Patrick Teubner
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
Hello,
I have a question regarding the text-dependency of this game. Since it's really hard to find this game in German and the English version is usually cheaper as well I'm considering buying this game in English.
The problem is: Some people of my regular gaming group don't speak English very well.
And since the BGG-page says "Extensive use of text - massive conversion needed to be playable" I fear, that we won't be able to play this game.
I have no problems reading and understanding written English, so learning the rules shouldn't be a problem for me and I should be able to teach the rules to everybody else.
Now my question is: Which parts of the game do require a solid understanding of English?
Would it be possible to play this game using a list, where every card is translated? Or would there be too much text for that (like: when you have to look up your cards every two minutes, that'd be far too often and would distract a lot)?
Which parts of the game except the cards would need a translation aswell?
And how different are base-game and expansion in this regard? Is there a lot more text when you want to play the expansion or does it stay roughly the same?
I would really like to play this game. Not only because I'm a HUGE starcraft fan, but also because it seems like a really solid strategy game with a lot of interesting mechanics (and no dice! I really like that )
Anyways: Thanks for reading this and thanks for your answers in advance. Please excuse my bad English

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Víctor Ochoa
Spain
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Most of the text is in the combat and technology cards. There is some text in each card explaining the special habilites of the card. I think it might be a little inconvenient if you don't understand the cards because the card information should be private. If you are going to play a lot, always with the same people, probably the end up knowing all the cards, but it's not going to be easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As above — it'll be tricky without knowing what the cards say. Might want to work up a translated reference sheet or something.

Also, your English is just fine! Couple punctuation and capitalization errors, but nothing outside of norms for a native speaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Teubner
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
Thank you, I rarely hear that
If I bought the game I would probably make separate lists with translations for every faction so players could look up the things they don't know. So that might help.
But it seems like it would still be pretty annoying to play that way

On a semi-related topic (I don't want to create a new thread for this):
Finding the base-game in German isn't too hard. But finding the expansion is a real pain in the ***.
So another option for me would be just buying the base-game without Brood War.
I couldn't really find a list on the internet of what the expansion adds.
Will I miss a lot if I only buy the base-game? Or is the expansion even necessary to make this game enjoyable?
I don't really want to mix a German base-game with the English expansion... I think that would be even more confusing than a complete English-only set

Thanks again for your answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Pansch
Germany
Goslar
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
As above — it'll be tricky without knowing what the cards say. Might want to work up a translated reference sheet or something.
Also, your English is just fine! Couple punctuation and capitalization errors, but nothing outside of norms for a native speaker.

I agree with this.
Your English should be good enough to understand what the cards say.
And a reference sheet can clearify things for everyone …

I have all rulebooks (StarCraft & Broodwar) in German as pdf from the game publisher (as well [like?] some other stuff).
I can send you per email, if you pm me.

Buy the base game and the expansion. StarCraft is much better with it! Should one have not your native language, be happy the other one has it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can definitely enjoy the basegame without the expansion. At least I did. But the overall consensus is that the game gets (even) better with the expansion and fixes some minor issues that you will only see when you see how the expansion fixes them

I bought my expansion in the States when I was on holiday. But it gets harder and harder to find a copy.

As it comes to language dependency: I'm afraid its true what BGG says. Lot of cards with lot of text. One example: When you research, you take your technology deck and look through the cards, finally ending up researching one of those technologies. Your friends will have to ask you for every other card what the text means. Additionally, Event cards stay hidden and you choose one of those you drew every turn. The game is pretty long itself. It will drag severely when your friends have to look up every card on reference sheets.

However: If you take time and explain them the cards and effects in detail, it might work out. It would be a shame if you have to pass on this game as it is really good.

But keep in mind: There is no more support for this game from FFG! So when you face missing or damaged components, you won't be able to get a replacement!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards use so called "keywords" and repeat many phrases so often that even players who don't know English well should learn their meaning quite fast.

The problem begins when players must check something in a rulesbook, which has >40 pages... Moreover, certain rules are imprecise; some of them are altered/covered by additional errata/FAQ file.

So that at least one player should know the rules very well to avoid unnecessary delay time for rules checking and discussion.

Players who play the first time should have a chance to ask some questions about cards in their whole deck before or during a game. Especially technology and event cards may cause problems, but they can be explained when they are chosen to be played or purchased. However, making a good choice from a whole technology deck might be time-consuming without a translated technology list.

Concluding: any player knowing rulesbook + its language well and additional sheets with translation should be more than enough to play for anyone, but several first games will certainly be difficult before everybody learn their decks to a satisfactory level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Teubner
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
Thanks again to everybody who has replied.
I've come to the conclusion that it would be best to buy the German base-game (because it's "easy" to get and... well... German) and add the English expansion (because it seems like the expansion is great and the German is nearly impossible to find).
Since it seems that the only things that really need a translation are the cards I would then sleeve them up and put a little sheet of paper with a German translation in front of every card. It won't look pretty but it should work out fine (I also did this a while ago with MTG cards).
The only things I'd need to know are:
1) Are there any differences in cardsizes (or motives on the back or colours etc...) between the English FFG-version and the German version from Heidelberger Spieleverlag? If there were, my plan obviously wouldn't work out.
2) Which sleeves should I get and how many do I need?

Also I've read that there are slight rules-differences between the English and the German version. Which rules would you recommend to use?

Thanks again in advance, I really appreciate all your help and advice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick_T wrote:

1) Are there any differences in cardsizes (or motives on the back or colours etc...) between the English FFG-version and the German version from Heidelberger Spieleverlag? If there were, my plan obviously wouldn't work out.

No differences, as far as I know, even though I only have the English version. But Heidelberger does not produce the games themselves. They only provide translation and publish the game in Germany. Production is still performed in China. And all other FFG games, published by Heidelberger, use the American card sizes. Guess there is no difference with Star Craft here.

Rick_T wrote:

2) Which sleeves should I get and how many do I need?

Also I've read that there are slight rules-differences between the English and the German version. Which rules would you recommend to use?

Thanks again in advance, I really appreciate all your help and advice

Use this geeklist:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/102880/card-sleeve-sizes-f...

I cannot help with rules differences, as I play with the English version. I haven't heard of any changes though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.