Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: NETRUNR [+] [View All]
John Reese
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I thought I'd post my decks, because that's what most (including myself) are the most interested in!

Runner (Kate / Atman)
Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder

Identity:
Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core)

Total Cards: (45)

Event: (15)
Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control) x2
Sure Gamble (Core) x3
Stimhack (Core) x2 ■
Infiltration (Core) x3
Escher (Creation and Control) x1
Indexing (Future Proof) x3
Scavenge (Creation and Control) x1

Hardware: (10)
Clone Chip (Creation and Control) x3
R&D Interface (Future Proof) x2
Desperado (Core) x3 ■■■
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead) x2

Program: (11)
Atman (Creation and Control) x3
Datasucker (Core) x3 ■
Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control) x3
Deus X (A Study in Static) x1
Femme Fatale (Core) x1 ■

Resource: (9)
Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow) x3
Daily Casts (Creation and Control) x3
Professional Contacts (Creation and Control) x3

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 5
Criminal: 10
Shaper: 51

The runner deck is your pretty typical Atman deck, so there really won't be a whole lot of surprises there. The biggest difference is the removal of Modded to make room for Indexing. As we all know it's an incrediably powerful card, and it fits really well in this archetype because our runs are generally super cheap. This gives us the ability to run R&D multiple times with little tempo loss.

Corporation (Haas Bioroid / HBFA)

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder

Identity:
Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core)

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (11)
Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus) x3
Accelerated Beta Test (Core) x3
Efficiency Committee (Creation and Control) x3
Gila Hands Arcology (Creation and Control) x2

Asset: (9)
Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) x3 ■
Adonis Campaign (Core) x3
Haas Arcology AI (Creation and Control) x2
Aggressive Secretary (Core) x1

ICE: (17)
Ice Wall (Core) x3 ■
Wall of Static (Core) x3
Rototurret (Core) x3
Grim (Opening Moves) x3
Bastion (Creation and Control) x2
NEXT Bronze (Opening Moves) x3

Operation: (12)
Trick of Light (Trace Amount) x3 ■■■
Biotic Labor (Core) x3
Hedge Fund (Core) x3
Archived Memories (Core) x3

Upgrade: (0)

Total Agenda Points: 20

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 43
Jinteki: 9
NBN: 3
The Weyland Consortium: 3

This is my variation of the HBFA archetype. The key difference is using Trick of Light over SanSan.

I've been playing HBFA ever since Vitruvius was released, and after many months of play testing and flip flopping between the two, ToL always felt a little better. With any style of play, there are both pros and cons.

What ToL has going for it:
- Though it takes a slight investment up front (advancing Ice Wall or Agg Sec), once it's loaded, you can score a 2 pointer out of hand for 1 bit. This makes siphon less of a threat, and allows me to drop under 6 bits to rez ice or perform other actions.

- It's untrashable. While the huge draw to SanSan is the 5 to trash to force the runner to lose tempo, I've found that it's just not that significant given the economy options that runners have. There is also a point in the game in which you could have none left, and Howard is either nowhere to be found or already trashed.

- Synergy with Efficiency Committe (and soon Shipment from SanSan). I've won two of my matches by using EC tokens to draw, find the agenda, and install / double ToL it out (again, only needing 1 bit)

What ToL has against it:
- Ice Wall. Obviously for this to work, you need an advanceable card. Ice Wall is the clear choice here, because it's such a strong piece of ice for corps anyway.

- Parasite is a thing. Based on game state and my opponents ID, I may opt to never rez the Ice Wall for fear it'll get killed by parasite. Given the meta is dominated by Andy, this really hasn't been a problem.

--------------

My deck includes a lot of other cards that don't seem to mske it into today's HBFA decks (using both archived memories and howard, no EVE campaign), so I'm opem to talk about any deck decision that you'd like to bring up. I just naturally assumed ToL vs SanSan would be the biggest debate.

This was all written on my phone on the way back home, so please forgive any typos that I may have made. I wrote notes for all of my matches, so i plan on doing a tournament report as well. I'm open to all comments, questions, and criticism. I've got a 12 hour ride back home, so I'll be here for awhile.

