Popular Tags: [View All]
John Webster
United States
PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just looking for some feedback on this build. The NOT ORIGINAL idea is to shoot out quick and deploy two cloaked mines to disrupt the chasing around the planet. I will be looking to transport 2 sets of troops and 2 mines to the planet surface turn one. After turn one I will use the science vessels to buttress the planet and try to keep them out of harms way. I will try to keep the Valdore Class ships in formation and focus their fire on individual ships of the opponent one by one.

Here it is:

Valdore Class (28)
Donatra (4)
Interphase Generator (3)

Valdore Class (28)
Toreth (4)
Interphase Generator (3)

Science Vessel (12)
Romulan (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)

Science Vessel (12)
Romulan (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)

As an alternate I am thinking of exchanging Toreth for Mirok not that great. An losing one Interphase Generator so that I can squeeze in the Elite attack die (5) ... I am also open to losing both Generators to get the Elite attack die (5) and I have one point left over.

This is my first time using Romulans, Cloaked Mines and Interphase Generators. I have 2 weeks to get this worked out.

Thoughts, Criticism and applause are all welcomed.

EDIT: I am trying to decide how to replace those 6 points. I like to stay faction pure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cullen
msg tools
I don't think Valadore's can take tech upgrades

Sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Webster
United States
PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Booger, Your right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cullen
msg tools
May I suggest tactical officers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would send down 3 mines and 2 troops first turn, and keep the Elite Attack Die in there! With 4 ships I think its pretty crucial to taking the planet early on.

I would change the list to this:
Valdore Class (28)
Romulan (0)

Valdore (30)
Toreth (4)

Apnex (14)
Donatra (4)

Science Vessel (12)
Romulan (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)

Elite Attack Die (5)

Total 100 points

I also found that one cloaked mine is plenty to get the opponent to go the other direction, leaving your Valdores to come in behind them through the mines. If you really really want that other cloaked mine, drop the two named ships to basic ones, but I think the other two ships are better than a 2nd cloaked mine. Also, if Donatra is on a small ship she will provide better support to the larger ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Webster
United States
PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your thinking with Donatra. I was thinking of using her captain skill to make the Valdore Class fire at a good time. It is much better to give a Valdore class +1 attack die.

Named ships: I do not like the Apnex special ability and I want to throw out two mines ... I bought two of those worthless ships to get them, so I am going to try them out.

My current build:

Valdore Class (28)
Romulan (0)

Valdore Class (28)
Toreth (4)

Science Vessel (12)
Donatra (4)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Parem (1) might come in handy to stop Fed shield repair.

Science Vessel (12)
Romulan (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)

Elite Attack Die (5)

Total 100 points

I can pump out well positioned mines at the start of turn two and still make full use of the transporting to the planet turn one.

I am curious why you would send more mines than guys on the first transport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Webster
United States
PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altashheth wrote:
May I suggest tactical officers?

The tactical officers just wouldn't do much to help against my local meta game. If I thought I would be facing more Federation, I might consider it. I will be facing Romulan and Klingon (with AWS) builds, so using target lock will be difficult.

The fact that one can target lock through the planet had me thinking about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why Two Science Vessels instead of one Praetus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Webster
United States
PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:
Why Two Science Vessels instead of one Praetus?

thats easy, more ground actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
webstergroup wrote:

Named ships: I do not like the Apnex special ability and I want to throw out two mines ... I bought two of those worthless ships to get them, so I am going to try them out.

I can't tell you how useful 1 damage straight to a ship (or multiple ships) is - they can't roll Defense against this attack! Plus its damage through the cloak. I think its the most beneficial 2 point upgrade you can get. Not to mention it discourages them keeping their fleet all together. If you put the basic pilot on it instead of Donatra you can also blow it up in their fleet before they get a chance to move.

webstergroup wrote:

I am curious why you would send more mines than guys on the first transport.

Its been my experience that mines (since you can't defend against them) are MUCH better than troops. Very rarely will you lose more than 1 troop in a battle, due to 4 unmodified dice. But using the elite attack die in your return fire from the mine can really swing things in your favor! I sent down 3 mines in the chance that I lose 3 guys. If they're only sending down troops the odds can be stacked in your favor when you go to attack.

