Merchants & Marauders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newb questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Lauzon
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

Just got the game, played it once by myself and once with a friend, just want to clarify some things that popped up.

1) During crew combat, if your crew dies, your captain dies?

2) the pirate sloop, would it still actively hunt for a non-pirate player captain even if it is horribly outmatched, say pirate sloop vs modded player galleon? wouldn't that be a free glory point for the player captain by defeating an npc?

3) npc pirate ships... unless i'm missing something, they dont seem to be worth the effort/money in repairs by going after them. sloop and frigate only worth 5/15 and a gp? in comparison a merchant ship still gets you gold/cargo and a gp if over 12 gold...

4) wanting to make sure i understand merchant raids... draw 3 cargo, if 4/4/4 come up, and 1 flee, 1 cannon, 1 mast come up and nothing is completely destroyed to 0, it is not necessary to roll... seamanship is it? to change/discard/add a card? you would then apply the 2 hits, take the 12 gold, the cargo that you can carry, and the gp and move on with applied bounty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

I'm a M&M noob myself but I'll try and help

1) Yes you got it right.

2) Very good question cool

3) 1 GP is always worth it if you can face the threat.

4) If you get the 12 gold for the Glory Point and are happy with it I don't see why you should roll Seamanship since you don't have to use the successes of the roll.
See this interesting thread for raids details, it helped me a lot:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1061019/special-weapons-in-m...

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theepum7 wrote:
Hey guys,

1) During crew combat, if your crew dies, your captain dies?

Yes

theepum7 wrote:
2) the pirate sloop, would it still actively hunt for a non-pirate player captain even if it is horribly outmatched, say pirate sloop vs modded player galleon? wouldn't that be a free glory point for the player captain by defeating an npc?

Yes, but since an opponent directs combat for the NPC, they usually try to flee as soon as possible. Anyway, you want the game to end at some point, right?

theepum7 wrote:
3) npc pirate ships... unless i'm missing something, they dont seem to be worth the effort/money in repairs by going after them. sloop and frigate only worth 5/15 and a gp? in comparison a merchant ship still gets you gold/cargo and a gp if over 12 gold...

Your mileage may vary...what if it's your last GP?

theepum7 wrote:
4) wanting to make sure i understand merchant raids... draw 3 cargo, if 4/4/4 come up, and 1 flee, 1 cannon, 1 mast come up and nothing is completely destroyed to 0, it is not necessary to roll... seamanship is it? to change/discard/add a card? you would then apply the 2 hits, take the 12 gold, the cargo that you can carry, and the gp and move on with applied bounty?

Sounds like you understand it correctly. As Tom said, there's no requirement to roll seamanship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Some have been answered, but I'll do all (since I'm a bit of a veteran in M&M ).

1) Short answer - yes the captain dies.

On exception exists however. If both sides lose their last crew in the same round and rolled the same succeses and pips (the last "Note" on p.14). I wrote something about that in an earlier thread - combat then ends without a winner and so no loser (and only when you lose, does your captain dies).

2) Yes, the small pirate sloop would still go hunt for a big galleon. Only when it has scouted for the player, does the NPC pirate captain discovers his mistake . The controlling player is then of course free to try and flee after the first mandetory shoot round.

3) The NPC pirates are really mostly there to make the player merchants take some other rutes unless they want to chance sailing close to the pirates.
The good thing about going after them is, that you can do so without getting a bounty. Also merchant raids are pretty difficult in a flute (nearly impossible) or a galleon.

Remember that you only non-pirates get any gold for defeating NPC pirates (so even less interest for a player pirate to go after them).

4) Like the other guy said, you don't have to use all succeses. You could probably get more gold - and if it's escape icons that you can handle without getting a failed raid, the gold is really free. Could also get you better cargo depending on what you drew before and what is in demand nearby. As long as you hold enough succeses in reserve to get rid of unwanted extra cards, you cannot go wrong with rolling seamanship.

I made some examples of merchant raids a while ago:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9680903#9680903
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Also - the last thing you mention about "move on with applied bounty".

You actually get the bounty immediately when you decide to go on with the merchant raid (after turning over the merchant token, one can decide not to attack). This is clear from example 2 on p.11. For merchant raids it doesn't matter (at least I cannot recall any cards that might be relevant), but for PvP combat it can be important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Thomason
New Zealand
Nelson
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
2. I have been lucky and taken a galleon with a sloop before, but that was my own sloop with special weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.