Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked this game up and played my 1st game (not necessarily correctly) and have a few questions. Here goes: 1st turn, card #1, under Political, it states +1 Political DRM (in yellow) and -1 Monarchy and +1 Republic. Does this mean that if I'm rolling for Republic I get a total of +2? If rolling for Monarchy (not that I would at this time) I get a drm if 0 (+1 and -1)?

Also, since I have 2 actions on card #1, when I roll on Political, is the -1 Monarchy and the +1 Republic ONE die roll with the result applied to each or can I pick Monarchy or Republic to apply the die roll to (prior to the roll)? Is the yellow +1 Political DRM applicable to all rolls or only the first? Is it optional? Do I have to use it?

In other words...if I rolled a 4, do I have the +1 drm for the yellow box and the -1 for Monarchy plus the +1 for Republic all added together as one big die roll; thus reducing Monarchy one space and increasing Republic one space all for one action...or can I break these up into separate actions...one roll for Monarchy (with the yellow modifier) and another roll for Republic...at an extra action cost?

Must Political die rolls be conducted on each card draw that allows them...or are they optional? After several turns I was able to get Republic to its highest level and Monarchy to -1...so I thought, why fuss with this since I'm where I want to be politically.

Card #9 states Reaction! In its Political box...does this mean anything?

Naval actions and the Brits: The Brits are in space #1, Rouen, can I attack them, and if successful, move them to space #2 or must I battle the navy instead? Also, same example, Brits retreat from #1 Rouen to #2 Amiens, if the French now attack the Royal Navy and are successful, do the Brits retreat from #2 Amiens to #4 At Sea (the two space retreat rule)?

Just to double check...is it true that ANYTIME the Brits are in #4 At Sea, the French MUST expend one action to attack them?

That should do it for now...thanks...Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Welch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Jim - here is my best shot at answering your questions:

If a card contains a yellow DRM value, it can only be used on that particular turn (which is the card in play). The pluses and minuses on the card are executed automatically as they reflect the results of the event on the card. So on the first card, you would have a +1 DRM to any Political Track roll and the Monarchy marker would move down one space and the Republic marker would move up one space.

All actions cost one Action to attempt and can be done as long as the current condition of the game allows it e.g. you could not attempt a Liberation Action unless a Liberation Marker was on the map. You may choose to conduct a Political Action but it is up to you. The game is dynamic so there are times when you might want to attempt to raise or lower a Political Track to gain the advantage it might offer e.g. having Republic higher than the other two tracks gives you a +1 DRM to the French Army and thus Battle rolls.

A Reaction on an Event Card causes the highest Political Track to move down one space and the lowest Political Track to move up one space (if there is a tie for one or the other, then there is no effect). Reaction represents the tendency of people in a revolution to push for moderation when things seem to be getting out-of-hand.

Battling the Royal Navy is a risk vs reward decision. The Royal Navy is harder to beat but if successful, the British Army is retreated two spaces instead of just one. The only exception to this choice is that the British Army At Sea can only be attacked by attacking the British Navy. You are not obligated to battle the British at any point...except if they occupy Paris because if they remain there until the end of the turn, you lose the game.

I hope this was helpful and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks John...but I'm still a bit confused...I thought that if the Brits were at sea, then you MUST use an action to attack them?

Also, Naval actions and the Brits: The Brits are in space #1, Rouen, can I attack them, and if successful, move them to space #2 or must I battle the navy instead? Also, same example, Brits retreat from #1 Rouen to #2 Amiens, if the French now attack the Royal Navy and are successful, do the Brits retreat from #2 Amiens to #4 At Sea (the two space retreat rule)?

I guess I'm just having trouble getting my head around the Brits whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Welch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They can be trouble :-)

You don't HAVE to attack the Royal Navy - no actions are ever mandated save getting enemies armies out of Paris. With your example - yes, if you attack the British Army in space #1 it is retreated to space #2. You can CHOOSE to attack the British Navy instead but you don't have to. You are correct again, if the British Army is in space #2 and you defeat the Royal Navy then the British Army would have to retreat two spaces to space #4.

Keep at it and I wish you a successful revolution :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
John, thanks for the super quick response! And yes....I am enjoying the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
John,
One more time on the Royal Navy . In the upper left corner of the map, where London is located, the box to the left of the British Nelson [4] marker. The box states that a naval action vs the British Navy (4) MUST be fought when the British Army is at sea.

But in an earlier response (see below) you said I didn't have to attack them...sorry to belabor the point, perhaps the map's box is incorrect?

John Welch
(professorwelch)

They can be trouble :-)

You don't HAVE to attack the Royal Navy - no actions are ever mandated save getting enemies armies out of Paris. With your example - yes, if you attack the British Army in space #1 it is retreated to space #2. You can CHOOSE to attack the British Navy instead but you don't have to. You are correct again, if the British Army is in space #2 and you defeat the Royal Navy then the British Army would have to retreat two spaces to space #4.

Keep at it and I wish you a successful revolution :-)
Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:41 pm
QuickReply QuickQuote Reply Quote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a game with a +22! wowI did not use "...must attack Royal Navy..." though. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Welch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The French Republicans salute you!

The language on the map means that if you want to attack the British Army in the 4 space (At Sea) then you must use a naval attack to do so...no land army attack at sea :-) BUT you don't HAVE to attack the British Army when it is at sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
professorwelch wrote:
The French Republicans salute you!

The language on the map means that if you want to attack the British Army in the 4 space (At Sea) then you must use a naval attack to do so...no land army attack at sea :-) BUT you don't HAVE to attack the British Army when it is at sea.

Okay, thanks...but it is a bit confusing...maybe a future update could clarify that?...still a pretty fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.