17 Posts

Quantum» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some rule questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
flag msg tools
Hello
I have some questions about this great game.

1.When i just load and unload a dice in a transporter(2) without moving the transporter did i losse 1 Action or is that the free ship abilitie and is it possible without moving?

2.following Game Status: research = 3 and Dominance = 4; then in my turn i spend 3 actions to get 6 in research => for that i choose the card Aggression which brings me +2 Dominance. With now 6 in Dominace i can place a cube and finaly i get another card because i placed a cube. Is that a legal and correct playing turn ?

One final note: The planets have different colors. Is that maybe an idea for expansions rules like "placing a cube in a red planets brings +1 movement action"? Thats what i realy like to see in future :-)

PS: Sorry for my bad english. I hope you understand my questions and i hope they bring the german rules soon :-)

ke1nk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vandeweyer
Belgium
Haaltert
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the game and this is how I see it:

1. I think you would actually have to move your 2 in order to use its special ability and so it would indeed take 1 action. You can't just jump over a 2.

2. If your research die reaches 6 you can pick a card in phase 2 of your turn and start using the benefits of the card in the next turn. So in your case the +2 for dominance happens at the start of your next turn. So you can't do that in 1 turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ke1nk wrote:

1.When i just load and unload a dice in a transporter(2) without moving the transporter did i losse 1 Action or is that the free ship abilitie and is it possible without moving?

The rules state that this ability is a modification of the move action. Though I am not sure you can spend an action to do a move, and move the ship 0 steps, I am sure you can't use the transport without spending an action on moving.

ke1nk wrote:
2.following Game Status: research = 3 and Dominance = 4; then in my turn i spend 3 actions to get 6 in research => for that i choose the card Aggression which brings me +2 Dominance. With now 6 in Dominace i can place a cube and finaly i get another card because i placed a cube. Is that a legal and correct playing turn?

We encountered the same problem, and unfortunately the rules are not clear on this one. We ruled in the same way you did, but I think we need some Zimmerman here :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phanthomus wrote:
2. If your research die reaches 6 you can pick a card in phase 2 of your turn and start using the benefits of the card in the next turn. So in your case the +2 for dominance happens at the start of your next turn. So you can't do that in 1 turn.

The white command cards that give you a permanent skill only count from the next turn on, but aggression is a black gambit card, and those must be applied immediately. Thus, I think you have to add a cube immediately and then you get to draw another card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Zimmerman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Ke1nk,
Great
questions! We worked hard on getting the rules to be clear and complete, but there is always room for improvement. My responses are:

1) About the Flagship [2]'s transport, your questions are addressed in the rules on the Ship Abilities page and also in the FAQ, but this is something that players do ask about. Phanthomus and Wyckyd, you are both correct on this issue:

- To transport, a Flagship must move 1 or 2 spaces. So you cannot do a zero move Transport.
- The transport ability of the Flagship takes place as the ship moves, so the use of the ability does use up an action. This is also the case with the maneuver ability of the Interceptor [5].

2) The timing issue is more complex, and is not completely addressed in the first edition rules. The intention of the game is the following:

- You always resolve Gambit cards immediately - as soon as you get the card.
- You always resolve an Infamy (Dominance reaching 6) immediately.

This means that on this issue, ke1nk is correct: on your example turn, you could in fact use actions to get your Research to 6, and in the cards phase of your turn, select a Gambit card that brings your Dominance to 6, which would allow you to immediately place a cube and draw another card.

What happened from a turn phases point of view is that Infamy was reached during the cards phase (which is perfectly all right). Infamy is more of an after-effect of Dominance reaching 6, rather than a particular player action. Player actions (using your three actions and ship abilities) can only take place during the actions phase of the turn.

Please keep the questions coming! They are *extremely* helpful for me as I begin to think with FunForge about what kinds of online rules FAQ supplements we might want to post, as well as what edits we might want to make in rules editions moving forward.

And thanks for playing Quantum! It's gratifying to hear that you are enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Hello
Thx for the fast answer. I don't understand the "you cannot do a zero tranport". We play it always with spending 1 action and it works good for us but rule is rule. It will hard for me to explain it to the other players ^^.

