Subject: Does anyone here play fighting games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played them on and off ever since I was a kid. These days I play more board games than I do fighting games, so this game should be right up my alley. I'm really curious about a few things.

There's a huge variety of characters, what are the different styles like? I'm not looking for exact copies, but I do expect to see some styles: balanced, zoning, keep away, grappler, mixup, rush down etc.

What fighting game is it best to compare this game to in terms of pacing? SF2? MvC2?

Thanks for your time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
When I originally designed BattleCON, I was inspired by playing BlazBlue. My top fighting games are probably BlazBlue, P4 Arena, MvC2, and Guilty Gear--the kind of games where spacing and speed are very greatly magnified (compared to SF4 or SFxTekken where a single step makes a lot of difference).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I love fighting games, if anyone is a PS3 player and wants to have a go at Street Fighter 4, Tekken Revolution, Mortal Kombat 9, Virtual Fighter or Anarchy Reigns please send me a PM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
u1timo wrote:

There's a huge variety of characters, what are the different styles like? I'm not looking for exact copies, but I do expect to see some styles: balanced, zoning, keep away, grappler, mixup, rush down etc.

To answer your question, all of those archetypes of fighters are present in BattleCON.

Balanced: Hikaru
Zoning: Tatsumi & Juto
Keep Away: Rukyuk
Grappler: Kajia
Mixup: Vanaah
Rush Down: Kehrolyn

Then, you get to make other crazy fun archetypes that you can't in video games, like what Tanis and Cherri do.

@Rook

I'm on the PS3, but I don't get to play fighters much anymore. You can always add me if you want though. My PSN is Dorktron2000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
u1timo wrote:

I've played fighting games a fair amount but never got very technical with them, and I've played a substantial amount of BattleCON. So!

Balanced characters - Yes, though BattleCON's biggest all-rounder is in War Of Indines, not Devastation. But there are characters who have access to most of the abilities in the game.

Zoning - Yes, possibly more than in fighting games-- characters like Byron and Aria want to control distance very precisely, and I think video games are less likely to have effects that happen at specific large distances, while Byron totally has an attack that he wants to land at Range 4-- not 3, not 5. You also have Pendros and Iaxus wanting to control absolute board position to hurt opponents with location-based traps.

Keep Away - Yes, though again, the most archetypal keepaway character is in War (Rukyuk Amberdeen, the sniper). I suspect Ottavia (this set's sniper) is similar, but I haven't played her much. I play Clive as a keepaway character against face-punchers and that works great. And there's Kaitlyn, who creates asymmetric distance, another effect I'm not sure I've seen in video games. (i.e. Kaitlyn places a Wormhole, and now her medium-range attack can hit you but yours can't hit her.)

Also, the snowball characters (see below) often have strong keepaway abilities for the early game.

Grappler - Yes, though BattleCON grapplers tend to be lightweight/quick fighters who fling their opponents around the room, not slow tanks.

Mixup - There are lots of prediction-based characters, like Arec and Lymn. There's no equivalent of high/low attacks, but Lymn uses slow/fast mixups (i.e. she wants her speed to be as different from her opponent as possible; if her opponent is picking a fast move, she wants to pick a slow move, not outspeed them.)

Rushdown - This is probably the archetype that translates most directly. Shekhtur, Hepzibah, some builds of Joal, I think Runika and Clinhyde (haven't played them)... all want to quickly hammer the opponent before they can get a gameplan together.

Other BattleCON archetypes...

Stance fighters - Zaamassal, Lesandra, and Gerard all have access to lots of abilities, but need to plan ahead to have the right one available at a given moment. (Zaamassal is the only one themed as a stance fighter, but I feel like that's what Lesandra's familiars and Gerard's mercenaries amount to.)

Landscape fighters - I alluded to this before, but Aria, Voco, Kaitlyn and others all create semi-permanent board features that opponents have to be aware of.

Snowball fighters - Oriana, Marmelee, Demitras and Clive all bide their time until they've got the resources for a massive attack or the ability to neutralize the opponent.

Brawlers - Some characters have no real range game, but are devastating close-up and have movement tools to stick to enemies (César, Pendros... Adjenna?)

Griefers - Lixis, Iaxus, Kaitlyn, Rexan, Arec... all specialize in removing opponent options or giving them penalties.

Counterattackers - Eligor, Mikhail, Cadenza (there must be others!) don't mind being hit because they hit back harder when taking damage.

Um, sorry for the novella. TLDR: BattleCON has some of the same strategic archetypes as fighting games, and some of its own. The fighters definitely cluster in groups the way video game fighters do, even when the clusters aren't the same ones you'd see in video games.

(And I don't think I'm a technical enough video game player to compare the pacing, though when I finally played Guilty Gear this summer, it 'felt' more like BattleCON than any other fighter I've played, in ways that are hard to describe.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
When I originally designed BattleCON, I was inspired by playing BlazBlue.
Called it. Well, almost.

Something told me that Guilty Gear/BlazBlue were top inspirations for BattleCON when randomly thinking about it one day.

Though I suppose for people that know those games it isn't that big of a surprise. So many BattleCON characters look like they're directly inspired by certain GG/BB characters.

All three games have unique, interesting characters that have "companions" that fight alongside them, or weird "summoning" attacks. I think that's what tipped me off the most.

As for me, the only fighting games I ever really got into were the Smash Bros. games. I mean, there were a couple others here and there that I got really good at, but Smash was the only one I actually competed in and had a regular group to play and train with.

