Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: fantasy [+] [View All]
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for (another) two-player compatible fantasy-themed adventure game. Do you have any suggestions of fantasy-themed adventure games that have quests/quest fulfillment?

I already own:

Magic Realm
Return of the Heroes
Defenders of the Realm
World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game
Prophecy
Runebound (Second Edition) (also Sands of Al-Kalim, Midnight, and others)
Mage Knight Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game and Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lawrence. You have a lot. If you don't mind me asking; which of those you own do you like most, and why?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Hi Lawrence. You have a lot. If you don't mind me asking; which of those you own do you like most, and why?

I like Magic Realm most of all - by far! I rarely get to play, though (and my wife hates it). I sometimes play using the Realmspeak application but it's not the same as a face-to-face game. I think MR is the best fantasy adventure board game ever invented. I love the way each game session seems to create a new world, and how you can do almost anything in that world.

My wife and I enjoy Mage Knight and Runebound. I don't think they are very thematic, however. We've also overplayed both games.

My wife enjoys Return of the Heroes. I don't. I think it's nothing more than a pick-up and deliver game. I also don't like the artwork.

My son loves Defenders of the Realm. I think it's a fine co-op game but doesn't have strong theme.

...I guess I'm spoiled by Magic Realm, a game I love but can't often play. Either way, I'm open to new suggestions.

I also own Descent (both editions). Great game! I don't think it plays well with 2-players (my wife agrees).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nowhere near the level of complexity of most of those you mentioned, but Fantastiqa is one my wife and I enjoy playing together. It's a low complexity deck builder where you capture mythical creatures that help you complete quests.

Also, if you don't mind putting forth the money for expansions, The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is an excellent 2p game.

And I believe Lords of Waterdeep has missions that can be completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Myth and Shadows of Brimstone look very interesting. I didn't know about either!

newkillerstar27 wrote:
It's nowhere near the level of complexity of most of those you mentioned, but Fantastiqa is one my wife and I enjoy playing together. It's a low complexity deck builder where you capture mythical creatures that help you complete quests.

Also, if you don't mind putting forth the money for expansions, The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is an excellent 2p game.

And I believe Lords of Waterdeep has missions that can be completed.

You've made me curious about Fantastiqa (we have enjoyed our copy of The Road to Canterbury, a game by the same designer). We have Lords of Waterdeep and Lord of the Rings: The Card Game - both are very good games, I just forgot to mention them.

Thanks for these suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew P
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Pathfinder Adventure Card Game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D4RKSH33P wrote:

shakegulpyuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could hunt down a copy of World of Warcraft: The Boardgame (OOP), however, while you can play with two, it really is more of a 4-6 player game.

Some more:

Mice and Mystics
Legends of Andor

Not fantasy themed, but otherwise close enough, I guess...

Yedo

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jolly
United Kingdom
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence,

Claustrophobia might fit your bill, and it is designed for two players.

It is also still available (from Amazon in the UK for example), relatively cheap, and with only one expansion, unlikely to become a money sink like either edition of Descent.

And it's a great game!

Cheers,

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matt.jolly wrote:
Lawrence,

It is also still available (from Amazon in the UK for example), relatively cheap, and with only one expansion, unlikely to become a money sink like either edition of Descent.

And it's a great game!

Cheers,

Matt

Has no depth, quests, loot or experience system. It's Basically a tactical game and rather boring IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jolly
United Kingdom
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Has no depth, quests, loot or experience system. It's Basically a tactical game and rather boring IMHO.

Thomas,

A bit sweeping with your assessment of Claustrophobia I think.

You are right; there is no experience system, but this was
a.) not required by the OP, and
b.) not unknown in fantasy quest games.

Ditto loot.

For me, each of the scenarios represents a quest, and some of them are very different. Of course you can pick your own definition, but I think the main entry on Wikipedia serves me well : "In mythology and literature, a quest, a journey towards a goal, serves as a plot device and (frequently) as a symbol." I think Claustrophobia meets these requirements.

As for depth, I would be interested to know more about what you mean? For me it has interesting tactical and strategic decisions, an interesting world, and significant re-playability. That's good enough depth for me I think, but I do concede, that's just my judgement.

Bearing in mind that the OP has put Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game on his "owned" list of examples of games of this type, he is presumably comfortable with a tactical game (with incidentally very limited experience system) of this type. My own view is that Claustrophobia is superior to D&D:CR in every way except solo-ability.

