Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long per player with all new players (assuming one player studied the rules)?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klatschi
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

we played a five-player game some time ago, 4 players were new to the game. The explanation of all game mechanics and every tech took me about one hour, maybe one and a half, they had a lot of questions.
Then we played for about 4 hours, having some time inbetween, where everyone was fooling around...

There is a very important aspect to speed up your game: There should be one "master of ceremonies" (most time, that's me, so the title is really appropriate), who introduces every phase to keep the people focused. We do this with Twilight Imperium, we are doing this with Arkham Horror, we are doing this with Exodus - complex games with a lot of acting players need moderation because one player being unfocused means, every one has to wait for him. If that repeats throughout the evening, people get angry and this can kill the whole mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave P
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished a 3 player 5 hour game.

Changing the movement rule to NOT use the tokens would definitely help.

I have some questions too, now that I've played, that I'll be posting in the rules section.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
5 player game. All new to the game but one person knew the rules. 3.5 hours.

It was brutal.

One thing that really sped it up for us is the action phase. Don't sit there and wait for each player to do their actions, just do them all. And if someone wants to react, they can react anytime they want.

Do the blind reveal of your actions, then everyone just goes ahead and does them. Remove population cubes, react, do whatever you need to do it. Do it all parallel. It will shave a solid hour from your playtime (and that phase is the most boring phase of all in terms of actual fun)

The movement tokens weren't so bad, we just moved the whole fleet with one token...but it still ate up a lot of our time and that would be my next pick for speeding it up.

Perhaps there needs to be a council vote option "D" that states, Ban movement tokens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.