Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Woodford Green
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed and played a couple of games, just a little confused about how the Spinsterhood Agrees With You card works. It says it doesn't prevent proposals or Elopements, so I understand how that works with the Elopement events during the game, the actions like discarding your reputation still happen, but you can immediately remove the unwanted suitor. Does this use up the card, discarding it? Then during the proposal stage, do I just go straight to Old Maid? This seems like it is preventing the proposals.

At scoring time, do the character points on the Heroine card count? So Elizabeth gets 2 points for her base wit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erika Svanoe
United States
Menomonie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! I see the issue. I might actually try to make a revision before sending to print. A better wording would be "This card can remove a SURPRISE proposal or elopement, but not prevent them." That sentence was added to the card to deal with the interaction of the Surprise proposal card (and Elopement card) if they were drawn by the same player before or after the Spinsterhood card. The order matters obviously.

Yes, Elizabeth always has 2 wit which are added to her score. That is her special advantage. Jane has 2 beauty. Charlotte has 3 cunning which only helps her for the proposal stage, but they still work like cunning points.

Thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still confused after reading this.

If you have a surprise proposal and and choose spinster, do you discard the proposal?

If you get a surprise proposal when you have spinster, do you keep the card as an acceptance of the propsal, but then just not "marry" at the end? (effectively removing that suiter from the game)? Since you can't "prevent" the surprise proposal, it seems like that is how it should play out.

Lastly, can you accept a surprise proposal from a suiter and discard the spinster card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
What about this issue:

My wife drew the Scandal card
Later she drew the Spinsterhood card.

Can the Spinsterhood cancel the Scandal card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Saunders
Australia
Wollongong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
belial1134 wrote:
What about this issue:

My wife drew the Scandal card
Later she drew the Spinsterhood card.

Can the Spinsterhood cancel the Scandal card?

My understanding is that if you have the Darcy Surprise Proposal or the Wickham Scandal on your character, you can take Spinsterhood to remove them. In both cases you're still only promised to the man in question, so a change of mind with regard to actually marrying would be possible. To my mind you would have to actually choose to play the card as Spinsterhood (not as Draw 1 Play 1) in order for it to remove the other status.

If you currently have Spinsterhood and you draw either the Darcy Proposal or the Wickham Elopement, then they can take effect. In this case you have obviously had second thoughts about Spinsterhood. The Wickham card isn't a choice, but I'm not sure what would happen if you refuse Darcy's proposal - do you retain Spinsterhood? It would be in keeping with the bok to make it a choice; maybe you refuse because you have decided that spinsterhood is still the path for you, but maybe the proposal, though refused, still makes you reconsider your position.

So in answer to the specific question I quoted, if you drew the Wickham Scandal, Spinsterhood negates it *if* you choose to opt for spinsterhood - you swap marrying Mr Wickham at the end for marrying no-one.

My daughter won a game off the back of the Spinsterhood card yesterday. She got it mid-game, kept it, the developed her character free of the restraint of having to target the suitors. Then she rolled a '6' on the Old Maid table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.