Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing solo for the first time, I have a question. What do you do if playing solo and all the claims that you draw turn out to be in far corners of the board, with no chance to reach them in reasonable time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still put prospectors on the top of the deck.

Eventually an event should occur that replaces all the up cards with new ones.

Meanwhile you can work on passenger routes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forsman
United States
Ely
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If playing solo would not recommend top of the deck for bad stuff could happen to your prospector then, instead buy the cheapest ones in hopes of clearing everything out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Rubin
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaseki wrote:
After playing solo for the first time, I have a question. What do you do if playing solo and all the claims that you draw turn out to be in far corners of the board, with no chance to reach them in reasonable time.

I had this same problem. My solution was to bribe the clerk at the Southwestern branch office of the Bureau Of Land Management with $100, to flush the board and lay out 8 new claims. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time I play I am going to try to remove the cards from the expansion. If you have the Mayfair edition (like me) then you may not even realise that you have an expansion in there at all.

The expansion added New Mexico which means all of the territory (and cards!) associated with the southern portion of the map. I'm going to go through the claims deck before I setup and pull out any card that references a location south of Santa Fe. I think that is a reasonable thing to do because I would be inclined to suggest that the solitaire rules/scenarios were not revised once the expansion was released.

One point to note: be sure to pull out a proportionate number of event cards too. I imagine I will do that randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fisher
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a helluva time winning either of the two Denver scenarios because of irrelevant, useless claim cards. I can't see how you can win the Denver $50,000 scenario using just claims from the deck and passenger cards. It seems like you'd be shelling out too much $$$ on more useless claims, especially distant gold and silver claim cards that are expensive to claim.

In the Two Wolf edition which I own, in the $50,000 Salt Lake City scenario, it says you can remove one claim or passenger card each turn. But I don't know why you can't do that in the other solitaire scenarios, because the same difficulty can arise when playing them.

I'm now going to use that rule for the $50,000 Salt Lake City scenario in the other solitaire scenarios. Hey, I need the help. I'm not a natural capitalist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.