You also say the Intercepter is handle the same way which bring us to another problem. I think you can help us again. Rules say 1 move and 1 ability each die even if it changes its number. Now following situation. I have 2 Frigates(4) in orbital position from a planet(8). In my turn i spend 2 actions to contructed a cube on it. Then i change both Frigates. One in a Destroyer the other in a Intercepter. When i see the rules correct i can move either the Destroyer or the Intercepter without moving it diagonaly. But when i handle it like the Flagship(2) i just can move my Destroyer. This looks very confused for me. Please explain it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ke1nk wrote:
I have 2 Frigates(4) in orbital position from a planet(8). In my turn i spend 2 actions to contructed a cube on it. Then i change both Frigates. One in a Destroyer the other in a Intercepter. When i see the rules correct i can move either the Destroyer or the Intercepter without moving it diagonaly.

Ok, so far everything makes sense. You still have one action, so you can move either of those ships, as long as you don't use any of their abilities.

ke1nk wrote:
But when i handle it like the Flagship(2) i just can move my Destroyer. This looks very confused for me. Please explain it.

I'm sorry, I read and re-read this and I still can't understand what you mean here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Loophole Master wrote:

ke1nk wrote:
But when i handle it like the Flagship(2) i just can move my Destroyer. This looks very confused for me. Please explain it.

I'm sorry, I read and re-read this and I still can't understand what you mean here.

Hello
Its hard for me this to explain in english but i try. Look at this
ericzimmerman wrote:

- The transport ability of the Flagship takes place as the ship moves, so the use of the ability does use up an action. This is also the case with the maneuver ability of the Interceptor [5].

This means for me that the ability from Intercepter is part of its move too and so i can't move him in my case because i still use one ability with this die (change 4 to 5) earlier and i just can use one ability each turn each die even its number changes.

PS: The more i think about it the more it confused me :-( and i hope you understand me and the problem now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you move an Interceptor or a Flagship you don't HAVE to use its ability as well. You can just use an action to move them normally, just like any other ship, or you could use an action and its ability (if that die hasn't used one already) to move the Interceptor diagonally or the Flagship whilst carrying another ship.

So, to sum up: the use of the Interceptor or Flagship ability requires the use of a move action, BUT the use of a move action with them does not necessarily require the use of their ability.

Was that your issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Loophole Master wrote:
When you move an Interceptor or a Flagship you don't HAVE to use its ability as well. You can just use an action to move them normally, just like any other ship, or you could use an action and its ability (if that die hasn't used one already) to move the Interceptor diagonally or the Flagship whilst carrying another ship.

So, to sum up: the use of the Interceptor or Flagship ability requires the use of a move action, BUT the use of a move action with them does not necessarily require the use of their ability.

Was that your issue?

Yes i think you understand me correct and yes now i think i understand how and when to use the ability. Your last sentence clear my questions and should stand in rule book highmarked . So for my example i can either move the Destroyer or the Intercepter but just in the normal way, right. Thx for the help. Now i hope i can tell it to my friends and i hope they understand it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ke1nk wrote:
So for my example i can either move the Destroyer or the Intercepter but just in the normal way, right.

Exactly, they can still move, but without using their ability while doing it.

I'm glad I was able to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an easy way to think about it.

If you use a frigate's ability to turn it into a destroyer, the destroyer cannot use the warp ability in that turn.

If you use a frigate's ability to turn it into an interceptor, the interceptor cannot use the maneuver ability (diagonal moves) in that turn.

If you use a scout's ability to turn it into some other kind of ship (i.e., without consuming an action for "reconfigure"), you cannot use the special ability of that other kind of ship in that turn.

If you instead make any of these changes using the reconfigure action, and if you do that before using the original ship's special ability, then you can use the special ability of the new ship after the reconfiguration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pedro tronic
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And with the 1 dice...Could I do an extra attack with the special ability??
For example, I move 1 space to attack one enemy in front on me and there is another in my left wing, Could I attack with the movement, win and retreat my position in order to use my ability to make another attack to the enemy of the left?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vandeweyer
Belgium
Haaltert
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a nice combo and it is indeed what the special ability of a space station is ment for.

It makes space stations very strong.
If you attack and you would roll higher than your opponent, you can also use its special ability to attack once more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pedro tronic
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx...one more question, you transport a unit with the 2 and unload it in a surrounding space of enemies,lost the battle but you can't go anywhere..Do you lost the ship??

Example:
-----------PLANET---------------
|--2--|--You+Enemy---|------|
-----------------------------------
|-----|---Enemy--------|------|

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem here is one of two things:
1 - A Frigate (2) cannot attack if it's using its Transport ability.
2 - When you transport a ship, you have to place it in an empty surrounding space first. Only then can that ship execute its move/attack action. You cannot dump it on top of an enemy ship.

So there shouldn't be a situation where an attacking ship has nowehere to go after losing a battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pedro tronic
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, perfect...thx for all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.