Popular Tags: [View All]
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 3-year-old daughter has loved to paint for over a year now. She’s gotten jealous that her mom and dad paint minis with their “special paints” and “special brushes”.

Does anyone have any mini recommendations for her to paint? Plusses would be not too complicated, not too tiny, and cheap. We also want to avoid negative or sexist depictions of women.

Ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyne Tarse
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones

Check out the 'Bones' line - relatively cheap plastic (but still high quality) minis.

Gave my brother-in-law a box for his birthday, he's been painting with his kids (3 and 5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Johnson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When one of my daughters was much younger(maybe 6 or 7, now 14) she became interested in dad's painting...I ended up digging out some old green army men for her. They're bigger than most minis and very cheap. She had a blast!

If you're not comfortable with soldiers, you can find a wider range at a Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Maybe old west or dinosaurs or astronauts or whatever. Even if they come pre-painted, you could spray some white primer over them.

...and take it from an old dad, enjoy them while they're young, because the years will fly by....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
We got several bags of plastic men to paint from hobbytown usa. spartans, firemen, etc.
My kids REALLY liked painting the cheap plaster figures from hobby stores that you paint with grade school watercolors. I can't tell you how many of those things we painted. You can buy a set of 6 or so for 3 bucks at michaels.

this time of year you can find nativity sets for kids to paint. Maybe a gift for grandparents?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d Michel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is about the age my daughter was when she wanted to paint, I just gave her some unused townspeople minis I had lying about and she happily painted and repainted a bar maid figure for weeks. I think the figure finally ended up with purple hair and jaundice yellow skin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look around for larger figs to paint, dragons, dinosaurs etc. Does she like robots? Because then you have all kinds of options. This is to make it easier for a new painter. There are lots of cheaper kits, not gamer/hobby level, but a fine introduction to learning how to paint a mini.

If little people are more your thing, look for cheap bags of toy soldiers, cowboys, settlers, Romans, Knights. And these are all cheaper kits, with lots of figs so you can name each and they are easy to paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Cash
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 4 yr old paints the Reaper Bones minis. He destroys the brushes and uses a ton of paint, but who cares? I get to do something I like, with someone I love and he is developing his fine motor skills (and geek muscles) in the process. The good thing about Bones is that they don't need primed. In fact sometimes I don't even wash them and they suit his needs quite well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
We got several bags of plastic men to paint from hobbytown usa. spartans, firemen, etc.
My kids REALLY liked painting the cheap plaster figures from hobby stores that you paint with grade school watercolors. I can't tell you how many of those things we painted. You can buy a set of 6 or so for 3 bucks at michaels.

this time of year you can find nativity sets for kids to paint. Maybe a gift for grandparents?

This. I also recommend the cheap boxes/bags of green army men or any of the boxes of cheap plastic figures available at Target or Walmart this time of year (saw a big container of some cartoonish zombies at WM the other day).

Pro tip: be sure to lightly wash them and spray some plastic primer on them before painting. Sometimes the mold-release agent on these kinds of minis can make paint not adhere well and be frustrating to a new painter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skr8cash wrote:
The good thing about Bones is that they don't need primed. In fact sometimes I don't even wash them and they suit his needs quite well.

A quick question: do you mean you don't wash them (with soap and water) before painting, or do you mean you don't wash them (with super-thin dark paint) at the end of painting?

Also, young kids who paint minis might be the older kids or teens who can earn money painting other people's minis! Better than a paper route! (... a what? )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a cool project. Just something else to consider, and perhaps you already have, but I would suggest trying to find AP certified non-toxic paint, especially making sure you avoid cadmium and cobalt paints, as they contain heavy metals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Cash
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't wash with soap and water before painting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some great ideas here, thanks much. My 5 year old daughter has expressed an interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the ideas, everyone! I think I'm going to pick up some bags of dinosaurs and prime them up. Maybe when she gets better at painting, we can move her on to the Bones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole
United States
Lovington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! The Bones minis might wind up on my Christmas shopping list for 10 and 12 year olds. They're at that age where all the want for presents are video games, but Mom and Dad would like something besides that for presents.

I remember painting Memoir 44 minis with young "helpers" years ago. Maybe they'd enjoy it again.

Nicole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.