12 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Story Card: Reap the Whirlwind rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This idea was originally inspired by wydraz's custom story idea in the "Story Builder, please!" thread.

REAP THE WHIRLWIND

The Dust Devils are on the rise. The time is right to make a bold move. They just need a brave crew to send the right message -- the destruction of an Alliance cruiser in the heart of Alliance territory will show that they are a force to be reckoned with.

GOAL 1: Getting in Deep

Your mysterious contact wants to make sure you're the right crew for the job. You also think they may want to make sure they have some leverage on you...

To Complete Goal, become Solid with Patience, Badger, and Niska.

Special: Illegal jobs pay $500 extra until this Goal is complete.

GOAL 2: Burning Bridges

Having proven yourself, your contact has provided you with a shopping list of what you'll need for the job. Unfortunately, there are only a few planets well-stocked enough to get everything, and you're probably going to need to break a few laws to get what you need.

To Complete Goal, travel to any supply planet and successfully Misbehave 4 times. If a Warrant is issued or the job is botched, you must try on a different supply planet.

Special: After completing this Goal, your next action must be to Fly, ending your action in Border Space. If you return to the sector before the end of the game, you have an Alliance Cruiser encounter.

GOAL 3: Lighting the Match

You have everything you need. Now, you just need to sneak onto an Alliance Cruiser -- or get yourself taken prisoner -- and then blow the thing to smithereens.

Bernadette, White Sun. Misbehave 3 times.

Tech test - 9.
1-8 - Attempt Botched & Warrant Issued. Move Alliance Cruiser to Bernadette and Evade.
9 - Success! The Alliance Cruiser goes up in a big ball of fiery destruction!
The first player to blow up an Alliance Cruiser wins the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Looks exciting! I like the idea of trying to blow up an Alliance Cruiser. devil

I have a couple of questions though, about Goal 2:

gwek wrote:

To Complete Goal, travel to any supply planet and successfully Misbehave 4 times. If a Warrant is issued or the job is botched, you must try on a different supply planet.

Can you double back to the first supply planet after trying (and failing) somewhere else? If not, what happens if you fail on all 5 supply planets?

gwek wrote:

Special: After completing this Goal, your next action must be to Fly, ending your action in Border Space. If you return to the sector before the end of the game, you have an Alliance Cruiser encounter.

Return to which sector? The sector containing the supply planet you completed the goal on?

If you complete this goal on Osiris, you can't just Mosey out to Border Space. What happens if you're forced to stop moving while still inside Alliance Space?

Do you actually move the Cruiser when you resolve this Alliance Contact? 3 of the 5 supply planets are outside Alliance Space...

Or did you mean "if you return to Alliance Space, resolve an Alliance Contact"? I know that's not what you said, but it makes sense compared to "ending your move in Border Space" and it prevents the Alliance from exerting their influence outside of Alliance Space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm glad you like it! This was my first attempt at a Story Card, and I wanted to do something a little different than the Cash Grabs or "3 tests" model that some of the existing ones seem to be.

I suspect that means I got some stuff wrong.

Stewi wrote:
Looks exciting! I like the idea of trying to blow up an Alliance Cruiser. devil

I have a couple of questions though, about Goal 2:

gwek wrote:

Can you double back to the first supply planet after trying (and failing) somewhere else? If not, what happens if you fail on all 5 supply planets?

As written, you could double back to the original supply planet, but I would think a better tactic would be to rotate through all five first (to avoid the Alliance), unless you're planning to do more shopping.

Stewi wrote:

gwek wrote:

Return to which sector? The sector containing the supply planet you completed the goal on?

If you complete this goal on Osiris, you can't just Mosey out to Border Space. What happens if you're forced to stop moving while still inside Alliance Space?

Do you actually move the Cruiser when you resolve this Alliance Contact? 3 of the 5 supply planets are outside Alliance Space...

1) I meant the sector containing the supply planet. I didn't have the book in front of me, so my phrasing may be off.

2) Good question re: Osiris. My intention was to end the goal as far away from the next goal as possible, but clearly it needs to be clarified or re-phrased. Suggestions?

