Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Today I played OP3 and have come to a couple of conclusions...

1. Faction pure play can work...I took a fleet of mixed pure faction ships (Ent-D with Fed Crew and Valdore and a Science vessel with Rom Crew)and gave out enough headaches that people had to take some notice. I call this fleet a Federation Alliance fleet since during the Dom War Fed/Rom worked together.

2. The said fleet above faced off with one of the most heavily crossfactioned fleets in the OP and won, although it was tougher, it was done. I think being able to stack Cheat Death and Interphase Generators on one ship is a very very smelly geuda like cheese, (since I had to kill Kirk basically three times) but I ended up on the better side of the points total.

3. Cloaking is not OP, I faced two cloaking fleets today, (yes mine cloaked as well)but it only added to the enjoyment of the game and never deterred from it.

4. Cloaking mine fields, yes they are a pain in the ass, I faced off in my last fight against three well placed minefields. Since I had the Valdore and the Ent-D with Picard I went straight through them. With the ability of the Valdore to sensor echo out of them I never had to worry about them. The Ent-D took the immediate sensor action and was able to avoid all but minor damage to her shields which was quickly healed by having O'Brien.

Edit - Due to a misinterpretation of mine and reading too much information I played that wrong, not a game changer, I tended to stay out of the range of the mines in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chance M
msg tools
You cannot sensor echo out of cloaked mines. You may only use scan to reduce the number of attack dice. You may not perform any other actions (e.g. evade, sensor echo, etc.) until after your opponent first resolves the cloaked mines attack. If your ship lands within or your maneuver template is within range one of the cloaked mines, then you ship activates the cloaked mines effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Collected FAQ rulings here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13710985#13710985

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13845022#13845022 (3 posts)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not call ent-d and valdore faction build. Mixing ships from different factions into one fleet still let's you have the best of both worlds. Ok maybe it's not as bad as mixing crew and upgrades but if you were going pure fed the only way you can get a cloak is the defiant which at close to the same price as the valdore doesn't pack anywhere near as much punch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Whaley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. That is not a "pure faction" build.
In our OP events all your ships must be from the same faction with two caveats:
You can use Independents on your ships.
You can be playing for "Romulans" but your ships can be all Dominion ships (yes weird I know, but that is the TO's ruling).

So a true pure faction build cannot include ships from different factions even it they were "on the same side" during the Dominion War.
You can't even mix off faction cards (except for the as mentioned Independents caveat) on your ships.

But congrats on the wins nevertheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jiffk wrote:
I would not call ent-d and valdore faction build. Mixing ships from different factions into one fleet still let's you have the best of both worlds. Ok maybe it's not as bad as mixing crew and upgrades but if you were going pure fed the only way you can get a cloak is the defiant which at close to the same price as the valdore doesn't pack anywhere near as much punch

I don't know, it is still a semi faction build since the Valdore was fighting along side the Federation. Thematic might be a better choice of words though. While they are different factions as far as their races go, they were allies and did fight together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chance Gardener wrote:
You can be playing for "Romulans" but your ships can be all Dominion ships (yes weird I know, but that is the TO's ruling).

So a true pure faction build cannot include ships from different factions even it they were "on the same side" during the Dominion War.
You can't even mix off faction cards (except for the as mentioned Independents caveat) on your ships.

Using that logic, you couldn't use a Cardassian, Breen, and Jem'Hadar build . They are all separate factions that fought together on the same side during the Dominion war, but they are all their own factions... Kind of a grey area in Star Trek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
Chance Gardener wrote:

Using that logic, you couldn't use a Cardassian, Breen, and Jem'Hadar build . They are all separate factions that fought together on the same side during the Dominion war, but they are all their own factions... Kind of a grey area in Star Trek.

When it comes to the Breen and the Jem'Hadar, I don't mind them being lumped in as the same faction, since the only time we see them in the series is as part of the Dominion. I would have liked to see the Cardassians as a separate faction, though, as they were established well before the Dominion and were only part of the Dominion for (an admittedly large) part of the Dominion war, being their own faction both before and after the war itself.

But that may just be me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
Chance Gardener wrote:

Not really, in terms of the game a pure faction build would be all ships and cards from the same faction.

He said nothing about everything being from the same star trek faction or race.

I think the reason the cardassions were added to the dominion is because they would be a bit thin on the group for both sides without the alliance and also the cardies are present much outside of the dominion war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, actually I did, Fed ships/fed crew - Rom Ships/Rom crew. Since the OPs for this weekend are over here is my fleet list:

I.R.W. Valdore (Romulan 30)
Donatra (Romulan 4)
N'Vek (Romulan 2)
All Forward Disruptor Banks (Romulan 4)

U.S.S. Enterprise-D (Federation 28)
Jean-Luc Picard (Federation 6)
Photon Torpedoes (Federation 3)
Hikaru Sulu (Federation 3)
Miles O'Brien (Federation 5)

Romulan Science Vessel (Romulan 12)
Romulan Captain (Romulan 0)
Cloaked Mines (Romulan 3)

Total Point Cost: 100

I tweaked the list on Sunday to add in the 5 point Fed Torps, Command Tokens and Valdore(Captain) and took out N'Vek and the AFDB. Out of the two events I played I went 4 and 1 and placed 3rd and 4th respectively. I would have placed higher on the first event, but I flew the Enterprise off the board edge during a very intense battle with another Picard in a Vor'Cha, all in all the list above is semi pure in the fact that I did not cross on my ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Davitch wrote:
Yeah, actually I did, Fed ships/fed crew - Rom Ships/Rom crew. Since the OPs for this weekend are over here is my fleet list:

Assuming that was a reply to my post if you look at my quote i wasnt talking about you.

The point is mixing fed and romulan ships is still not faction pure. Faction pure would be all ships and upgrade from one faction.

Semi pure is still an advantage, for example taking the apnex just as a mine layer.

If you went few pure you would only have antimatter mines and no real substitute for the valdore other than another ent (which is a poor sub) and would loose you access to the donatra +1 from the valdore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.