• [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what "the Newspaper strategy" is. If someone buys the journalist, and no one ever takes it from them, so they can get a free newspaper every turn, then yeah they'll probably win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Weeks
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to try it again, but it seemed that it came down to taking the newspaper guy away from each other back and forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Newspaper is an obvious strategy, and one which gets abused by newcomers, yes, because newspapers seem so inconspicuous. But it takes time to execute, and relies on other players not taking newspapers so the total amount of points counts up to a worthwhile amount. Just a few newspapers in the hands of others (especially of the more valuable ones), or forcing the game into a quick end state, is enough to deal with it.

In general: Coney Island is not a game where you sit in your own little world. Look at what others are after, how they want the game to end, and subsequently derail those efforts. Sometimes this requires a little cooperation from all players. Unfortunately most gamers never bother to explore Coney Island in this detail... their loss, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joelbear wrote:
I need to try it again, but it seemed that it came down to taking the newspaper guy away from each other back and forth.

Were you playing 2p? I haven't done that. Only 3-4p for me. The 2p dynamics might be quite different from what I'm used to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.