As always, thanks to Lukas and the FFG staff for hosting such an amazing event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
How did you finish? / What place did you get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reese
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I was 6th after swiss (9-3), but was bounced at the round of 16. I won the runner game 7-5, but I apparently didn't pay my workers in my R&D department well enough during my corp game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Compromised Employees. Not good for any corp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any comments on choosing the 2nd gila hands over dir haas pet project? How was the arcology Ai for you? Did you have enough advancement banks for tol consistently? Lots of barriers, no ichis or bigger ice. Anything you'd change on that mix going forward?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reese
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
flamejuggler wrote:
Any comments on choosing the 2nd gila hands over dir haas pet project? How was the arcology Ai for you? Did you have enough advancement banks for tol consistently? Lots of barriers, no ichis or bigger ice. Anything you'd change on that mix going forward?

Gila vs Director
I can see HaaS in a SanSan deck. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you take the ToL approach as there's not a whole lot I'd want to bring back (maybe an adonis or a Howard that got trashed via an access from HQ/R&D.

Not to mention, Gila hands is just an amazing agenda to have in your score area. If I can score Gila as my first or second agenda, it's going to be a good game. Installing an ICE or playing a card (archived memories, hedge fund) and then gaining 3 bits is a strong turn.

Arcology AI
I've gotten a ton of use out of this card, especially paired with an agg sec. Andy doesnt really run expose anymore, and us generally light on breakers. Depending on game state, it's a tough decision for the runner. Do ypu leave it alone giving me a 4 cost score from hand opportunity or risk losing a breaker. Many corroders were lost that day.

Advancement Opportunities
With 3 Ice Wall, I've never ran into the problem of not having anything to advance. Worst case I still have Biotic Labors and Arcology at my disposal.

ICE Selection
My only concern with the ice layout is runners figuring out that HBFA runs Grim now. I hit so many players with Grim in play testing, but worlds consisted of a lot of ninjas. It was a lot stronger when Andy only ran mimic and datasuckers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is your agenda-advancement philosophy? Do you ever try to overadvance Vitruvius, for example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reese
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
AstroLad wrote:
What is your agenda-advancement philosophy? Do you ever try to overadvance Vitruvius, for example?

The only adgenda that gets advanced is when I see a window to install and advance an efficiency committee. Between archived memories and howard I can reliably get another FA card in my hand without the risk and investment of an over advanced vitruvius.

The strength of vitruvius is pulling a card from archives without a click. But due to the fact that I only need one FA card per agenda per turn, I'm able to spend the next turn using the click on archived memories and then using Gila Hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
3Dwarlord wrote:
AstroLad wrote:

The only adgenda that gets advanced is when I see a window to install and advance an efficiency committee. Between archived memories and howard I can reliably get another FA card in my hand without the risk and investment of an over advanced vitruvius.

The strength of vitruvius is pulling a card from archives without a click. But due to the fact that I only need one FA card per agenda per turn, I'm able to spend the next turn using the click on archived memories and then using Gila Hands.

This is how I play HBFA as well, although I use 3x San San instead of 3x ToL. I generally try to avoid scoring efficiency committees at all, saving them as my 4th agenda which is going to either be San San + Biotic or double biotic.

I also run Archived memories, and love the look of dread on my opponents faces when I take the turn of: Action 1: Archived Memories this Biotic, Actions 2+3: Gila Hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, nice work, Reese .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Any chance we'll be able to catch some videos of the finals? I know they were streamed live, but I didn't have the time this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mavwick1 wrote:
Any chance we'll be able to catch some videos of the finals? I know they were streamed live, but I didn't have the time this weekend.

http://www.twitch.tv/ffglive/b/478131957
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, his play with Kate and this decklist are the contrary evidence to the claims that there is a "counter" to Atman any more than there is a "counter" to early Andy/Gabe aggression .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Held
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked your HB version a lot. Was surprised by the ToL & thought it was awesome...even though you scored it on me.

Had a thought of using Agressive Secretary as the main target for that though. Put it behind 2 pieces of ETR ICE & you'll pretty much always have a place to TOL from. If they run it, that works too, trash all their programs.

At least, those were the thoughts I had going through my head in the wee hours of the night in Minnesota.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome job, John!!! It was great to see you Michigan bros, as always!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question, is Green Level not a hot one in this? I mean, for the draw power and cash? I am sure you have tried it in some iteration in all of your testing, but any insight into how it played would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reese
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BazooKaJoe5 wrote:
I liked your HB version a lot. Was surprised by the ToL & thought it was awesome...even though you scored it on me.

