Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Han Seo
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You can smell the sweet chill of early dawn. The half-light of it starts singing dulcet tunes on your just-awakened shoulders. The dewy stars start running home, wishing you good luck. You take a deep breath again. Wearing a robe, which smells of incense, perspiration, peat coal and intense labour, you pray and thank for everything. Lying ahead of you, everything is wide open. Everything is up to you. You feel confident you can take everything under such divine protection. Pray and labour, hard, and you will earn in your own hands what you have worked for. It works wonders. Literally.

Ora et Labora is such an amazing game. Being not so much of a religious person myself, I love its peaceful and religious theme. I love all the little cardboard bits and bits and bits. I get such a kick out from moving around all those wee chits. Did I mention that you get to flip them as well? I don’t know why, but it gives me inexplicable joy.

My mountainous city at the end — look at how many cloister buildings I’ve got! I am so religious

It was my first proper 2p long game. Before this weekend, I have only played it once, which was a 3p game. I still vividly remember how blown away I was. I thought Agricola a ridiculously fun game, a work of art by a pure genius. Le Havre was even more absurdly fun. And Ora et Labora, dear God. That’s right, oh dear God.

I love how vastly open the game is. The game gives you a dazzling vast array of options, which can come off as intimidating at first, granted, but once you go past a couple of rounds, hey, not so bad. The game does give you a lot to micromanage, but that also means there is a lot of freedom of what you can do, which I appreciate so much.

My opponent’s seaside city at the end of the game

One thing I am curious about though, is that the 2p game today wasn’t too tight. It was a long time ago when I played my first 3p game, but if my memory serves me correctly, the game was quite tight. Like many people say, of course, it was probably not Agricola-tight, where things can be scarily suffocating sometimes, but I feel like the resources were more limited. Then again, my opponent and I are practically new to the game and I suspect it is partly because of the nature of 3-actions-in-a-row-woohoo of the 2p game.

I am to play a 3p game with my favourite players next weekend. We will see how tight the game will be. Can’t wait to make my fellow lay brothers completely inebriated presenting them with jolts of whiskey brewed by myself – or wine if you want to be French – and pray and work alone, creating elaborate wonders. Like I said, Ora et Labora, it works wonders. Truly.

Wonders!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan F
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job. Love this game too. As I only have played this 2 player I can say that it may not always be 'tight' but we have had many unexpected wins and losses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Wojtkielewicz
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
He who comes too late is punished by life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Ithought 2p long kinda dragged, where as 2p short was tight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.