Subject: So, what do you buy to get started for a casual group? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Betchart
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
Not looking to play in tournaments or competitively, but want to play with as many people as possible with options and variety.

What order do I buy things in?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting the deluxe expansions is a good start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrgamer gamer
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Besides the base game, i would say that the deluxe expansion "Assault on Ulthuan" is the expansion where you really get your moneys worth. This is because in "Assault on Ulthuan" you will get 2 new teams to play. No other expansion, deluxe or not, will provide that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the upcoming Hidden Kingdoms might change that with 4 neutral factions being expanded to be playable by themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend getting the core set and assault on ulthuan for the two additional factions. And as you're writing you want to play with as many people as possible you should definitely get cataclysm, as that expansion introduces official multiplayer rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, grab opaque backed sleeves. The Cards from Cataclysm might not match the ones from the Core set and Assault. Cards printed since 2011 are narrower by a millimeter or so. It's not much, but it is visible when you mix the cards together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Lister
United Kingdom
Southport
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd echo the above - the starter box and the deluxe expansions will give you the most flexibility, but depending on how much spare cash you have may dictate the order of priority for you. This is what I'd do based on the experiences of my group so far -

Starter box - 4 main factions - Empire (Human), Dwarfs, Orcs, Chaos. Also includes the game tokens etc., as you'd expect it might be difficult to manage without this.

Assault on Ulthuan - 2 more factions - High Elves and Dark Elves, as well as more cards for the existing factions. You should end up with an equal amount of cards for each faction adding this with the starter box. Significant extra variety being able to play the extra factions due to the additional permutations for standard 1v1 play.

Hidden Kingdoms - not out yet but will include 4 more factions as fully playable - Lizardmen, Wood Elves, Undead and Skaven. All 4 are already featured in neutral cards from every expansion right from the start, and can be used in decks already but will have to use the Kingdom board for another faction, so you'd effectively be playing as say Chaos with Skaven allies, or High Elves with Wood Elf allies. This expansion adds the Kingdom boards for these 4 factions so you can play as them in their own right, which gives you a lot more permutations for 1v1 play.

Cataclysm - includes rules for 3 & 4 player games, adds to the variety and options available. The utility of this one to you will depend on how many other players you have, and whether you can get them together at the same time. It is rather good though.

Legends - adds new mechanics and card types for the initial 6 main factions, as well as more cards of the existing types for each faction. Doubtless Hidden Kingdoms will include some Legends for those 4 factions too.

March of the Damned - Lots of cards for every faction, this introduced Lizardmen and Undead and therefore has a lot of cards relevant to them, which is why I've listed it last out of the deluxe expansions.

Add individual packs from the smaller expansion cycles to taste.

This is a great game though, highly recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd actually stick Hidden Kingdoms a lot lower on my recommendation list. For those of us with enough cards to build Wood Elf, Skaven, Undead, and Lizardmen decks already, it's going to be really neat. But, with only the deluxe sets, I'm not even sure Skaven and Wood Elf will be viable.

I'd recommend starting with Assault on Ulthuan, and, if you want to try six player games, Cataclysm. Then, if you're enjoying the game grab a copy of Legends. Then think about March of the Damned and Hidden Kingdoms in that order. You'll basically get two new factions out of it. (Undead and Lizardmen), but without picking up battle packs (which is probably a lot more serious than you want to get) Wood Elves and Skaven are probably going to be out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Betchart
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
It looks like I am picking up the Core and Deluxe sets to begin.

When is the ETA for Hidden Kingdoms?

Any of the smaller ones needed to balance anything out?

I heard one set is Skaven centric and one set is Wood Elf Centric.

Used to play tabletop in the early 90's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Corruption Cycle is Skaven focused. Morrslieb added the Wood Elves, so that's probably the place to start for them. Though, later sets did add more for both factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ETA for Hidden Kingdoms is about a week and a half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.