Popular Tags: [View All]
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this link which explains how the border between USA and Canada came about. Apologies if this is common knowledge in these countries but it is the first time I have heard about it. It is interesting and sometimes amusing and bureaucratic.

http://www.upworthy.com/one-look-at-the-united-states-canada...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
History is cool! What is cooler than history? History with maps!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of "Fifty-four Forty or Fight!" can we just give Detroit and a few other places to Canada?

Probably too late for that. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a little surprised that they didn't mention The Pig War in this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
That border has no effect on Justin Bieber unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vancouver Island: Had it been claimed by Spain before the British settled it? If so, it (or rather, the southern part) would be US territory. Otherwise, the entire island would be British.

The American author Washington "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" Irving traveled to Spain on behalf of the US government to search for the document in Spanish archives. He couldn't find any document substantiating a Spanish claim, so the island become British. Decades later, long after the agreement by the US and Britain about the island's status, the document was discovered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
We'll trade Justin Beiber, Celine Dion and Avril Lavigne for Detroit & Cleveland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wondered why that little bit of Minnesota was north of that lake in what looks clearly like Canada!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:
We'll trade Justin Beiber, Celine Dion and Avril Lavigne for Detroit & Cleveland.

You can keep Beiber. Send Dion and Lavigne on over though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Instead of "Fifty-four Forty or Fight!" can we just give Detroit and a few other places to Canada?

Probably too late for that. shake

HEY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes I like that guys vids a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone Newby
Canada
Tupperville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW!;very interesting,I didn't know that!;does that mean as a snobby Canadian(since I stated some wrong information to them)I can't lord it over my American family and my brother that lives in SC any longer(hope he hasn't seen the video,he'II be waiting for me if he did)that I know more about Can.&U.S history then all them put together.----all kidding aside we get along fine,we are a loving family that holds hands across this nutty border.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cavan Cunningham
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I always wondered why that little bit of Minnesota was north of that lake in what looks clearly like Canada!

I recently watch a Netflix doc about the Canada-US border with the Angle featured. Exceedingly frustrating for locals who can't take their home grown produce with them when they reenter the US....even though those tomatoes were grown in the US!
Also,further along in the prairies where farming communities have suffered under the increased border security so that generational neighbours (see Canadian spelling) can see each other across a field but can't cross that field to drop off a bag of sugar (if people do that anymore), or the extra cost to ranchers who have to go further out of their way to get to land they own in Canada because the border services of both countries have closed "portals" dues to cost or security concerns.

Edit: I can't find it on Netflix so it must have been a doc on our cable service.

EDIT EDIT: found it: "Borderline" - "BorderLine explores the aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks as experienced by ordinary people living and working along the Canada-U.S. border. The film follows award-winning documentary filmmaker and journalist Daniel Sekulich as he treks across North America from the Atlantic to the Pacific on both sides of the international line." (Facebook)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:

Detroit? Eww, we don't want it. We'll give you Windsor though if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting video.

Thanks for pointing this out !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
The relationship between America and Canada has been an interesting one. I think historians could stand to make a broader acknowledgment of how many French-Canadiens left to live south of the new border. An entire branch of my family left Quebec after fighting in the American Revolution (ref: Rouses Point, NY), and a further exodus left to fight in the American Civil War. Then there were the relatives that lived in Colorado since before Napoleon sold it. Borders can be very fluid things, and ethnic identity can easily transcend the rather artificial construct of "nations".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
pete belli wrote:

Davey, we'll trade you Detroit, Pauly Shore, all of Congress (both houses), and a future 1st round draft pick for Rush.

A GG for the OP for posting this. I have long wondered why the little notch in Minnesota. Interesting subscript to this: in Northern Montana/Southern Alberta, Canada and the U.S. share a national park: Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park. If you ever find yourself in the area, it is worth checking out. I've been to 40 of the 59 U.S. National Parks and so far, this is the best of all those 40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:

you're keeping back Ellen Page & Sarah Polley? Lets see, unconvicted dimunitive American actresses with half-a-brain and obvious ability ....erm.... Natalie Portman, except she's Israeli ... Keira's British, along with Carey and the other one... there aren't many, are there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
pete belli wrote:

Windsor is already South Detroit, so it doesn't really count...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
you're keeping back Ellen Page & Sarah Polley?

If you take Ellen Page you have to keep her, so be careful what you wish for (*cough crap actress cough*).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
Vancouver Island: Had it been claimed by Spain before the British settled it? If so, it (or rather, the southern part) would be US territory. Otherwise, the entire island would be British.

The American author Washington "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" Irving traveled to Spain on behalf of the US government to search for the document in Spanish archives. He couldn't find any document substantiating a Spanish claim, so the island become British. Decades later, long after the agreement by the US and Britain about the island's status, the document was discovered.

yeah, that's too bad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
citizen k wrote:
The relationship between America and Canada has been an interesting one. I think historians could stand to make a broader acknowledgment of how many French-Canadiens left to live south of the new border. An entire branch of my family left Quebec after fighting in the American Revolution (ref: Rouses Point, NY), and a further exodus left to fight in the American Civil War. Then there were the relatives that lived in Colorado since before Napoleon sold it. Borders can be very fluid things, and ethnic identity can easily transcend the rather artificial construct of "nations".

Met a fellow in Seattle a couple years ago who was writing a book on the French Canadians in Washington State, into the 20th Century. As you suggest, there's a lot of history that people are unaware of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I might have discovered Point Roberts, Washington, a few years ago when I was trying find the city for the headquarters for Columbia Games in Blaine, Washington.

"One curiosity on the Canada–U.S. border is the presence of six airports that straddle the borderline. The airports were built prior to the US entry into World War II as a way to surreptitiously transfer US-built aircraft such as the Lockheed Hudson to Canada under the provisions of the Lend Lease Act. In the interest of maintaining neutrality, US military pilots were forbidden to deliver combat aircraft to Canada. The aircraft were flown to the border, landed, and then at night towed on their wheels over the border by tractors or horse. The next day the planes were crewed by RCAF pilots and ferried to the Atlantic."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada%E2%80%93United_States_bo...

There's also the Northwest Passage which Canada claims as part of its "internal waters" while the United States regards it as an "international strait".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:
Quote:
you're keeping back Ellen Page & Sarah Polley?

If you take Ellen Page you have to keep her, so be careful what you wish for (*cough crap actress cough*).

But more intelligent. If she's crap, what are the other 200,000?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any interest in the Mayor of Toronto? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.