United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
I searched the forum and didn't see this request. I would desperately love to be able to include bgg markup in a post that renders as an html anchor tag. For example, I'd like to be able to do something like this:

[a id="Intro"]INTRODUCTION[/a]

And then, elsewhere in the post, do something like this:

[a href="#Intro"]Go back to the introduction.[/a]

These examples show jumping within the same page, which is a little chancy when used across multiple posts. So probably other reference tags would need to be modified to support ids as optional attributes:

[thread=536444 href="#Intro"]Some Thread[/thread]
[article=5174370 href="#Intro"]Some Reply[/article]

(The former would ideally search the entire thread for the tag, but of course it's a lot easier to just render as the URL plus the hash reference.)

Naturally, anyone could add the hash manually to any URL, and this would not require any additional development:

[url=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5174370#Intro]Same Reply[/url].

Ideally, as in real html, certain other tags (bold, italic, code, etc.) would allow ids to be defined as well:

[b id="Intro"]INTRODUCTION[/b]
[b id="Footnote"]*[/b] What I mean by that is, ....
[i id="Disclaim"]Disclaimer:[/i] I am not a lawyer.
[o id="Answer"]If you calculated 64, you're right![/o]

Now, one potential problem is that two users might post tags with the same name on the same page, so a recommended best practice might be to include one's username or other unique string in one's tags; for example,

[a id="BillMartinsonIntro"]INTRODUCTION[/a].

For a real-life example of where this would be unbefreakinglievably useful, consider this thread. All those hundreds of gray-background references should really be hyperlinks (and I would definitely make it happen if I could generate anchor tags), but as of today I can only hyperlink to things that are outside of BGG.

As you can probably guess from that post, this feature has been my most-desired markup addition for years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, if that's too big an undertaking, something similar could be accomplished in a different way, by parsing page URLs for a search string.

[thread=536444 search="1.0 Introduction"]Go back to the introduction.[/thread]
[article=5174370 search="Disclaimer:"]Go to the disclaimer.[/article]

Presumably this could be implemented by defining a generic search function within BGG urls:

[url=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5174370?search="1.0 Introduction"]Go intro[/url]

Then every page load would basically parse the URL to see if a search was indicated, then run the search.

One downside of this option is the loss of precision: users would have to be very careful to make the search string unique enough that the find would land in the expected location, which would mean in some cases adding extra baggage (like unnecessary punctuation or something) to make the search string unique.

Another downside is the overhead of the search functionality (whereas the earlier proposal makes the user and the browser do the heavy lifting).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.