Looking forward to the next game coming out next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:

Snowball fighters - Oriana, Marmelee, Demitras and Clive all bide their time until they've got the resources for a massive attack or the ability to neutralize the opponent.

This is funny. I've been playing a lot of Runika lately on Yaron's Python program and I was trying to categorize her. I think your terminology here is fitting, although the opposite of what Runika is. She begins the duel with all her artifacts ready to go, and weakens as the duel continues. She would be an...Anti-Snowballer?

Edit: How about a Shrinker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Holm
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Shocktrooper?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guilty Gear/Blazblue are definitely not for everyone but IMO they are hands down the best 2d fighting game experience you can have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the replies I really want to pick this up now.

I don't suppose anyone knows the availability in Canada (more specifically Toronto)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
u1timo wrote:
Thanks so much for the replies I really want to pick this up now.

I don't suppose anyone knows the availability in Canada (more specifically Toronto)?

It isn't available quite yet. We still haven't received the Kickstarter copies, but they should be shipping this week. Hopefully by next month, retailers will receive their copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
grasa_total wrote:

This is funny. I've been playing a lot of Runika lately on Yaron's Python program and I was trying to categorize her. I think your terminology here is fitting, although the opposite of what Runika is. She begins the duel with all her artifacts ready to go, and weakens as the duel continues. She would be an...Anti-Snowballer?

In RPG terms, I would say Runika is a kiter. She likes to get in quickly, make little hits, and then back off or push her opponent to make sure she doesn't get hit back. I don't know that translates to fighting games, but she definitely likes to hover around 2-3 range IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runika is a Glass Cannon, who gets much weaker from each hit she gets than any other character in the game.

I've been playing Fighting Games since Yie Air Kung Fu (and i just showed my age here) and im more into the older school Fighting Games specially the SNK ones (Samurai Showdown rules!)

My favorite fighting game lately is Def Jam Fight For NY, though, because i just love Create-A-Fighter and this game has one of the best ever. I also enjoy the WWE games a hell lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, hell yeah, Samurai Shodown is the best. I still play my SamSho Anthology on PS2 every month or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when I had a GameCube, my brothers and roommate really enjoyed Naruto Gekkido Ninja Taisen 3. We had a Japanese copy and a disc that allowed it to play on an American console. Took us forever to figure out how to turn on the autosave, though, since none of us actually read Japanese.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you really don't know squat about fighting games before playing boxing on the Atari2600. The one where the fighter is 3 balls connected by 2 sticks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dinobottm2 wrote:
But you really don't know squat about fighting games before playing boxing on the Atari2600. The one where the fighter is 3 balls connected by 2 sticks.

That's hilarious Thiago. The other day I was commenting how this was actually my first "fighting game" haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
dinobottm2 wrote:
Runika is a Glass Cannon, who gets much weaker from each hit she gets than any other character in the game.

I can't quite agree, because she has a Full Rotation with 2+ Soak (Maintenance, Tinker, Channeled), though the middle part of that rotation is Priority dependent. Also, her damage isn't that high. So basically I dispute both the Glass and the Cannon part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought berserker is a better term for Runika. Starts strong, but tires out as the game progresses.

I have played boxing on the Atari, it always made me laugh when their noses push in.

I still play Yie Ar Kung Fu. I also love Karateka, the Commodore 64 Bruce Lee, International Karate and Bad Dudes. C64 Cyborg Ninja also blew my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier D.
France
Brulain
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't believe you C64'ers forgot BARBARIAN !

I think I've played and liked most of the SF2 clones, KoF series, Samurai Shodown series, Last Blade 1 & 2, Soul Blade/Calibur series, and the various Marvel/X-Men games. Guess that makes me a SNK fanboy

Guilty Gears felt rather meh for some reason, and I could never love Mortal Kombat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mildaene wrote:

I think I've played and liked most of the SF2 clones, KoF series, Samurai Shodown series, Last Blade 1 & 2, Soul Blade/Calibur series, and the various Marvel/X-Men games. Guess that makes me a SNK fanboy

Guilty Gears felt rather meh for some reason, and I could never love Mortal Kombat.

Now, the biggest question is: who else plays the Realistic one-hit-kill Bushido Blade series here other than me?!?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
dinobottm2 wrote:
mildaene wrote:

Now, the biggest question is: who else plays the Realistic one-hit-kill Bushido Blade series here other than me?!?!?!

That would be me.

For ages I was doing the bad ending. But then someone told me about the extra bosses, I done it and I felt like I had re-discovered the game again.

I only made it to 100 kills once, all the other times I would get to something silly like 97 and then take a hit.

My favourite was the red ninja girl with the short blade? I found her ability to backflip away invaluable.

My brother used the large guy with the two handed sword. Sometimes he crushed me just with the weight of the blade.

Thanks for bringing up good memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dinobottm2 wrote:
mildaene wrote:

I was playing Bushido Blade around the same time as Tenchu when I was in junior high. Damn, those were fun games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier D.
France
Brulain
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Bushido Blade was fun too, but I didn't get to play it much.
I do remember epic crawl'n stab contests when both contestants couldn't stand up anymore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
mildaene wrote:
Yeah Bushido Blade was fun too, but I didn't get to play it much.
I do remember epic crawl'n stab contests when both contestants couldn't stand up anymore

That was when it was the most tense - both of you are injured and trying to deal the killing blow.

I also loved that you had an entire castle to explore and fight in. Sometimes you had to pick the best ground to defeat your opponent.

For example, the bamboo forest was excellent against opponents wielding the Naginata. Or the bridge was great if your opponent relied on sweeping attacks.

Ah, such good memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.