Subject: Leaders and crew? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
We tried this game today and had a lof of fun with it, definitely a good buy with good production value. We had one major issue that confused us though.

When is a Leader a Crew member?

One way to understand the rules is that a Leader always counts as Crew with three distinct exceptions listed on page 10. This would of course mean that a Leader takes up one of the six Crew spots on the ship, but also that a Leader is disgruntled along with the rest of his Crew if forced to by card instruction and that the leader tags along with a Shore Leave, for example.

But more surprisingly it would also mean that a disgruntled Leader could be hired by a competing Firefly in the same sector, and that is probably not the intention. Also, a Leader could be "killed off" as a Crew member but being disgruntled instead, and that is also probably not the intention.

I think a clarification is needed on this part because it felt pretty important to us. But again, we really enjoyed the game and will play it again as soon as we get the chance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh This issue is being discussed on other threads. More clarification on this is indeed needed from the designers, as different posters are forming different conclusions in related discussions, from Shore Leave to Disgruntling/Ungruntling for Captains specifically, etc.

I think its pretty much agreed that they do take up a crew slot on their ship, that they cannot be hired by other Leaders, and that they can be killed as crew for purposes of a Misbehave Card, (after trying to pass a Medic check if one is around), but if they fail or there is no Medic, then are Disgruntled and returned to the ship instead. The Page 10 "Leaders" section is correct as far as it goes, but requires more detail for these other situations.

Watch for a new (third) version of the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I treat leaders as crew in all respects except for the 3 listed points on page 10.

I agree that it's probably not intended that one player could hire away another player's disgruntled leader. Especially since two of the three special points about leaders are geared towards making sure you can't lose him/her. I'd be inclined to house rule that one as a no-go until an official FAQ answer is made available.

As for the other situations, I don't see an ambiguity nor do I have any problem with the leader being used in these ways. The leader can participate in jobs, and being glorious and special in his leaderiness, he is naturally not so easy to kill. He gets wounded, and then feels shame for getting hurt in front of his crew. =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Leaders don't have costs, do they? So they can't be hired.

I have toyed with the idea of shuffling non-used leaders into the supply decks with a hire cost of $500.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Boor
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a moral leader take an immoral job? Does he do the job for money and then hate himself for in the morning?
If the leader can't be lost by being disgruntled (and I agree he can't), where's the penalty for his being disgruntled multiple times? Is it really just that he costs the player $100 to gruntle and that's it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scott_Boor wrote:
Can a moral leader take an immoral job? Does he do the job for money and then hate himself for in the morning?
If the leader can't be lost by being disgruntled (and I agree he can't), where's the penalty for his being disgruntled multiple times? Is it really just that he costs the player $100 to gruntle and that's it?

If a disgruntled leader becomes disgruntled again, he fires all his crew. That potentially could be the loss of hundreds of credits spent to hire them. To avoid this, you must forfeit an action or two to get your leader some shore leave to rid him of the marker.

Of course, traveling alone would negate this problem, but I'm guessing most immoral jobs require misbehaving, which generally requires more crew.

There may be times, however, in which the payoff is worth the risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Boor
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And a moral leader can take immoral jobs? He just gets disgruntled by it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scott_Boor wrote:
And a moral leader can take immoral jobs? He just gets disgruntled by it?

Yes. However, some crew cannot participate in immoral jobs. Shepherd is the only one I can think of at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guro Bjerkan
Norway
FLAKTVEIT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that the leader is very, very lucky and gets disgruntled instead of killed. Unsure about the shore leave rule, but one would think the leader would be a bit happier to take some time off ship, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Ganis
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is it settled that if you need to kill a crew, you can just disgruntle the leader (and send him back to the ship)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeG wrote:
So is it settled that if you need to kill a crew, you can just disgruntle the leader (and send him back to the ship)?

More accurately, the crew is fired. They go back to the discard of their respective decks. However, you will need to then get shore leave for your leader (one Action + $100).

Why not just fire all your crew in a space with a planet. No disgruntlement required!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The captain doesn't fire the crew if he has a single Disrguntled token, though. Just if he would take a second. So you CAN send the captain back to the ship to sulk and recover from his wounds while the rest of the crew finishes the job. After that, Shore Leave is STRONGLY recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.