6 Posts

Legendary: Fantastic Four» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cosmic Threat Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Rimgar
msg tools
mb
Ok, I understand Galactus in particular can only be used once per turn.

The clarification I'm confused on is, can Cosmic Threat itself only be activated once per turn at all? Or can it be activated once per target that has the ability?

Also, it's a trigger effect right, not a "weakness"? I've had some arguements over whether or not cards that have already been played count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jynx KB wrote:
Ok, I understand Galactus in particular can only be used once per turn.

The clarification I'm confused on is, can Cosmic Threat itself only be activated once per turn at all? Or can it be activated once per target that has the ability?

Also, it's a trigger effect right, not a "weakness"? I've had some arguements over whether or not cards that have already been played count.

Cosmic Threat can be activated once per turn for each target that has the ability, and it only affects the target for which it was triggered. For everyone but Galactus, once you have triggered the ability, their strength remains reduced for the rest of the turn; for Galactus, it remains active until the next attack on him or the end of the turn, whichever comes first. This could matter for a hypothetical villain that has both Cosmic Threat and Burrow; after they had burrowed to the streets, their strength would remain reduced.

I am not quite sure what you mean by "trigger effect, not a "weakness""; you have to declare that you are now revealing the necessary cards for the specific Villain or Mastermind, and their attack is reduced based on the number of relevant cards you have at that specific time. Their attack is not reduced automatically, and once you have declared your Cosmic Threat, further cards you draw will not reduce their attack further.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobblySavage wrote:
Their attack is not reduced automatically, and once you have declared your Cosmic Threat, further cards you draw will not reduce their attack further.

Having said that, it makes sense to play all your cards including all their draw effects first, then declare your Cosmic Threat target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rimgar
msg tools
mb
The tricky thing there is if the drawing engines are the colors you need.

The argument we got into involved Wolverine. Usually you have a hand of 6 and it doesn't matter what order you really declare effects in, here there was a ton of Yellow at the end of the turn, and no way to verify how many he had in his hand when, plus the obvious argument over whether cards already played were included.

In reality though, he was just nursing a bruised ego cause he forgot to declare it and hated to miss out of the victories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitehouse
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify..

Let's say there are two villains on the board, each with Attack 9 and a Ranged Cosmic Threat.

Now let's say you have 3 Ranged cards in your hand.

Are you able to defeat both of these villains for "free"?

Edit: Follow-up question: Could you defeat both for free, declare Ranged against Galactus and attack him for 9 less attack?

Thanks,

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cygnusx1 wrote:
Just to clarify..

Let's say there are two villains on the board, each with Attack 9 and a Ranged Cosmic Threat.

Now let's say you have 3 Ranged cards in your hand.

Are you able to defeat both of these villains for "free"?

Edit: Follow-up question: Could you defeat both for free, declare Ranged against Galactus and attack him for 9 less attack?

Thanks,

David

Short answer: basically yes.

Longer, more mechanical answer: You may reveal your 3 ranged cards for Firelord 1, reducing him to strength 0. You then reveal your 3 ranged cards for Firelord 2, same effect. You then reveal the same three cards for Galactus, reducing his strength by 9 for the next attack. You can then proceed to play your cards, attack the Villains (remember you still trigger the Fight effects - but you can reveal one of the same ranged cards to counter his Wound), and have a rather productive round.

(ususal note that you can also reveal cards that you have already played and that are open on the table, and that you never have to reveal a card if you do not want to, if, for example, you want to feed the Wound to Colossus).

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.