Popular Tags: [View All]
Doe Gibson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I thrifted a copy of Tank Battle this past summer, and tonight my husband and I brought it to the table.

So, this game came out when we were 9 years old, but neither of us had played it before. We had played Mission Command Sea a couple months ago, and we found it rather boring. Not wanting to play it again, we gave it away. Tank Battle was supplanted by Mission Command Land. The Mission Command series should have games that are better than their previous incarnations, so I was iffy on how Tank Battle would play for us.

The rules were simple enough. So we set up the board. I was occupying the high end with the brown units and Jacob was holding ground on the low end with the green units.

I placed my land mines on plots 62 and 64. I was attempting to protect my HQ so that I could protect my land mines. Having hidden mines is probably my favorite part of this game. Jacob had placed his two land mines in plots 32 and 48.

Green moves first, so Jacob got us started. We each did our first moves without firing. Then I pegged my board. Now we both figured it was best to start using at least one white shot right off the bat until they were spent. We expected our anti tank guns to get taken out fairly easily and didn't want to lose out on free shots.

On our second turn, I didn't hit any of his tanks and he didn't hit any of my tanks. Eventually we had our first battle with two tanks in the middle of the board. Turns out they were both 5s, and we wiped them both out.

On one turn I actually hit two of Jacobs tanks. Yay me! Then Jacob attacked one of my anti tank guns and took it out. (It took some time before someone finally got to use the spinner.) Tanks started getting hit hard. I was pretty excited when Jacob parked on one of my land mines (62). When I was down to three tanks, Jacob took two of them out with directs hits. Yay Jacob!

Now I was down to one tank, and Jacob was in a position to take out either my HQ or my ammo. But since it was my turn, I headed toward his nearest anti tank gun which was right in front of his fuel supply. I got right up to it and thought at least I'll get to use the spinner and take out his gun. KABAM! I parked on a land mine and never heard the spin wheel coming. Jacob won with two tanks still in play. Yeah, we'll be playing this again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.