Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rey Armenteros
United States
Artesia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
An article on Realm came out this month on Casual Game Insider. It brings up a little of the history of the game and makes a mini-comparison with other abstracts. When I wrote it, I was looking to get the word out on this great game, and hopefully, that is what it does. (I need more opponents!)

-Rey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MobyNostromo wrote:
An article on Realm came out this month on Casual Game Insider. It brings up a little of the history of the game and makes a mini-comparison with other abstracts. When I wrote it, I was looking to get the word out on this great game, and hopefully, that is what it does. (I need more opponents!)

-Rey

Good job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a link?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Armenteros
United States
Artesia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you, Nestor! And thanks getting me in contact with Philip Orbanes. It wouldn't have happened otherwise.

Rey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Armenteros
United States
Artesia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Quinn. There's no link to the actual article yet (and I'm not allowed to give commercial links to the magazine site on BGG). Because the magazine just came out a few weeks ago and Casual Game Insider is still selling it, I assume I can't post it at least until some time has passed. I'll ask them if I can do so in the near future.

Thanks for the interest!

Rey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd rather lose to a good move, Than win to a bad one...
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
MobyNostromo wrote:

-Rey

Just read the article- very good.

& just registered on SuperDuper-
which version of the rules is used there:
1973 GoG, 2011 nestorgames, or ?

-thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Armenteros
United States
Artesia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the great comments! Are you a Realm aficionado too?

The version they have at SuperDuper is the Nestorgames one, which is the one with the slight modifications that Dr. Mikulas brought to the game - but with one change: In the scoring, they include captured bases for tie-breakers, but only if there is a tie in available enforcers. In other words, it's a three-tier tie-breaking system which neither version of the actual game supported.

At SuperDuper, they give you variations, like in most other board game playing sites, and when I want to come close to the 1973 rules (my preferred version of the game), I choose the 13-base variant. But the scoring system has no variations.

The one problem is that it's hard to get players. I've had an open challenge for two months before someone took me on. Most abstract players seem to be turned off by the rules, which are not as elegant as typical abstracts. Let me know if you have any questions or if you need help at SuperDuperGames. (They don't have the easiest interface; you have to key in letters and numbers to make moves. But it's the only place to play Realm.)

Send me a challenge if you don't find my open challenge. I'm aching to play again.

Rey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd rather lose to a good move, Than win to a bad one...
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
MobyNostromo wrote:
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the great comments! Are you a Realm aficionado too?

Rey

Not an aficionado, haven't even played it yet. just like abstracts.

I have a copy of the GOG 1973 ed. & have a copy of Sly also.
forgot that there were a separate rulebook inside the box (was just looking at variants on hinged cover).
Have been looking for F2F abstract players -very rare.
Looks like on line is best way.

thank you for advice and game invitation- maybe next weekend.

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Armenteros
United States
Artesia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes. The rules on the hinged cover are for the four other (lighter) games. Like Sly, Realm is a game system. I've got a couple copies of Sly too; there are a few really nice games in Sly.

For me, it's difficult to find face to face players. I've been doing almost all my Realm playing at SuperDuper.

I hope you like the game. The rules are a bit heavy at first, because you have to remember how many Powers do what in each realm for each of the three types of special events. But if you stick to it, you will find that this game rewards you with all manner of possibilities. Realm games can be distinctly different from one another, regardless if you're playing the same person or not; it's really amazing!

Rey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.