Subject: Playing solo - Too easy, isnt it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I have this game for a while now, but only played it twice as I got it.
Now some months later, I tried it again, this time solo, controlling 4 investigators.

And well....
First game: Win
Second game: Starting with only 5 sanity - Lost
Third game: Also starting with only 5 sanity - Win

I am pretty sure I do everything right.
My tactic is to reveal all gates (with glasses) and reveal all Great Old Ones (with books) realy fast. I dont realy mind the monsters on the board, the only realy ugly one is the witch- if the witch comes up I try to kill her.

What I find realy easy is, if you have the board full with 6 monsters that are in the discard pile also.

The "attack" of the monsters with the die isnt realy that hard. Most of the time I roll an item I dont have.

I just wonder, because if you read through the forums the common sense is, that its a very hard game...

Of course, as I play solo, I have all information open regarding gates...

Would be realy happy if some people, who also play it solo comment onto their win/loss ratio

Next game I will start with only 4 sanity, but I guess that wont be much harder either...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Try playing it with 2 investigators. That's how my wife and I play it and it's hard. We probably won twice out of 6-8 plays or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
llopis wrote:
Try playing it with 2 investigators. That's how my wife and I play it and it's hard. We probably won twice out of 6-8 plays or so.

Well I was unsure about how many Investigators I play, but then I looked at the "User suggested # number of Players" here on BGG, and most people think its best with 4, so I went with that number

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure you are properly triggering the other (non-witch) creatures? If you have a full board all the time, it seems like you are going to be forced to discard a lot of items, and when you can't do so, Necron will sprint toward the end.

And of course if you draw the Necron creature card with the board full, he moves ahead 6. If you do that twice, you're in big trouble.

It sounds like you are also luckier with the die rolls than we are. Although we have some games where we hardly lose any items, we have others where most of the die rolls manage to hit what we have. Or they cause us to lose sanity when we can't afford to, or they cause Necron to advance.

Oh, and you are revealing 2 creatures per round, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Are you sure you are properly triggering the other (non-witch) creatures? If you have a full board all the time, it seems like you are going to be forced to discard a lot of items, and when you can't do so, Necron will sprint toward the end.

And of course if you draw the Necron creature card with the board full, he moves ahead 6. If you do that twice, you're in big trouble.

It sounds like you are also luckier with the die rolls than we are. Although we have some games where we hardly lose any items, we have others where most of the die rolls manage to hit what we have. Or they cause us to lose sanity when we can't afford to, or they cause Necron to advance.

Oh, and you are revealing 2 creatures per round, right?

Yeah I am sure I trigger all creatures right. As I said, perhaps I was realy lucky with the dice rolls...
Yeah Necron is quite hard, but in my games he never came twice in the same game.
Yeah 2 creatures per round.

Well perhaps I was realy lucky ... will found out in the next couple of games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure - it's not a solo game...2-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fela Kuti
msg tools
mbmb
What if I would play solo as two persons? I know players shouldn't exchange some information about portals to some extend,and if I would play all four players I would have known too much, but if I would play just two players version would I spoil the game by too much information I shouldn't have in normal two players game? The game seems nice but I usualy play my games alone so before buying any I want to be sure is it possible to play solo to prevent games from getting dust on the shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
H4msterbacke wrote:
Yeah Necron is quite hard, but in my games he never came twice in the same game.

I would guess he shows up twice in about a third of our games, and three times sometimes. It sounds like he must have been right near the bottom of the deck every time for you.

I'm trying to think of other possible rules errors:
- You can only kill a creature by discarding a dagger if Robert is at that location
- On turns that you seal a rift with an rune, you cannot also use a potion, book, or dagger
- Turn sequence is important: Move (mandatory), trade, roll, use, pick up
- Players can only trade items, not runes

Like I said, it is possible that you really did win your first three games. It just seems like you would have to be unbelievably lucky three times in a row.

EDIT: Have you played again since then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fela_kuti wrote:
What if I would play solo as two persons? I know players shouldn't exchange some information about portals to some extend,and if I would play all four players I would have known too much, but if I would play just two players version would I spoil the game by too much information I shouldn't have in normal two players game?

Sure, you could do that. First off, my wife and I play 2-player a lot, and we share portal information...and we win about half the time. You could easily play without sharing portal information: Just mark which player revealed which tiles, and don't let the other player seal those rifts. There is no other hidden information, so it should work fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fela Kuti
msg tools
mbmb
Thank You for Your detailed information! Now i just need to find this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.