Subject: Need some help refining my deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Bingham

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
Hey guys,

As my username suggests, I LOVE HB. Unfortunately, all I can seem to do with them is lose or fast-advance like crazy. Neither is very fun (and losing isn't competitive) so I've made the switch to Weyland (the general idea is that I kill your programs then score agendas in those windows where you are searching for a breaker).

Here is the list:

Identity:
Weyland: BABW (this ID seems better than the other at the moment)

Agendas:
Priority Requisition x2
Government Contracts x2
Project Atlas x3
Hostile Takeover x2

Assets:
Melange Mining Corp x2
Jackson Howard x3
Aggressive Secretary x2 (most of the people on OCTGN I've played have been surprised that Weyland runs traps)

ICE:
Shadow x2
Ice Wall x3
Hadrian's Wall x2
Enigma x2 (this is my only code gate)
Chimera x3 (this works well with my rush strategy and my kill-one-of-your-breakers strategy)
Caduceus x2
Bastion x2
Archer x2

Operations:
Scorched Earth x2 (I know that I probably should be running 3 SEs but 2 have worked so far and I can't find anything I want to cut...)
Hedge Fund x3 (duh)
Beanstalk Royalties x3 (even more duh)
SEA Source x1
Green Level Clearance x3
Closed Accounts x1 (had one influence left and this fits the bill quite nicely, I've had issues with tag-me criminals with 3 plascretes so this card helps out against them)

Upgrade:
Corporate Troubleshooter x2

So this deck starts out as a rush deck (lots of burst economy and cheap ICE) then switches gears into a superserver deck that Weyland likes to run. I find that I win more by agendas than I do by flatline (once again, apparently nobody has heard of Weyland running Aggressive Secretary around here).

Second thoughts hasn't really done much for this deck except for Restructure and I can't find any obvious cards to cut, my ICE is a little low already and I can't find any operations that aren't necessary (I could cut Melange but I like having the runner run through my Chimera-Archer-Hadrians server just to trash it). I also want to add a third Hostile but since it isn't necessary I haven't done so yet (and, once again, don't know what to cut).

Thoughts on what to cut and what to add would be greatly appreciated.

Bioroid86
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jones
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
This might be bad advice, but you could trade out the 2 Hostile Takeovers for 1 Geothermal Fracking if you've got it. It reduces your agenda count by one and allows you an extra card. It does almost the same thing, and if you score it, it's like having 2 Hostile Takeovers at once. At the same time, you can't score it from hand without some help like Trick of Light. Weyland LOVES Trick of Light, especially if you use the free credit to upgrade ice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SIMON WRAY
Bermuda
Devonshire
Devonshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rognik wrote:
This might be bad advice, but you could trade out the 2 Hostile Takeovers for 1 Geothermal Fracking if you've got it. It reduces your agenda count by one and allows you an extra card. It does almost the same thing, and if you score it, it's like having 2 Hostile Takeovers at once. At the same time, you can't score it from hand without some help like Trick of Light. Weyland LOVES Trick of Light, especially if you use the free credit to upgrade ice.

I suspect you are referring to a Weyland deck archetype using the other ID - Because We Built It.

I like Geothermal, but those Hostiles are easy to score and can get your economy back up, but more importantly they feed your Archers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you could opt for something else. Since your main strategy isn't flatlining you could drop scorced, sea source and project atlas entirely and instead run another aggressive sectretary, another priority req, another gov contracts, another Hostile Takeover and a couple of Restructuring.

The advantage to this is that the runner is still gonna waste time and money installing Plascretes. The disadvantage is that you then absolutely need to win on agendas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you're running the program destruction angle, have you thought about rototurret and grim? Both also play well with the troubleshooters you're already running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Bingham

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
@Rognik: I tried using Geothermals instead of Priority Requisitions for a while but had plenty of money already (and would end up with 5-7 bad publicity regularly) and it hurts to throw a two-pointer to an archer. Also, I never got TOL to work (though that was before Jackson came out... I'll have to try it now).

@Blueswan: While I could drop the SS and SE for another Aggressive Secretary more often than not, somebody leaves themselves wide open for a SS-SE-Jackson-Atlas-SE combo (and those are really fun to pull off) and I find that SS, trash loaded Kati, trash another econ resource is also a strong play...

@CommissarFeesh: I never have like Rototurret or Grim (Roto dies to Shaper insta-parasite which I run and when I run Grim I'm swimming in bad publicity) but have never really considered them with Troubleshooter much before (Archer sometimes is a pain to set up and Swarm is too expensive for my liking).

Thanks for the comments everyone, I'll be trying these things out soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.