Had a thought of using Agressive Secretary as the main target for that though. Put it behind 2 pieces of ETR ICE & you'll pretty much always have a place to TOL from. If they run it, that works too, trash all their programs.

At least, those were the thoughts I had going through my head in the wee hours of the night in Minnesota.

That's the backup plan so I don't lose the investment of advancing Aggressive Secretary.

Since you'll generally only get one advancement benefit out of Arcology (anything else the runner will immediately run/trash), I keep this consistency with the other advanceable cards by only advancing cards once (Efficiency Committee, Aggressive Secretary). This allows the runner never be able to make an assumption to what it actually is (program loss vs. FA vs. agenda).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reese
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Action Phase wrote:
Question, is Green Level not a hot one in this? I mean, for the draw power and cash? I am sure you have tried it in some iteration in all of your testing, but any insight into how it played would be appreciated!

I tried a very operation heavy variation of this deck (dropped ToL for 3x Beanstalk, Arcology/Agg Sec for GLC), but without any assests/upgrades to accompany the deck, I felt like it took another aspect out of the game for the runner. The only information that they didn't know was what the unrezzed ICE were. Also, with only agendas being installed, the server rendered useless extremely quickly, and was sometimes even non-existent.

For playstyle, we generally open with ICE on HQ/R&D and then quickly follow up with making a 2 ICE deep remote (preferably with cheap ICE as an inside job stopper). This should allow us to sneak out a quick non-FA'd agenda early on. We then use that remote, depending on what windows open up, for other assets.

R&D is the most ICE'd central. It's not uncommon for a run to cost 7+ against your conventional Andy runner with Grim/Bastion/Advanced Ice Wall, only allowing them to run every so often. Since HQ is easier to get into, we prefer to only mandatory draw into our agendas which is why I decided against GLC. There are times in which we do want to over draw (R&D lock), but it doesn't generally happen till late-mid game/late game. Having another FA option I've found was incredibly strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, that makes sense. Next question, an obvious one: why Grim over Ichi 1.0. Obv, they can click through, but 1 bad pub seems to go a long way against a deck with small ice and this many trashables. Care to elaborate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reese
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Action Phase wrote:
Okay, that makes sense. Next question, an obvious one: why Grim over Ichi 1.0. Obv, they can click through, but 1 bad pub seems to go a long way against a deck with small ice and this many trashables. Care to elaborate?

Grim's main purpose is to trash a breaker and create a window in which I can sneak out an agenda or two while the runner is rapidly digging for another breaker.

Ichi 1.0 and Grim have the same rez cost, but Grim does have the downside of a bad publicity. However, if done properly, the bad publicity just won't matter, because they don't have the necessary breaker to run (trash breaker, rush agendas, profit).

The plus of Grim for me is that it can't be clicked through. Against HB, a lot of runners will simply run on 1-2 when running unrezzed ICE to prep for any ICE that may require [click] or [click][click]. Grim is a forced trash if they don't have a Faerie/Datasucker with 2x tokens/Ninja, regardless of click.

Unfortunately (as expected), a lot of runners are fearing Grim in HBFA now and will immediately toss down a ninja or wait for a mimic/data sucker combo before running unrezzed ICE with programs out. However, it's probably now possible to use this innate fear as an advantage and go back to Ichi 1.0 for the extra subroutines and no downside of a bad publicity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3Dwarlord wrote:
Action Phase wrote:

Grim's main purpose is to trash a breaker and create a window in which I can sneak out an agenda or two while the runner is rapidly digging for another breaker.

Ichi 1.0 and Grim have the same rez cost, but Grim does have the downside of a bad publicity. However, if done properly, the bad publicity just won't matter, because they don't have the necessary breaker to run (trash breaker, rush agendas, profit).

The plus of Grim for me is that it can't be clicked through. Against HB, a lot of runners will simply run on 1-2 when running unrezzed ICE to prep for any ICE that may require [click] or [click][click]. Grim is a forced trash if they don't have a Faerie/Datasucker with 2x tokens/Ninja, regardless of click.