As for being boring, that is clearly a matter of opinion; you think it's boring, I think it's fun. I note that you have rated Elder Sign as a 10. I like it lot too, although I wouldn't give it above an 8 - I would generally play Sentinels of the Multiverse or D-Day Dice first. But there are people out there (including one or two of my friends) who find Elder Sign boring; a repetitive die-rolling yahtzee game with enough theme tacked on to be too fiddly to be worth playing.

Boring then is very much a matter of personal taste, and I don't know the OP well enough to know whether my assessment of boring would in any way correspond to his. I think therefore it's an unhelpful comment.

Claustrophobia is not by any means my highest rated game, so I am hardly a fan-boy, but I think that your one-line, context-free dismissal of the game might be a tad harsh, IMHO.

Cheers,

Matt

PS On a different subject I see you are hunting for Ghost Stories: Black Secret - PM me if you would like to discuss a trade / sale (assuming we can control the ruinous postage across the pond!) M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO = in my honest opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
IMHO = in my honest opinion

IMHO = in my humble opinion

IMNSHO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set and Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) are both good games that fit the bill. Pathfinder is the simpler of the two in terms of gameplay (a bit like cooperative Talisman without the board) and set-up and also has permanent character development between quests. Descent is more complicated but given that you rated Mage Knight a 10/10 that's probably not an issue.

My guess is you'd like Descent a ton but Pathfinder is a more casual friendly game that supports up to five or six players which Mage Knight doesn't so if you can afford to try both I'd recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matt.jolly wrote:
Lawrence,

FYI he already owns Claustrophobia according to his list, gave it 9/10 too so I guess he likes it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
You could hunt down a copy of World of Warcraft: The Boardgame (OOP), however, while you can play with two, it really is more of a 4-6 player game.

Some more:

Mice and Mystics
Legends of Andor

Not fantasy themed, but otherwise close enough, I guess...

Yedo

Bye
Thanee

FYI he already owns Mice and Mystics, World of Warcraft: The Boardgame and Legends of Andor according to his user collection. He doesn't have Yedo but he does have Lords of Waterdeep.

P.S. He owns over 500 games, impressive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mb
One game I can't recommend highly enough is Duel of Ages II and is one of the most unique gameplay experiences I've had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played it, but I've heard good things about Darkest Night (First edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can score a copy secondhand, maybe HeroQuest? It's more of a kid's game, but good if you've got middle-grades/'tweens in the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I appreciate the replies!

As some have noted, I already own many games that were suggested (I didn't post them all on my original post). Still, many replies are making me reconsider games I haven't played in a while.

Complexity really isn't an issue for me. I am lucky to have a wife who doesn't mind complex games (she *loves* Mage Knight and has played Magic Realm, for example). I prefer theme over tactics, but a good mix of both is great. Runewars and Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game are (somewhat) wargames that we enjoy, both of which have an element of questing, but that's not what I'm talking about (War of the Ring (First Edition) is even better). I am specifically looking for an adventure game.

For me, Magic Realm is the holy grail. It's just too time-consuming, starting with a LONG set-up time, to play very often, but otherwise it's my favorite board game of all-time! Unfortunately, my wife (who is my primary gaming partner) hates playing Magic Realm. I can't complain too much about that since she plays so many other games with me.

Similarly, role-playing games aren't an option because she doesn't enjoy role-playing (and because my "real life" prevents me from being an active member of a role-playing group).

World of Warcraft: The Boardgame is good, but I think it shines with 4 players, not 2.

My wife and I enjoyed Duel of Ages Set 1: Worldspanner, but we didn't see it as an adventure game. Is Duel of Ages II more of an adventure game?

I am seriously looking at Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set. This looks promising (and my wife has already said she would try it out). I suspect this is an upcoming purchase.

Yedo also looks promising.

We own (and enjoy) several Flying Frog Productions games. My favorite is A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game... my wife's is Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game. Neither of us have enjoyed Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game, but I suspect that's because we don't think it plays well with 2 (and have never played with more).

We enjoy Arkham Horror, but not with 2 players. We didn't like Mansions of Madness.

I had great hopes for Legends of Andor. It seems more like a scripted puzzle than an adventure. Am I wrong? Similarly, I seem to be missing the appeal of Mice and Mystics: maybe we're playing the wrong way (it seems scripted).

I hope this helps to clarify what I'm looking for. I've (obviously) been on this hunt - for a great 2-player fantasy adventure with quests - for a long time. This thread shows that I'm on the right track! Thank you for the suggestions. And, please: keep them coming! (great discussion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.