Since you're running 4 ships, you can easily send down all 3 mines and 2 troops for 7 troops/3 mines total. Later turns, you can supplement the additional 5 troops down if you need to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Steiner
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I ran a similiar build this weekend for our local OP3 event and went 3-0 with two games taking the planet.

I ran

IRW Valdore 30 point
Toreth 4
Tactical Officer 3

Valdore 28 point
Mirok 2
Tactical Officer 3

IRW Praetus 14
Donatra 4
Cloaked Mines 3
Cloaked Mines 3

Command Pip Tokens 5
Attack and Defense Re-roll, Fixed Attack Die and Fixed Defense Die, +1 Attack Die

Took my three ships up the middle at 3, transported two sets of mines and a troop additions on first turn. Second Turn placed 4 more troops and a mine. Kept the planet between my fleet and theirs.

In two games I placed cloaked both mines out at the beginning of the second turn, one on each side of the planet. In one game, I held back a mine to use it as a movement detterent. I see mines more of a way to control where your opponent is going, does he want to chance the damage or avoid it. In the three games, Donatra died once and in another game the Valdore died.

And luck was on my side, I rolled at least 8 times for the Praetus cloak and never saw a battlestation.

Overall, I was surprised at how well this build did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Webster
United States
PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyd76 wrote:

I can't tell you how useful 1 damage straight to a ship (or multiple ships) is - they can't roll Defense against this attack! Plus its damage through the cloak. I think its the most beneficial 2 point upgrade you can get. Not to mention it discourages them keeping their fleet all together. If you put the basic pilot on it instead of Donatra you can also blow it up in their fleet before they get a chance to move.

You have convinced me to give this a shot. I was really wanting to hang on to Toreth but I will let go.

I am going to play test this weekend and see how it goes. I may have to track down a league to try this build at, before playing in my "keeping score" league.

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kelly
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One strategy for that is to send down as many mines as they have ships. If they only have a two-ship build one mine will sit idle for sure and if you get behind the curve on the troops on the ground it can be really hard to catch up.

The other thing I noticed if you get ALL your people on the planet, the opponent may opt for beaming none down and just go for the ships.

The biggest problem with four ship builds is maneuvering well w/out losing actions; bumping into your own ships will lose the match.

I'm flying a 4-ship at one event -- I don't expect to do well, the ships are just not powerful enough to deal with two really built out ships.

I think 3-ship may be sweet spot for this month; a couple big ships and one smaller ship; all with firepower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kelly
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyd76 wrote:

... But using the elite attack die in your return fire from the mine can really swing things in your favor! I sent down 3 mines in the chance that I lose 3 guys. ...

I wouldn't think that you could use the EAD with the anti-personnel mines for the same reason you can't use it with cloaked mines and the anti-matter mines (other than dropping the mines directly on a ship). However, I would use the EAD w/ the troop attack since it is a direct attack.

Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Webster
United States
PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to update after my OP3 event. In the end, I did not play any named ships.

I ran:

Valdore Class (28)
Romulan (0)
Parem (1)

Valdore Class (28)
Toreth (4)

Science Vessel (12)
Donatra (4)
Cloaked Mines (3)

Science Vessel (12)
Romulan (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)

Elite Attack Die (5)

Total 100 points

First game I faced another Romulan fleet. In this game well placed mines and some good die rolls took down two of my opponents ships quickly. My opponent did not try for the planet. I won with the planet.

Second game I faced a beefy Federation list. My opponent decided to plow through the mines and took heavy damage. I was able to keep the planet between us until he was weakened, then the Valdore class ships finished him off. The planet did not go my way early and I tried to get it back late in the game. Time was called. I won without the planet.

Third game I face a Klingon fleet with Donatra captaining one ship. I lost this game due to poor piloting on my part. My strategy was going up turn one and beaming down three mines and 2 troops. This left me uncloaked for a turn. Turn two, I tried to make a turn to put some distance between my opponent and I. My Science vessel hit the planet, My Valdore class hit the science vessel and my other Valdore class hit the other Valdore class. This bad piloting left my rear exposed. It got one of my science vessels killed and one of my Valdore class ships left with no shields. The mines did get 2 shots in on all of the Klingon ships. My opponent went to the corner after he killed the science vessel - essentially running out the clock.

To sum up - I would say the list was solid. I just played it bad in the third game. I would say the list was not swayed much by luck.

Time to think up something for OP4. I want to play the Feds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.