Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephane Bassiaux
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, just wanted to post this I found on Gamespot today :

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-tabletop-vs-gaming/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good video. He brings up an interesting point that while video games are trending toward player-versus-player competition board games seem to be enjoying a surge in cooperative games, and of course most roleplaying games are cooperative as well. Personally I enjoy cooperative games more than competitive ones, whenever I see MMOS for instance that tout their great PvP play or multiplayer games that have no good team-vs-AI scenarios I get a little turned off. So I'm definitely in favor of seeing a similar resurgence in cooperative (aka care-bear) video games. Sure, shooting other players in the head is fun, but there's also a market for games where the players work together to beat the game itself.

As far as video games aspiring to have the same sort of social quality as physically sitting around a table talking with friends, it's probably not going to happen any time soon. Where video games have the advantage is in convenience; you can play video games virtually anywhere, anytime you want while talking with people over headphones or in your underwear or whatever. Board games demand a little more dedication, usually require scheduling a game session with friends or people in your local area, an occasionally lengthy set-up and take down time, and manually refereeing the game and managing bookkeeping and chits and cubes and whatever else by hand. But while they lose in convenience they gain in social dynamics, being able to see and laugh and snack with your buds for hours at a stretch.

So video games and board games are both great and both scratch different itches and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I"m pretty sure that one of the fellows from "Shut Up & Sit Down" is one of the people sitting at the table around 3:11. Looks just like him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoebe Wild
Australia
South Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
Cardboard Vault Reviews!
badge
mbmbmb
It is interesting that video games seem to be more single player and competitively oriented, and that he comments that they're less social than board games. My love of video games actually came out of the social aspect that they provided when I was growing up, and they brought me closer to everyone who participated in them with me. I could invite friends over, or even play with my mum or dad, and for a few hours or one game night we'd all be a part of that world. Whether it was Mario, Halo or Splinter Cell, the games brought us together and gave us a space to talk and spend time with friends.

Video games have been at the centre of many good social memories. But now that it's more and more common to play over the Internet rather than gaming (either cooperative or competitively) in person, I think some of this has been lost. Board gaming has stepped in to fill the gap for me, because it recreates that experience of face-to-face contact. In some ways it's better, because it doesn't rely on the players being able to use the particular console controllers and offers a much wider range of genres. It also doesn't rely on having enough controllers, or a big enough TV to make split-screen bearable (anyone remember 4 player split-screen? That was tricky..)

Long story short: Video games can be social, but a lot of online play detracts from that. Board games still have the intimacy and connection that video games used to have for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think video games are becoming more cooperative in the last couple years. Developers have started tacking on multiplayer on traditionally single player games, eg Mass Effect 3 with it's cooperative mode. EA has said that it won't publish any more games that don't have some form of multiplayer. With the rise of modern military shooters like Call of Duty, Deathmatch is a lot less common than it used to be in the early 2000s with the Quake and Unreal Tournament games. Now most multiplayer modes are team vs team, which I find is just as much cooperative as it is competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still primarily in the play video games by myself mode.
Though I now have a decent collection of Steam games I can play multiplayer.
Someday I should look into how to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is harder to play video games coop than it is board games. Board games you only need one copy of the game to play it with friends; video games you almost certainly need one copy per player. I'd like to see more video games with pass and play, or that allow for multiple players on one computer (whether that is sharing a keyboard, or with multiple controllers plugged in).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing video games in the same room still has some traction in the industry , but in that case only one copy is typically needed (unless we are discussing the portable market). And of course there is LAN.

But the larger market future of multiplayer video games is on the internet. And with video games being available at Humble Bundles prices (ie: $1.00 for six-seven games) it's not a burden for each player to have a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.