Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I encountered a weird bug today. I was editing a geeklist item and wanted to link it to a different game entry (to be precise, from Sissi!: Die Bohnenkaiserin to Händler der Karibik. However, no matter whether I entered "Händler der Karibik", "Karibik", "Händler der" or similar things, the search function didn't find anything. Just for testing, I tried with "Onirim" (found only some foreign language entries) or "Tricky" found nothing, although there are several games with that word in the title.
It wasn't a temporary bug, as I gave up a couple of hours ago and just rechecked now. Any clue what's going on?

Edit: I should probably specify that the geeklist item in question is Item for Geeklist "Games for Geekgold (G4GG) - November 2013" .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot duplicate this. Perhaps the database was doing an update??

Not resolved. See here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for looking into it. The problem is still there (database update over several hours doesn't seem likely), but only for that one geeklist item. Other geeklist items can be edited normally. No idea what's going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to find the game using any of the methods you mentioned. I just went to your GL, went into Add Item, and was able to search and get the game (number 147999) just by searching for "handler" and looking down the list.

Sounds like a caching problem. Try ctrl-shift-R (Windows) or clear your browser's cache and refresh the page. If that fails, close and restart your browser; if that fails, try rebooting your system.

If none of that works, someone will need your operating system name and version, and browser and version to look into the problem.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
I was able to find the game using any of the methods you mentioned. I just went to your GL, went into Add Item, and was able to search and get the game (number 147999) just by searching for "handler" and looking down the list.

Sounds like a caching problem. Try ctrl-shift-R (Windows) or clear your browser's cache and refresh the page. If that fails, close and restart your browser; if that fails, try rebooting your system.

If none of that works, someone will need your operating system name and version, and browser and version to look into the problem.

Good luck.

Thanks again. None of it worked, I'm afraid. I am using firefox 25.0 under lubuntu 12.04. It isn't a dramatic thing, although I would like to change the game entry. Just wondering what went wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea what's going wrong. It's going to take one of the BGG programmers to figure this out, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem reappeared yesterday and today, by the way. Trying to add Farmageddon as a geeklist item, but the search function only finds the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can select it correctly at this time. "Farmageddon (2012)". I still have no idea. "Try, try, again"? (A really annoying English proverb.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tried at work. Same problem at a Windows computer, Firefox or IE. But it didn't occur when I tried adding an item to another geeklist, just in this one: Item for Geeklist "Games for Geekgold (G4GG) - February 2014 - How Time Flies"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HilkMAN wrote:
I just tried at work. Same problem at a Windows computer, Firefox or IE. But it didn't occur when I tried adding an item to another geeklist, just in this one: Item for Geeklist "Games for Geekgold (G4GG) - February 2014 - How Time Flies"

When I Add Item / Board Game, I can get Farmageddon for that GL. Ctrl-shift-R to clear the cache and reload? (I'm using Win 8, Firefox.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I add a new item to that list, I can add Farmageddon. But when I edit the old item, I cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Ignacio Sánchez Lara
Spain
flag msg tools
Same here Did you solve the issue?

I see no JS error. geekcollection.php POST returns 200 OK, and form data seems fine:
objecttype:thing
objectid:64016
addowned:true
addwish:false
wishlistpriority:1
force:true
ajax:1
action:additem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue was not solved, as far as I know - but I haven't encountered it again, either. It was a rare occurrence, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Toth
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HilkMAN wrote:
The problem reappeared yesterday and today, by the way. Trying to add Farmageddon as a geeklist item, but the search function only finds the expansion.

I just experienced this today and was going to submit it myself.

I added my Secret Santa Confirmation as Faras: The Mysterious Collection when it was a wrapped gift. After I opened the packages I tried to change the entry to Takenoko but the game was nowhere to be found. It appeared that only game expansions were coming up in the list. I cancelled out and tried again but to no avail.

I was able to change the list item to Dixit: Quest (and expansion) but again the original game in the series did not come up in search results.

Does this only happen when the original geeklist item reimplements another game or is otherwise listed as an expansion in the database?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't encountered the problem for a while, but it is possible that it just appeared when changing something from an expansion or so. In fact, I just tested that theory and could duplicate the problem. Does this help the powers that be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've encountered this bug a few times - my most recent example is My 2015 10x10 entry.

I find that once I've changed the boardgame item to an expansion, then I can't get back to any non-expansion games.

I've tried changing browsers, and Ctrl-Shift-R and nothing seems to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanya
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tathta wrote:
I've encountered this bug a few times - my most recent example is My 2015 10x10 entry.

I find that once I've changed the boardgame item to an expansion, then I can't get back to any non-expansion games.

I've tried changing browsers, and Ctrl-Shift-R and nothing seems to work.

I'm having this same problem as well. On the Secret Santa geeklist I had originally put my entry in as Munchkin: Waiting for Santa. Now when I try to change my geeklist item to Drum Roll, which is the game I got, I can only find Drum Roll: Expansion items when I type Drum Roll into the boardgame item box.

Here is a link to the geeklist item: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/181637/item/3612072#item3...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the problem when the geeklist item changes from one "type" to another?

For instance I have a geeklist of threads where identification help has been requested to figure out the name of a game. All the items in the geeklist are a Thread, but I am forever first selecting Boardgame and once i enter the thread number I can not go back and flip from Boardgame to Thread.

My workaround is just to cancel the geeklist item addition and get a new geeklist item. This to me seems to be the "design", even if it is a bit quirky.

I can understand that in some situations that it would be nice to change the actual geeklist item from one type to another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:

For instance I have a geeklist of threads where identification help has been requested to figure out the name of a game. All the items in the geeklist are a Thread, but I am forever first selecting Boardgame and once i enter the thread number I can not go back and flip from Boardgame to Thread.

My workaround is just to cancel the geeklist item addition and get a new geeklist item. This to me seems to be the "design", even if it is a bit quirky.

I can understand that in some situations that it would be nice to change the actual geeklist item from one type to another.

It's not about being nice - if you start a new geeklist item, you go toa different position in the geeklist and you lose the thumbs and the immediate tips record. That's often not an option.
I haven't tried with substituting games for threads, but the problem has now occurred often enough to show it's a real problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:

No this is not the problem.

The problem comes up when switching from a boardgame to an expansion, which are both considered the boardgame "type."

I just recreated it following these steps:

Step 1: Add an item to a geeklist and enter a base game and save it.
Such as Kingdom Builder.

Step 2: Edit the item, and change the item to an expansion, saving it again.
Such as Kingdom Builder: Nomads

Step 3: Edit the item again, and attempt to change it back to the base game. At this point the bug *should* rear it's ugly head, and you will be unable to find the base game.
Such as only seeing Nomads, Crossroads, Caves and Capitol when looking for Kingdom Builder.

So bottom line: this is a bug, not a quirky design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been reported again, this time in the Pay It Forward First geeklist (items 510 and 511).

So, this bug definitely still exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran into this before again, too, but this was only temporary.

There is a different but related bug that once you list something that is a board game expansion in a geeklist, you can't edit the item to become a non-expansion board game instead, it won't find those items then.

EDIT: See the above, far better bug description by
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.