3) I had not intended to move the Alliance Cruiser. This represents the authorities coming in to investigate... and now they've got your number, so if you show up, they're looking for you. (The idea was inspired to some extent by the Operative variant).

Stewi wrote:
Or did you mean "if you return to Alliance Space, resolve an Alliance Contact"? I know that's not what you said, but it makes sense compared to "ending your move in Border Space" and it prevents the Alliance from exerting their influence outside of Alliance Space.

Interesting point re: the Alliance exerting their influence outside of Alliance Space, although I guess I was thinking of folks like The Operative or the Blue Sun troubleshooters rather than an actual cruiser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this is intentional, but +500 on illegal jobs looks like a big boost to Malcolm Reynolds (who already gets +500 on illegal jobs)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's similar to the Set Up for "Desperadoes."

I thought about requiring that you do at least one illegal job per contact, or just one illegal job (although that's implied with Niska).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi Stewart
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like it!

But I think instead of going to Bernadette, White Sun, you should go the actual alliance cruiser to get the third goal and that's the ship you blow up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi Stewart
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My fiance and I played this scenario and it turned out to be a quick game (1 hour), which is fine for people looking for a faster game but we like the longer ones. To make it longer, I would add a money requirement for Goal 2 before misbehaving at the supply planet, something between $1200 and $1500.

We took out the requirement to fly to border space after misbehaving in the supply planet because that mechanic wasn't clear to us. But we changed it so that after misbehaving at the supply planet, you can never return to that planet or space on the board again ever, which was interesting.

For goal three, we decided to blow up the actual alliance cruiser game piece instead of going to a planet. That brought up the question of what happens if someone placed the cruiser on you or you get the contact card. We decided in those situations, you have to evade. So to blow up the ship, you have to actually fly to it yourself.

We decided being a wanted ship didn't matter because once you are on, you're going to blow it up so your fines and stuff don't matter. However, after playing it, we have debated about maybe you have to get solid with Harken for the third goal in order to get him to let you on his ship. But, how could you possibly get solid with him after all the illegal stuff you have done? Surely he has a record on you. So those mechanics need to be fine tuned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me That is, myself
msg tools
Malcolm Reynolds only gets the bonus on crime jobs, not all illegal jobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Nightshade
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I made a few alterations, what do you think?

REAP THE WHIRLWIND
The Dust Devils are on the rise. The time is right to make a bold move. They just need a brave crew to send the right message -- the destruction of an Alliance cruiser in the heart of Alliance territory will show that they are a force to be reckoned with.
Set up - This game requires the use of the 'prison break' rule varient
Goal 1 Getting in Deep - Your mysterious contact wants to make sure you're the right crew for the job. You also think they may want to make sure they have some leverage on you...
Get solid with all contacts except Harken
Have $10,000 in hand
Goal 2 Burning Bridges - Having proven yourself, your contact has provided you with a shopping list of what you'll need for the job. Unfortunately, there are only a few planets well-stocked enough to get everything, and you're probably going to need to break a few laws to get what you need.
Go to each supply depot and misbehave 2X.
If you fail/botch/get warrent during this, you must try at all other depots before being able to return to that one.
Goal 3 Lighting the Match - You have everything you need. Now, you just need to sneak onto an Alliance Cruiser -- or get yourself taken prisoner -- and then blow the thing to smithereens.
Head to the Alliance Cruiser and misbehave 3X
Tech test 10+: 1-7 all wanted crew arrested, attempt botched; 8-9 warrent issued and evade, attempt botched; 10+ SUCCESS! The Alliance Cruiser goes up in a big ball of fiery destruction, you win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$10,000 makes for a pretty long game. By the time players have amassed that much, they should have no trouble passing most tests, which may make the later goals anticlimactic.

Looked at on a practical level, how do you keep track of which supply planets you've visited while working towards goal 2? Take a face-down card off the deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Raven, I think yours is interesting, but would take a loooooong time, especially if you play with the Blue Sun Expansion!

BTW, the version in this thread isn't the most recent version. I did a newer one that I posted in one of the ship pack threads:

I like some of the theme of this one a bit more, but I'm still a little concerned at how to track the elements from the first goal (other than just keeping the cards, I guess).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefka Fox
msg tools
Played this last week and really enjoyed it. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.