Subject: Air Search question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lou Saccocea
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m continuing my exploration of SWWAS game system. I’m playing my first operational scenario and have a question regarding the correct way to apply the Air Search modifiers. Since search planes can originate from different bases (the Daily Content article further explaining bases was very informative), do all the distance modifiers apply for one search? It would seem in some cases to be counterproductive to have multiple units take part in the same search attempt as there could be a net negative effect, even applying the positive modifiers for the increased number of steps involved. e.g. if 3 bases are involved – with each base contributing 2 steps - 2 bases being 9 zones away from the task force and one being 2 zones away, the net modifier would be -4 +-4 +2 = -6. I’ve been playing so only the nearest distance modifier would apply, figuring any extra aircraft no matter where they are coming from would only help a search.

Also, it would seem that contact being achieved through 5.7 would satisfy the requirements of sighting for the following turn’s Air Strike missions, correct?

Thanks very much!
Lou
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Farthest distance modifier would apply.

Contributing steps are optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
"Reading history, Pinky..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lou,

As Carlos indicates, the air search rules in SWWAS are different from those in GWAS... for SWWAS, the number of searching steps in range of a given TF is totaled, the worst range modifier applied from all the steps used (note: you may balance the steps used / distance to target as appropriate), and a single die roll made.

In GWAS, searching is done base-by-base, so there is no ambiguity as to what modifiers to apply (however, this can result in multiple detection rolls being made against a given fleet). I am thinking of revising the SWWAS to this model, in the update.

Regarding the second item, per SWWAS 13.1, strikes may only attack TF's in port or those sighted by air search this turn or last.

-Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Saccocea
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much, Carlos and Jim! Appreciate the clarifications!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.