Seoni solo yet, and how you handled the Scarecrow Golem. I don't have a weapon on Seoni, and not being able to cast attack spells leaves you with ... d4. Even with a blessing that's basically a hand wipe. If you get stuck encountering the Golem in the Shadow Clock location, I'm not sure what to do.

I know what I did... I *died*. 5 cards in deck and the ability to recharge spells you'd think you'd be safe from death, but I couldn't recharge spells if I couldn't cast them...

Seoni #2 (yes, I replayed all 13 scenarios) actually killed it - Sage's Journal, Blessing of Lamashtu + Poog gave 4d4 + 3, which came out right on 12.

But he's a brutal card for Seoni, and not much better for Ezren.

Would Wand of Force Missiles (finally) work? Scarecrow Golem looks like it only prevents attack spells from being used, and the Wand is an item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it wasn't challenging, it wouldn't be any fun. Lots of ways to solve that puzzle and not all roads lead to a toe-to-toe battle with the Golem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zeroth hour wrote:

Would Wand of Force Missiles (finally) work? Scarecrow Golem looks like it only prevents attack spells from being used, and the Wand is an item.

It would be usable, yes. You'd need a blessing or some other help to get it up to better than even chances of success though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
If it wasn't challenging, it wouldn't be any fun. Lots of ways to solve that puzzle and not all roads lead to a toe-to-toe battle with the Golem.

Yes, my solo run with Ezren managed to win the scenario without defeating the Golem, and I always tried going elsewhere to chase the villain back to the location with the Golem so it could be avoided. Seoni was never lucky enough to avoid it though, in either attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Whitaker
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-Tees
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have added a Weapon to my Seoni. Fortuitously I had picked up a heavy crossbow in the last adventure and it had come in quite handy, so it seemed to be a message from the dice gods to do so rather than chuck it away and add another spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Zook

Dayton
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also going to say Wand of Force Missles. Acolyte can boost it as well I believe, and both are recharged so it can be possible (especially with multiple of either).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.