Unfortunately (as expected), a lot of runners are fearing Grim in HBFA now and will immediately toss down a ninja or wait for a mimic/data sucker combo before running unrezzed ICE with programs out. However, it's probably now possible to use this innate fear as an advantage and go back to Ichi 1.0 for the extra subroutines and no downside of a bad publicity.

I played about 5 games today with this, and I have to say: it's aight.

I am by no means proficient with this type of deck. In fact, I often scoff at the notion of playing a string of cards which allows me to do something fundamentally possible otherwise. HOWEVER, that has more to do with my playstyle than it does to archetype viability.

Now, my games were about 60% win, 40% lose, due largely to lucky R&D hits. I played against the gamut: Gabe, Kate, Noise, Kit, and Andy. The Gabe game was pretty intense, as I was on matchpoint, despite being Siphon'd 5 times in 7 turns--a nasty lock to get out of. He ran my deck, out of desperation, and blam, hit a 2 pointer. I am sure I prob made a few subpar plays, but, on the whole, I can tell the deck has chops.

My only real comments are:

1.) I could not get Haas Arcology AI to work, not once. I get the idea here, but part of me wonders if just cutting 1 Archived Mems and these for 3 Green Level is just a little more smooth. It doesn't seem like you would ever want to ToL FROM Arcology--though I suppose you could ToL ONTO Arcology. Either way, for 1 to trash, it just kept dying like crazy.

2.) The amount of trashables is worrisome against certain decks. I seemed to hit them with Grim, nailing a key breaker, BUT, in every case, they could weasel back into the game, at which point, they had free bucks to work with. I like the idea behind the assets, but I just like the idea of a card like Green Level which is working double time with draw power and bucks. I don't feel like this ICE suite is really suitable for trying to lure people in--unless you are on Agg Sec. Resilient breaker suites will find a way in, right?

3.) Grim... as mentioned above, the bad pub feels like it is exacerbating the issue with the assets. Ichi just seems a more natural fit, as they may be able to walk through anyway. I mean, if they are on Mimic/Sucker, they are gonna get through Grim. Faerie... get through Grim. Femme, well, it's the same cost to break Ichi. I get that they can burn a turn to get pile through, but it seems like if you place Ichi tactically, he could work pretty well. Maybe squeezing in another Agg Sec can help shore this up a little?

Other than that, thanks for sharing! Really cool list--and I totally agree with the ToL call!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brodee ee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
[q="3Dwarlord"][q="Action Phase"] I suppose you could ToL ONTO Arcology. Either way, for 1 to trash, it just kept dying like crazy.

you can only trick of light onto things that can be advanced, arcology can't be advanced while rezzed.

as a backup item to advance, you could even use it. with 3 counters and a trick of light, you could score a efficiency committee.
once it is rezzed, it is gonna die anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brodee wrote:
Action Phase wrote:
[q="3Dwarlord"][q="Action Phase"] I suppose you could ToL ONTO Arcology. Either way, for 1 to trash, it just kept dying like crazy.

you can only trick of light onto things that can be advanced, arcology can't be advanced while rezzed.

as a backup item to advance, you could even use it. with 3 counters and a trick of light, you could score a efficiency committee.
once it is rezzed, it is gonna die anyways.

Good point!!! Shame on me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing this a lot in the last couple of days, with a few minor changes:

-3 Grim
-2 AI Arcology
-1 Archived Mems
+3 Ichi 1.0
+3 Green Level

I finally got Arcology to work a couple times, but it didn't feel as awesome as I wanted it to be. Also, I keep getting these god awful draws with some combination of too many Archived Mems, ToL, and Biotics, and usually too many agendas and not enough ICE. I have been Siphon locked a few times, and I feel like Green Level helps with this, and lets me keep digging/keep my hand full. Perhaps I just have had rotten luck, but I keep drawing so many agendas and the aforementioned cards, but find it hard to keep my econ rocking as they pressure serves. RDI has been raping my face off, even when I build up a big server. Green Level has felt nice as a reboot from Siphon.

I am def a novice with this deck; I feel like I am about 50/50 thus far. It def is good, but you have to make a lot of calls that, as a guy who hasn't played HB since core set, I need to learn to navigate.

Oh, and thus far Ichi has been a nice change, though they did click through it once to snag an agenda, which def sucked ass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.