Popular Tags: [View All]
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing base game with 5 players, is it a big cheat to put 6 event cards from 'on the brink' expansion?
We run out of cards quickly
thanks
LOVE THIS GAME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely, yes! Shame on you for even thinking such a thing!

But, no, more seriously, I personally use the New Events rules from On The Brink (that state to use 2 events per player) even when I'm not using any other On The Brink content (well, other than the Roles).

So, if what you're saying is to use a total of 11 event cards (5 from the base game and 6 from On The Brink) then, no, I wouldn't consider that a big cheat, as you're only adding one more card, and that wouldn't make a huge difference. You could even add all 8 On The Brink Event Cards and it still wouldn't make a huge difference!

In short: it's your game. If you want to play it that way, then do so. No one's going to stop you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
www.cascadecon.games
badge
Cascade Games Convention: Bellingham, Washington's premier tabletop board game playing event
mbmbmbmbmb
It is never cheating to play a game exactly the way you want to play, so long as you disclose differences from the rules as written and everyone agrees ahead of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks booth. So it can be played as 5 player game, and I will add 1 card per player. Thanks a lot.
Live long and prosper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Textor
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

In short: it's your game. If you want to play it that way, then do so. No one's going to stop you.

This is always the bottom line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Textor
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grammatoncleric wrote:
It is never cheating to play a game exactly the way you want to play,

And this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also "cheat" by adding an extra event card to make the deck an even number. Games aren't fun for my group when you need to draw two cards, and there's only one left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine making the game 5 players might make it tougher?
It's been the general wisdom that *less* players makes it a little easier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mazanec
Mexico
Ajijic
Jalisco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:
I imagine making the game 5 players might make it tougher?
It's been the general wisdom that *less* players makes it a little easier?

The start can certainly be tougher depending on how many cards you start with.

2 players @ 4 cards = 8
3 players @ 3 cards = 9
4 players @ 2 cards = 8

If you extrapolate as 'cards/player = 6 - players' or 'cards/player = 9 div players,' and want to start all w/ the same #, 5 players start w/ 1 card each

(Or you give up on the 'all w/ the same #' part and distribute the remaining 3 (for 'harder?') or 4 (for 'easier?')...maybe to the players starting later in the rotation for 'harder?')
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BobMazanec wrote:

The start can certainly be tougher depending on how many cards you start with.

(I don't know about playing with 5 or more, since I tend to be fairly strict and play with the official maximum of 4, but - obviously folks can get experimental if they like)

But anyway, I've read many posts here in the past that suggest that with only 2 players it's easier to collect the cards you need for a cure because the cards are only spread over two people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On The Brink has official 5 player rules - you put 2 events per player into the deck (OTB comes with extra events), then for 5 players you start with two cards per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
On The Brink has official 5 player rules - you put 2 events per player into the deck (OTB comes with extra events), then for 5 players you start with two cards per player.

I thought the 5th player was always the Bio Terrorist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vasher wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

No, you can play the normal game, and, I believe, the mutation challenge, virulent strain challenge, and, if you've got In The Lab as well, lab challenge all with 5 players by using the On The Brink rules as detailed above.

It recommends against playing the bio-terrorist challenge with 6, though, iirc.

In The Lab allows for 6 players in it's team challenge though, and included rules for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vasher wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Oh! I thought that too, I guess I haven't used OTB for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.