Subject: Flipped Units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Levy
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
If an air unit is supposed to be flipped over when it takes off as it says in the rules, then what is the point of having a radar line at all? Can anyone explain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
coalie wrote:
If an air unit is supposed to be flipped over when it takes off as it says in the rules, then what is the point of having a radar line at all? Can anyone explain?

The radar line allows the RAF player to examine stacks of German units. Before a German stack of units crosses the radar line, only the top unit would be visible, while thers in the stack would remain hidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That still doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

As the German player, I might move three units from three different airfields in France.

Each time one of my units takes off I flip it to its *revealed* side. So the British player knows full well what each unit is!

Assuming I converge the three units into a three-block stack in the English Channel, outside of the British radar range, only the top unit is now visible. Fine.

But the British player has to have a brain like a goldfish to forget what the other two units are in the stack.

What am I missing here?

Surely it would be better to *mark* each unit that takes off with a tiddly wink, or something like that, rather than revealing it to the British player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You make an interesting observation Matthew. However, let us say that the German player starts out the with multiple units already stacked on an airfield. He then takes off by flipping the units face up but with only one unit on top of the stack revealing itself to the British player as he starts to fly a course. He then meets up this stack of lets say two units with another stack that is in the air to form a stack of 4 units (if his Command Level or card play allows the larger stack for this turn). On a subsequent turn he takes part of this stack and flies it into a square already containing another small stack and joins with it. As all these German planes are flying toward their targets, it might be a relief for the British player to finally have his radar allow him to look through the various stacks to make sure of their content. Without the radar, it is possible (even if the British player has more brains than a goldfish) that he would be unsure of exactly what was in what stack at any given time. At least this is my experience from playing the game the few times that I have against an opponent rather than my usual solo playing experience. Of course Matthew, I must admit that at my advanced age of 65 my mind and memory are not what they used to be. There most certainly might be some goldfish swimming around in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided to keep all air units face down until spotted by the enemy - all airborne units are marked with a plastic disk until that time. Works for the radar limits, and decoys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.