Subject: Castles of Burgundy Storage Solution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
the kitster
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
As with many of you, I also feel that the generic Alea box insert is rather useless. Game storage ideally should assist game setup and break down. For CoB, there are not enough compartments in the generic box insert to keep each of the tile types separate.

My solution ditches the standard insert for Plano 3620. It's large enough for all the bits (and roomy enough to be used during gameplay as the pieces are easy to take out). Organizationally, it makes setup a breeze. And it fits perfectly inside the original box, with enough area to support the game boards on top.

1st row: Building tiles, Black market tiles, Trade goods
2nd row: Mines, Castles, 2nd Expansion tiles, Silverlings, Workers
3rd row: Knowledge tiles, Pastures, Trade ships, Bonuses
4th row: Dice, Spare dividers, Player markers and score tokens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks nice. I have an obsession with plano boxes.

I think I must be the only person who thinks the original insert is just perfect. We keep all the ships, castles and mines in the middle, the money and workers in the end, and the other tiles then each have their own compartment. I bag the dice and markers for each player and also the bonus tiles and the goods tiles are bagged separately. All the bags fit into that end trough with the silverlings and the workers. Set up is easy and convenient. We play this 2p mostly, and initial set up takes about 2 minutes, housekeeping at the end of rounds is probably 30 seconds and clean up is a minute or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our solution was to put all of our tiles in separate opaque colored bags that match the color of the tiles. Technologies in a yellow bag, Black central tiles in a black bag, green animal tiles in a green bag, etc. This way, we don't have to take them out, flip them over, shuffle them, etc. When we need yellow tiles, we draw them from the yellow bag, etc. It is great for randomizing them - saves time during set-up and take down.

I ordered the bags online. They come in five or six colors, and work well for games like CoB where you have to randomize so many different colored tiles. Storage is easy. Just throw the bags back in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean West
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
Our solution was to put all of our tiles in separate opaque colored bags that match the color of the tiles. Technologies in a yellow bag, Black central tiles in a black bag, green animal tiles in a green bag, etc. This way, we don't have to take them out, flip them over, shuffle them, etc. When we need yellow tiles, we draw them from the yellow bag, etc. It is great for randomizing them - saves time during set-up and take down.

I ordered the bags online. They come in five or six colors, and work well for games like CoB where you have to randomize so many different colored tiles. Storage is easy. Just throw the bags back in the box.

This is essentially what I did too. All the tiles that need to be shuffled are in their only little felt, drawstring bags that I made. With those in the bags, there's plenty of room for the tiles that are all the same to sit in their own wells in the insert then the player pieces and bonus tiles (etc.) all go in the large trough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Plano's for a number of our games. However, for Castles I find the Alea insert functions rather efficiently in both setup and cleanup for us.

We grab the castles, water, and mine tiles from one compartment and put them in a pile. We do the same for the workers and silverlings, putting them in on the other side of the board. We grab the goods tiles after mixing them up and randomly create stacks of five.

At the start of each round one person stirs the building, knowledge and animal tiles and places from a random handful and replaces any empty castle, water, or mine spaces. Similarly, the other person stirs the black tiles in the insert and places a random draw then places the stack of five goods tiles.

I think a plano would work here, but I don't feel it is helpful as other games like, say, Trajan... to stay within the Feld family of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have a good source for the colored bags?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My storage solution here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:

Gamer Mom
United States
Berwick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

She makes really nice token bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was going to start a new thread about this. I was confused as to how I am suppose to use the divider provided. Thanks Bill for the idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Peoble
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:

I bought some I found on Amazon and have been really happy with them. $9 for 12 good sized bags.

http://amzn.com/B004XDBSEW?tag=article-boardgamegeek-20

You can't pick the colors that come but mine came with a good variety. A green bag for the animals, yellow for the technologies, orange for the buildings, and then red for the black tiles. Yeah ok, so the color match wasn't perfect but it was only $9 for 12 bags. I was able to use the leftovers for Bora Bora also.

If you haven't explored doing this, it really helps speed up the game. I bag all of the random tiles in my Feld games and just pull from the bags when the board needs to be refreshed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peoblej wrote:
chris1nd wrote:

I bought some I found on Amazon and have been really happy with them. $9 for 12 good sized bags.

http://amzn.com/B004XDBSEW?tag=article-boardgamegeek-20

You can't pick the colors that come but mine came with a good variety. A green bag for the animals, yellow for the technologies, orange for the buildings, and then red for the black tiles. Yeah ok, so the color match wasn't perfect but it was only $9 for 12 bags. I was able to use the leftovers for Bora Bora also.

If you haven't explored doing this, it really helps speed up the game. I bag all of the random tiles in my Feld games and just pull from the bags when the board needs to be refreshed.

I just bought these...a great deal!

13 bucks (including shipping) for 20 cotton drawstring bags, matching perfectly. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:

asgelb wrote:

We don't bother getting "specialty" bags for our draw string bags, I went to a local liquor store that had a bar attached to it and paid 20 cents a piece for Crown Royal bags. Walked out of there with 17 of them for $3.00 and have plenty now for games that require random draws of things like tiles. Call around to some local liquor stores and ask them if they save their Crown Royal bags and sell them, many do and they're cheap I have so many now, I just leave the tiles or whatever inside them and pack the game up with the draw string bag already set up and ready to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gerdts
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
Another storage solution HERE - this one homemade, and for sale if you're interested:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianna
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I admit to be shrilling to expunge my guilt, as it's a bit too rich for my taste after I requested a price, but Nutsaks on etsy (and previously on Kickstarter) has felt bags close to the correct colors (the light green's a bit off perhaps:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.