Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I organize Netrunner events in the Denver-metro area. I'm trying to wrap my head around how I might run Netrunner drafts.

Here are some things that are running through my brain:
X It seems, not counting the reusable starter, it'll cost players $24 to draft. Including tax and prize-support, I'll round up to $30. I'm concerned about players facing wallet-fatigue.
X This format sounds really fun. I think I'd enjoy playing it every month though not paying for it every month. I wonder if others would play it that often if money wasn't an issue.
X I appreciate the 10-card algorithm. I also might appreciate the randomness of removing it and giving underdogs a greater chance to win. But then, I don't even know how important or relevant it is go game balance. I also don't know how much others will care.
X I'd like to support the store we play at and not create a method that lowers their earning potential. I recognize that charging the maximum possible isn't necessarily maximizing their earning potential. Happy players is likely most important.
X Since this hasn't been entirely released, I might be missing some key information. For instance, maybe the algorithm is somewhat obvious or the cards are marked. If you know something I don't, please let me know.

Ways I could run this:
A Just run it normally for $30. I'll call this, "Pure Draft."
B Allow people to buy in for $30, or to buy in for $5 and bring their own set of 40 Runner and 40 Corp draft cards. Those cards will be shuffled into all other contributed cards plus some from the store. They will then be dealt back out to the players who brought their own cards. We'll try to even inter-splice those who bought fresh "algorithmed" drafts. People can bring any 40 draft cards that they want. After playing in two drafts, they could even pull out starters to help get them up to 3x and assemble their 80 cards from ones they don't want. If they run around the country drafting and bring in 40 Scorched Earths, they can go ahead and bomb that meta laugh Heck, it could be kinda fun if someone manages to pull that off. In all seriousness, their ability to effect the meta will be minimized by cost, the store's cards shuffled in, and the other players' cards. I'll call this, "Economy Draft."
C I could run it some other way I haven't thought of yet. I'm open to suggestions.

So, what do you think?

Poll: Drafting Methods
Please answer for yourself, not what you think others would think.
Which format would you most enjoy?
  great option for me okay option for me I don't like this option I'm not interested in Netrunner drafts
Monthly Pure Draft
Monthly Economy Draft
Pure Draft every other month
Economy Draft every other month
Alternating Pure/Economy Draft every month
Alternating Pure/Economy Draft every other month
      26 answers
Poll created by Quizoid

edits: messed up my first poll (only up for two minutes), added [poll] to the subject-line

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedraum
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: TO Seeks Advice from the Peanut Gallery Concerning Drafts
Don't forget half-drafts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Fetterkey
msg tools
mb
cardsbydizzle wrote:

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fetterkey wrote:
cardsbydizzle wrote:

This.

Is that where one side plays runner and the other corp? They only suggest that for big groups. Think it would work for smaller ones, too? I'll probably shift to the half-drafts whenever there are enough folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Fetterkey
msg tools
mb
I honestly think the half draft is just better regardless of group size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan dargenio
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can't really run economy draft with player-provided cards spliced in with actual draft packs. The draft packs do not consist of 40 random cards, and they definitely don't consist of 40 cards nobody wants or has extras of, (read: marginally playable core set 3-ofs).

People in the forums are already looking into the algorithm for how draft packs are assembled. What it looks like is a set number of certain types of cards, (each corp pack has at least 3 ICE, 1 Agenda, and something that can be installed in a server, and each runner pack has I think at least 3 Icebreakers).

If you want to run a draft in which players don't have to buy draft packs, I think the better option is to wait until someone creates a draft pack generator online using something close to FFG's draft pack creating algorithm and assemble draft packs based on that from a common pool of cards, probably a play set of cards that the store owns, and simply charge a little more to cover the cost of the store opening data packs and core sets for the store to play with. This is sort of a pain in the ass.

You'd probably be better off just running drafts where people all have to buy draft packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Draft League:

Each player buys in for a full draft: starter,corp, and runner draft packs.

Play a full draft on Draft League night 1.

Players keep their starter sets. They also keep their 40 drafted corp cards, and 40 drafted runner cards. They must bring these cards back to Draft League night 2.

On Draft League night 2, players shuffle their 40 runner cards and 40 corp cards. Now have a full draft using these cards. At the end of this draft, players keep their cards again, and bring them back to Draft League night 3.

Drafting from the same pool of cards over and over could get stale with too few players, so you might not want to do this more than two or three times with less than 8 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mediohxcore wrote:
someone creates a draft pack generator online.

Yes please. Someone do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's another option. As a store you can just open a bunch of draft packs. Write down what cards were in each pack in which order. Then charge just $5 or $10 to enter the draft tournament. Make players buy their own draft starters. You might lose money on the first tournament since you opened so many packs. But then at the end you take all the cards back and put them back the way they started. Then you can have another draft tournament again with the same packs.

Odds are very low the same packs will go to the same players sitting in the same arrangement. Lots of replay value there. Oh yeah, make sure the seating is random!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward K.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apreche wrote:

Odds are very low the same packs will go to the same players sitting in the same arrangement. Lots of replay value there. Oh yeah, make sure the seating is random!

This is probably one of the more important parts if you're going to reuse draft packs. Make sure you do a lotto like system where you draw names out of a hat and put them in groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:
fetterkey wrote:
cardsbydizzle wrote:

This.

Is that where one side plays runner and the other corp? They only suggest that for big groups. Think it would work for smaller ones, too? I'll probably shift to the half-drafts whenever there are enough folks.

The minimum recommended tournament size for a half draft is 8 because that's what you need to have at least 4 people to a pod. Less than that is pretty lame for a number of reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobin Lopes
United States
Thornton
Dark Side of the Moon
flag msg tools
Serving the Emperor since 1971
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One amazing side effect of the draft packs is that they can serve as prizes outside the game night kits. Win a tourney? Don't want another mat? Already have the alt art card? Get a draft pack for future events!!

Yay! I favor the pure draft (whether full or half) every once a while with an Econ draft very other time. Keeps the store active and selling while also not breaking those lighter wallets.

-tpl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
The biggest problem with a draft pack generator would be that because you would have to build it you would know what is in all the packs. In a draft that is information you shouldn't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.